Watch: Shostakovich’s opera The Nose on-demand

Barrie Kosky’s new Royal Opera production of Shostakovich’s surrealist satire was livestreamed via the ROH YouTube channel.

By Rose Slavin (Former Assistant Content Producer)

9 November 2016 at 4.49pm | 6 Comments

Barrie Kosky’s new Royal Opera production of Shostakovich’s The Nose was livestreamed via the Royal Opera House YouTube channel, this page and The Opera Platform on 9 November 2016, and was available to watch for a limited period of time after the broadcast.

Russian composer Shostakovich began writing The Nose when he was only 21 years old. The opera is an adaptation of Nikolai Gogol’s short story and tells the story of a civil servant, Major Kovalyov, who loses his nose and launches a desperate hunt to get it back.

Read more: Our Opera Essentials guide to The Nose

Barrie Kosky’s production draws on the absurdity of Gogol’s story and the circus-like elements of the score to create a rollercoaster ride of theatrical styles and emotions. It received strong reviews from press and audiences – the Times noting in its five-star write-up that 'I don't think I have ever heard a Covent Garden laugh so loudly or so often'.

Subscribe to the ROH YouTube channel to receive notifications about future live-streams:

By Rose Slavin (Former Assistant Content Producer)

9 November 2016 at 4.49pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by Barrie Kosky, Dancing, live stream, Nikolai Gogol, opera, Russia, Shostakovich, The Nose, The Opera Platform, The Royal Opera, YouTube

1. Stuart Smith responded on 10 November 2016 at 8:31am Reply

Brilliant. Thanks ROH for screening the final performance on You Tube. Hope you will repeat the exercise with future standout productions.

2. Diccon Cooper responded on 10 November 2016 at 12:52pm Reply

Thank you for the Nose live stream. I come to the ROH regularly but this year we're living abroad so I'm missing it. The live stream gave me an opportunity to experience an opera I've long-wanted to see from afar. Thank you very very much.

3. I saw it live and was blown away by the performances, invention, humour and music! Thrilling absurd brilliance. How wonderful to find it streaming to enjoy it again. Thank you!!!

4. Alison Lees responded on 21 November 2016 at 9:32am Reply

I would never have thought of watching this but it was suggested to me, and I really liked it. Also I would not have been able to see it, if it hadn't been on YouTube. Thanks! (As I was watching, I thought 'teenagers would like this; it would be a good introduction to opera and classical music'. Then I thought. 'Oh, schools would not like this at all.' Pity.)

5. My goodness, how fantastic that you make this available over youtube. Well done ROH for reaching out and making opera a little bit more accessible!

6. Peter Gartrell responded on 5 December 2016 at 5:03pm Reply

Whilst not overly keen on Shostakovich, one cannot ignore a streaming nose.......