Watch: Summer Season film starring Royal Ballet dancers and an impassioned rendition of Norma’s ‘Casta diva’

Tell us what you think of our latest One Extraordinary World film.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

19 April 2013 at 10.27am | 5 Comments

A seedy motel room, a tender pas de deux from The Royal Ballet’s Sabina Westcombe and Tristan Dyer, and an impassioned cross-dressed channelling of the great Maria Callas – we’ve now released an extended version of our Summer Season film.

The trailer references the latest brochure cover image and was directed by Royal Opera House Audio-Visual Producer Tom Turner. Tom directed our Olympic-themed World Stage films and many of our production trailers, including Nabucco.

‘The film is primarily about transposing the sensation experienced by the audience, dancers, singers and musicians during a performance’, says Tom, ‘it aims to bottle that feeling of being fully committed and lost in the moment.’

‘I’ve tried to create a narrative that draws on the emotional connection performers and audience experience through our art forms. There is a sense of voyeurism in how we see this very intimate scene, in the same way artists and musicians deliver their heart and soul during a performance.’

The film was wholly created in house, drawing on the talent and resources within the Royal Opera House and filmed in one of The Royal Opera’s cavernous rehearsal rooms.

What do you think of the film?

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

19 April 2013 at 10.27am

This article has been categorised Off stage and tagged Film, Maria Callas, Norma, One Extraordinary World, short, summer, Tom Turner, trailer

1. ray gibbs responded on 19 April 2013 at 10:56am Reply

like . sufficiently provocative

2. Jon responded on 19 April 2013 at 2:07pm Reply

Excellent! Just a quick question though (I may be wrong)...but Tristan Dyer appears in this video, yet isn't it Sander Blommaert on the cover of the ROH summer guide?

3. Irina Gontsarova responded on 19 April 2013 at 8:00pm Reply

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for yours film.
    I hope it brings innocence and purity along the film have seen in the beginning. It's like a light in the end of tunnel.
    I am really impressed have not seen it for ages.

Yours truthfully
    Irina Gontsarova

4. Maria responded on 19 April 2013 at 8:21pm Reply

I love it. I want to see more!

5. Jessica responded on 20 April 2013 at 3:47am Reply

I think this is wonderful, and a brilliant idea. I am in love. I think this will revolutionize promoting live opera.

Connect with Facebook