Watch: Plácido Domingo In Conversation event streamed live by ROH on 12 October 2014

Opera legend to be interviewed by Antonio Pappano for free-to-watch event.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

15 August 2014 at 12.55pm | 10 Comments

Plácido Domingo's upcoming In Conversation event will be live-streamed on YouTube and here on the ROH website at 6pm BST on 12 October. The event will be available to watch online anywhere in the world (with a small number of exceptions).

Music Director of The Royal Opera, Antonio Pappano, will host the event, which will take place in the ROH’s Paul Hamlyn Hall in front of a live studio audience of Friends of Covent Garden and students. Tickets are very limited and will be available to our Friends and Patrons via a postal ballot. Members of our ROH Student scheme will be able to purchase standing places online from 10am on 2 September.

Tenor-turned-baritone Domingo is performing in two productions at Covent Garden during the 2014/15 Season; singing the roles of Francesco Foscari in I due Foscari and Giorgio Germont in La traviata.

The Spanish singer and conductor is one of the world's greatest opera stars and made his Royal Opera debut as Cavaradossi in Tosca in 1971. Since then he has sung 27 roles for the Company, and conducted PagliacciDie Fledermaus and Tosca at Covent Garden. Away from the Royal Opera House, his performances with José Carreras and Luciano Pavarotti as the Three Tenors won him worldwide renown and he continues to give many successful gala concerts, appearing at events including the 2006 World Cup, the 1992 and 2008 Olympics and the 2012 La Liga title celebrations for Real Madrid. He is currently General Manager of Los Angeles Opera and is deeply involved with humanitarian works and initiatives.

The live-stream of Plácido Domingo's In Conversation event is one of a number of streaming events in the pipeline. To ensure you don't miss out, subscribe to the Royal Opera House’s YouTube channel.

This event will also be simulcast on BBC Arts Online

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

15 August 2014 at 12.55pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged Antonio Pappano, In conversation, interview, live stream, Placido Domingo, stream, watch, YouTube

1. MONA CAYER responded on 8 October 2014 at 8:28pm Reply

Dear Placido Domingo, would you consider doing a duet, a love ballad or even Perhaps Love, with Barbra Streisand. This would be a dream come true for me. I know you hold her in high regard. You are my very special male singer all of my life, and she is my very special female singer all of my life. Thank you and God Bless you always and forever for bringing so much joy to my life!

• MONA CAYER responded on 10 October 2014 at 9:14pm

I wanted to add to this.. because as you know Barbra did a Partner's duet CD recently and it is number one on the Charts.. would you consider doing another duet Album with her, Josh Groban, Andrea Bocecilli.... just a thought.. or perhaps collaborate with her and other singers or just a cd with You and Barbra.. A CD with you and Barbra would be so devine! please please ..... You make me so very happy - you make me smile and my days better.. And I have a little Yorkshire Terrier Zoe which means Life in Greek, and who perks up when she hears you sing.. She is blind and dementia now.. but when you sing she sit up and listen.. with great admiration and I pray you respond to my questions as it would mean so much to me... being all alone with Zoe since my husband passed away .... you bring sunshine to my days.. Mona in Montreal, Quebec Canada.

2. Antonella Gasbarri responded on 10 October 2014 at 10:40pm Reply

Dear Maestro,
    first of all, I’d like to thank You, with all my heart, for the intense joy and wonderful emotions You bring us with Your divine voice and all the magnificent expressions of Your immense, unsurpassable artistic talent. Listening Your voice is always something very special: it can be electrifying or relaxing, but always bringing an amazing sensation of well- being. My question is related to all this: What are Your feelings every time You think to the enormous treasure ( profound happiness, fantastic emotions, motivation, strength, energy, relief from problems…) You give to millions of people, not only when we assist to Your live performances, but also in any moment of our everyday life (for example, since I bought your wonderful cd “Encanto del mar”, I simply can’t stop to listen it…) ? Grazie, Maestro!

3. Anthippi Fiamou responded on 11 October 2014 at 4:01pm Reply

I loved the way Maestro Domingo sang a Greek Folk song In GREEK in his latest CD "Encanto del mar" . He was ecelent, as always. Needless to say, I am Greek from the island of Chios.ΕΥΧΑΡΙΣΤΩ Thank you!

4. Andrew Storm responded on 11 October 2014 at 9:31pm Reply

Plácido, how do you think the public's perception of opera has changed since you first started performing, and how do you think your performance has changed over the last 40 years?

Andrew

5. Lan Xiao responded on 12 October 2014 at 7:31pm Reply

It was a WONDERFUL WONDERFUL conversation with Maestro Domingo! Thank you Maestro! Thank you Maestro Pappano! Thank you Royal Opera!

6. Gabriela Elena responded on 12 October 2014 at 8:31pm Reply

Thank you for this wonderful conversation event. Maestro Pappano did a great job, and Maestro Domingo was just gorgeous - authentic, honest, wise, yet charming and funny. Thanks again and toi toi toi for the 'I due Foscari' series.

7. Jane clay responded on 12 October 2014 at 9:13pm Reply

thank you for a most interesting evening and thank Maestro Pappano for asking my question

8. MONA CAYER responded on 12 October 2014 at 9:32pm Reply

Thank you dear Placido for the wonderful Interview. You are the best. I found the interview charming, funny, honest, and full of love and compassion. Thank you.
    May I ask if you see all the 23 questions posted here on this page if you could perhaps read them and give us short answers. Your time is limited I know.... but we would be so happy!

9. Janet responded on 17 October 2014 at 3:08am Reply

I was surprised Maestro Pappano couldn't recognize your voice with certainty, if not from the timbre, from the previously discussed passagio. Your passagio is always strong and resonant, without a trace of spread. Not so most other tenors, including Carraras. Perhaps it was G-d's gift to you of a very large throat that facilitates rising from chest tones to head tones so smoothly.