Watch: Rehearsals for The Royal Ballet's The Winter's Tale

The Company have been busy preparing for the return of Christopher Wheeldon's modern classic.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

31 January 2018 at 9.00am | 5 Comments

Audiences were recently offered a glimpse behind the scenes at The Royal Ballet as the Company rehearsed The Winter's Tale during a livestreamed Insight session. The event is now available to watch on demand.

Fast becoming a modern classic, Christopher Wheeldon's ballet is an adaptation of Shakespeare's late drama of the same name. The production was praised at its 2014 premiere, acclaimed by critics and audiences alike for its intelligent, distinctive and emotionally powerful story, told through exquisite dance.

As well as a chance to see Royal Ballet dancers rehearsing extracts of the work, the livestream also featured composer Joby Talbot exploring his score. It was presented by Clemency Burton-Hill.

The Winter's Tale runs 13 February-21 March 2018. Tickets are still available.

The ballet will be relayed live to cinemas around the world on 28 February 2018. Find your nearest cinema and sign up to our mailing list

It is a co-production with the National Ballet of Canada and is staged with generous philanthropic support from Kenneth and Susan Green.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

31 January 2018 at 9.00am

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged by Christopher Wheeldon, livestream, Production, The Winter's Tale, YouTube

1. Bridie Macmahon responded on 29 January 2018 at 10:01pm Reply

I am a Friend of the ROH and also subscribe to its YouTube channel, but I've just heard about this livestream from someone else. If an Insight is to be streamed, could you not inform your subscribers by email as well as putting the news on the website? Thank you.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 30 January 2018 at 3:04pm

Hi Bridie,

If you're a subscriber to our YouTube channel, you'll receive a notification before each live relay - YouTube will also email you notifications of livestreams and recent uploads.

Best wishes,

Chris

2. Simon Smith responded on 2 February 2018 at 6:55pm Reply

I very much enjoyed the livestream with a great balance between rehearsal and discussion. Fascinating to hear Christopher Wheeldon give such lucid explanations of aspects of his choreography and Joby Talbot's insight into his musical composition. I thought all three dancers, Fumi Kaneko, Tierney Heap and Akane Takada, were tremendous and I shall certainly try to book a ticket for this cast if I can fit in an extra visit.

3. Nina Battleday responded on 3 February 2018 at 5:57pm Reply

I subscribe to You Tube for the ROH and a couple of other organizations and have never received an email from them. I frequently check the ROH web site and find out that way.

4. Marilyn Sitaker responded on 5 February 2018 at 4:27am Reply

I love this ballet! Well done Mr. Wheeldon! One of the most effective translations of Shakespeare to ballet. Loved this with original cast-- Ed, Lauren, Zenadia, Steven and Sarah. I wonder if the Wishing Tree Chris refers to is the one in my old Capitol Hill neighborhood in Seattle?