Watch: Rehearsals for The Royal Ballet's forthcoming programme of works by Ashton

Join the Company as they prepare to perform three of Founder Choreographer Frederick Ashton's best-loved works.

By Asher Korner (Interim Assistant Content Producer)

2 May 2017 at 3.49pm | 8 Comments

An ROH insight into Frederick Ashton's style of choreography was livestreamed for free via the Royal Opera House YouTube channel on 3 May 2017 at 7.15pm GMT, and is now available on demand.

To continue The Royal Ballet's celebrations of 70 years in residence at the Royal Opera House, the event explored the three works that comprise The Royal Ballet's upcoming mixed programme of works by Founder Choreographer Frederick Ashton: The Dream, Symphonic Variations, and Marguerite and Armand.

Among other highlights, the livestream saw Zenaida Yanowsky and Gary Avis rehearsing Marguerite and Armand with former Principal-turned-Répétiteur Jonathan Cope, and Francesca Hayward and Marcelino Sambé being coached through an extract from The Dream. It also featured short interviews and a panel discussion exploring Ashton's legacy featuring Company Director Kevin O'Hare and former Principal-turned-Répétiteur Lesley Collier.

Subscribe to the Royal Opera House YouTube channel for notifications about future livestreams:

The Dream / Symphonic Variations / Marguerite and Armand run 2-10 June 2017. Tickets are still available.

The Mixed Programme is staged with generous philanthropic support from Lindsay and Sarah Tomlinson, Celia Blakey, Kristina Rogge, and Aud Jebsen.

1. Blueraspberry responded on 4 May 2017 at 11:52am Reply

Glad to see you remedied the slip re Gary Avis and Jonny Cope. Shouldn't have happened of course.

2. Joan Hopton responded on 5 May 2017 at 10:38pm Reply

Many thanks to the ROH for showing this wonderful insight evening. The dancing and coaching are a revelation and it is brilliant that so many of these fascinating events are now streamed online and remain on YouTube for us to enjoy again and again. (I've already seen it twice!)

Living 200 miles from London I did go to a few of the Insight days but the evenings are really too short to justify such a long trip and overnight stay so it's great to see them in the comfort of my own home and know that people all over the world are also enjoying them.

I'm just disappointed that next year it's been decided not to have an Ashton mixed bill. They are so popular and sell so well I'd hoped it might become an annual part of programming. It would be great to see some less well known Ashton as well as revisit some old favourites such as Patineurs and 2 Pigeons. I hope the Ashton mixed bill can be reinstated for the 2018 season.

3. ML responded on 7 May 2017 at 11:49pm Reply

Alexander Campbell is an excellent and engaging host! Well done! Thank you for the excellent Insight evening and the lovely work from everyone involved.

4. Heather Prophet responded on 8 May 2017 at 9:26am Reply

I really enjoyed this - Alexander Campbell is a natural at presenting too!

5. Berenice responded on 8 May 2017 at 11:34am Reply

Grateful thanks to ROH for opening their 'Insights' events to everyone.
    And to thanks to Gary Avis for his warm and touching appreciation of working with Zenaida during her career with the Royal Ballet. I will miss her rich interpretations very much but hope there will still be new and exciting performances from her elsewhere in the future.

6. joan hopton responded on 8 May 2017 at 8:37pm Reply

Just remembered I forgot to comment on Alexander Campbell's really excellent hosting skills and commentary. Look forward to seeing him host more insight events.
    Also the photograph at the top of the page with Francesca and Vadim. I didn't see them dancing together in the Event. Are they partnered together for any performance of Symphonic variations?

7. Regina responded on 10 May 2017 at 6:34pm Reply

It was a real treat to see Zenaida Yanowsky and Gary Avis rehearsing Marguerite and Armand with Jonathan Cope. It was quite different to other rehearsals I have seen. I shall really miss Zenaida Yanowsky's wonderful characterisation. She managed to transport me, I feel a physical pain of her plight during the rehearsal and it is a treat to be able to see it all again on line.

I shall also never forget seeing her turn Paulina into such a memorable character in The Winter's Tale. She shall be missed. Thanks to the insight team for organising the evening.

8. Nick B responded on 12 May 2017 at 11:41am Reply

Fascinating, informative and very enjoyable! Alexander Campbell made an excellent host.