Watch: Get fit with The Royal Ballet's new exercise video series

A new YouTube series covers some of the basics of ballet, presented by The Royal Ballet's Tara-Brigitte Bhavnani.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

5 October 2017 at 2.21pm | 28 Comments

Have you ever wanted to improve your fitness through dance but have no idea where to begin?

A new free-to-watch YouTube series from The Royal Ballet allows avid fans and newcomers alike from around the world to improve their fitness through dance-based exercises.

Royal Ballet Fit will see a new episode released each Thursday via the Royal Opera House YouTube channel and is presented by Company First Artist Tara-Brigitte Bhavnani. The first episode was released as part of World Ballet Day 2017.

'I guarantee if you can bring these exercises and tips into your daily life, you'll feel better about yourself, you'll stand taller and you're going to feel more confident', says Tara.

The first video explores posture exercises:

The second video explores exercises at the barre:

The third video shows techniques used in the centre of the rehearsal room, without the support of the barre:

Receive notifications about future clips like this but subscribing to the Royal Opera House YouTube channel:

The initial series is a pilot, so we'd love to hear your thoughts about the episodes.

What are your thoughts about the style and format? Do you feel they're pitched correctly in terms of difficulty?
Let us know by commenting below or via YouTube.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

5 October 2017 at 2.21pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Ballet fit, barrecore, exercise, fitness, Tara-Brigitte Bhavnani, wellness, YouTube

1. Angela Davies responded on 8 October 2017 at 10:15am Reply

Fabulous !!
    It should be on TV also
    (get everyone up of the sofa)

2. Ninfa Morgan responded on 8 October 2017 at 12:35pm Reply

Thank you for bringing us these series. I would like improve my fitness through dance and learn exercises at the barre and centre.

3. Ninfa Morgan responded on 8 October 2017 at 1:28pm Reply

I did the exercises of the first video. The style and format are clear and well organized. In my opinion they are pitched correctly in terms of difficulty. The exercises on the floor help me to improve my standing up position.

4. Sharoan Cohen responded on 8 October 2017 at 1:54pm Reply

5. Martino Imperatori responded on 8 October 2017 at 8:35pm Reply

Great video - great idea - congrats !!!

6. Ann Soll responded on 8 October 2017 at 9:26pm Reply

Excellent instruction. I look forward to future episodes of Royal Ballet Fit.

7. Jennifer Du Randt responded on 8 October 2017 at 10:08pm Reply

Amazing! Thank you so much for bringing to us a way of excersing that we can do within our own home without spending hundreds of our hard earned money on gym memberships, or classes that I will never really go to. I really struggle to do any excerise as I am really self concious so hate going to classes and the gym. Also I used to do ballet (at the sweet age of 3) and then much later on modern dance so I love being able to go back to exercises I used to do.

8. Meg responded on 9 October 2017 at 6:30am Reply

A couple of points: could the dancer not wear black? Very difficult to see what's happening. Could the camera film the dancer's side which is being corrected? Could you use a dancer who doesn't have sway-back legs? I thought the heels had to be touching while in first position.
    Looking forward to more videos.

9. Sue Syndica-Drummond responded on 9 October 2017 at 9:11am Reply

Excellent presentation!

10. Jane responded on 9 October 2017 at 8:44pm Reply

What a brilliant idea, these exercises are achievable for most and so clearly explained that I was inspired to have a go immediately. More please. Music is lovely too.

11. Georgina White responded on 9 October 2017 at 8:54pm Reply

Really enjoyed this. Felt achievable for someone who needs to improve their core. Can’t wait for episode two.

12. Deborah Kinney-Soltis responded on 10 October 2017 at 1:37am Reply

Fantastic! Pink would be nice, though.

13. Pilates instructor responded on 10 October 2017 at 1:15pm Reply

As a Pilates teacher (and former ballet dancer). I would prefer to see the exercises demonstrated in neutral spine - this student is exercising with a posterior pelvic tilt, flattening out the natural lumbar curve. This is common in ballet dancers but I think it would be more beneficial to demonstrate in neutral and for viewers to learn and exercise in neutral.

14. kate perry responded on 10 October 2017 at 2:39pm Reply

Well taught and well described. Perfect for the beginner, but anyone can benefit from going back to basics! Looking forward to more of these.

15. Harriet Lennox responded on 10 October 2017 at 6:05pm Reply

Looks great. Can I suggest another set of videos by men for men?

16. Mark Barrett responded on 10 October 2017 at 7:09pm Reply

Excellent - look forward to more of these videos being published

17. Merilyn Bartley responded on 10 October 2017 at 9:27pm Reply

These are great exercises that will help with posture and toning but nothing in this session will improve ‘fitness’. Is there an element of cardio to come?

• Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media)) responded on 11 October 2017 at 1:17pm

Hi Merilyn,

This is the first of three videos and is intended to serve as a warm up before the second two videos are released. Glad you like the exercises; let us know what you think when the next two are released later this week and the following week.

Many thanks,

Mel

18. Jennifer Barker responded on 13 October 2017 at 8:23am Reply

This is amazing - Thank you - I can already feel the benefit of doing these excercises - I am 71 and so need to develop core strength and balance - I hope these sessions continue.

19. Less intro - edit for a quicker pace to fit in more exercises

20. Elena Knight responded on 17 October 2017 at 8:23pm Reply

Really nice and clear and long-awaited ballet based workout from the Royal Opera House! Would be nice to see a full workout along with the short explainer videos. Thank you!

21. jan responded on 17 October 2017 at 8:47pm Reply

Engaging and nicely explained and demonstrated so, yes, I shall be watching more. But what about breathing, should I breathe in or out on performing the exercise? (Really enjoyed the music as well, makes the session feel like a ballet class.)

22. Marian Pesaran responded on 17 October 2017 at 9:07pm Reply

These are great warm-up exercises as it is very good to learn proper stability and squaring of the core before making larger movements. I do a lot of yoga and have learned that proper posture is essential in order to reap the full benefits of exercise. Slow, controlled movements are more intense. I look forward to the next two videos. Thanks for making and sharing this exercise series.

23. Gloria Johnson responded on 17 October 2017 at 10:46pm Reply

I am a Pilates instructor and loved the exercises, the music and the grace in the execution.

24. Nicky responded on 18 October 2017 at 7:59am Reply

I agree that you need to show the dancer without skirt etc to have a clear picture of the movement and again up-down angle with camera to see the subtle change of movement . Could be really clever and show the muscle structure you're working on in pictures like 4D so people really can see what their working on ?
    Good basic start .

25. Sue Dwiar responded on 18 October 2017 at 9:15am Reply

A great idea and thank you but it does not (unless I missed it?) say anything about considering your age or individual fitness. It's good a lady of 71 is doing them but I wonder if she has maybe done some dance and or Pilates before? Otherwise it could be a bit of a shock to the system!!

26. Catherine responded on 18 October 2017 at 9:23am Reply

Perfect pace & difficult excercises to get right. Speed is not the answer Aimee. Thank you RBS. What is the teacher's name? You should have introduced yourself a bit more thoroughly.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 18 October 2017 at 10:58am

Glad you're enjoying the series, Catherine.

The series is presented by Royal Ballet First Artist Tara-Brigitte Bhavnani.

Thanks