Watch: Eugene Onegin trailer

Kasper Holten’s new production of Tchaikovsky's iconic opera is one of the treats to look forward to in 2013.

By Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer)

17 December 2012 at 2.36pm | 5 Comments

Director of The Royal Opera Kasper Holten makes his Company directorial debut this Season with a new production of Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin.

One of the best-loved of all Russian operas, Eugene Onegin is based on Pushkin’s revered novel in verse. A classic of Russian literature, the story of Onegin, Tatyana and Lensky has haunted and intrigued generations of readers, and Tchaikovsky’s adaptation amplifies the tragic tale with a passionate and iconic score. Find out more about his composition of the opera.

Kasper’s production, which focuses on themes of memory and regret, opens in February. Watch Kasper discuss his love of the opera and what makes it special.

Eugene Onegin runs from 4 - 20 February 2013. Tickets are on sale now. The Royal Ballet will perform John Cranko’s balletic adaptation of the tale, Onegin, from 19 January - 8 February 2013.

By Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer)

17 December 2012 at 2.36pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by Kasper Holten, Eugene Onegin, Kasper Holten, Production, The Royal Opera, trailer

1. Gordon Turnbull responded on 4 February 2013 at 12:37pm Reply

Trailer seems to be designed to hide any indication of how the opera is to be presented on the stage. It is therefore a waste of time and effort - it signifies nothing. A trailer should give a good idea of what the production will look like.

I have held off booking for Eugene Onegin, an opera I love and want to see again, because new opera productions at ROH are almost invariably "re-interpretations" that are visually incomprehensible.

2. kirstie phipps responded on 6 February 2013 at 12:21am Reply

Quite agree with previous criticism - trailer absolutely pointless and useless. Gives no idea of production. Waste of time.

3. Nicholas Bryant responded on 21 February 2013 at 11:20am Reply

The two rather depressingly narrow-minded comments above are symptomatic of the malaise of some opera audiences. Opera and especially live opera is to be enjoyed as an emotional experience above all else. If I'm not moved by what I see or hear then how a production looks is not going to change that. The 'trailer' unlike most trailers shows us a fascinating behind-the-scenes insight into the emotional complexities that Onegin presents directors, performers and audiences. I found that the trailer did its job: I was there on the last night (Feb 20) to see only my third opera at the ROH and loved it. I suspect the two correspondents above didn't go. Oh well, it was their loss. Bravo ROH, Holten and his cast.

4. Dora Basham responded on 23 February 2013 at 2:35pm Reply

I have seen quite a few "traditional" performances and have directed an amateur production of Eugene Onegin,
    so this was an amazing evening. I loved it , especially
    the duel scene. The dead body on the stage for the rest of the opera was wonderful. A reminder for Onegin , that he could never forget!What a wonderful grown up production. Treating the audience to to such an emotional and deep characterisation of the main characters and allowing us the privilege of being part of the interpretation of the intriguing story. i took my daughter and grand daughter and we were all bowled over !! Terrific.........

5. Diana responded on 1 May 2013 at 10:59pm Reply

Agree, pointless trailer. Rather annoying actually. I definitely don't want to see this after viewing the trailer. Disappointing.