Watch: Classic clips featuring Carlos Acosta

As the curtain comes down on his new Carmen, we’d like to hear your memories of Carlos Acosta’s 17 years with The Royal Ballet.

By Ottilie Thornhill (Winner of the Kings Cultural Challenge)

12 November 2015 at 4.19pm | 14 Comments

As the curtain comes down on Carlos Acosta’s Carmen, we’ve picked out some of our favourite clips from the Royal Opera House YouTube channel featuring the choreographer and Principal Guest Artist.

Born and raised in Havana, Carlos joined The Royal Ballet in 1998 and was promoted to his current role in 2003. During his 17 years with the Company, he has danced many roles in the classical repertoire, from La Fille mal gardéeto Giselle and Manon.

Carlos has choreographed and performed his own work on the Covent Garden stage including Don Quixote – his first full-length work for The Royal Ballet – and Latin-flavoured Cubanía.

After his final performance in Carmen, Carlos will perform in Will Tuckett’s Elizabeth in the Royal Opera House's Linbury Studio Theatre. His future plans include founding his own company in Cuba.

Watch classic clips featuring Carlos from our YouTube channel:

What have been your most treasured memories of seeing Carlos Acosta performing with The Royal Ballet? Share your thoughts by commenting below.

A new book celebrating the dancer’s career, Carlos Acosta at The Royal Ballet, has just been released and is available from the Royal Opera House shop.

By Ottilie Thornhill (Winner of the Kings Cultural Challenge)

12 November 2015 at 4.19pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged by Carlos Acosta, Carlos Acosta, Carmen, Mixed Programme, Production, Viscera / Afternoon of a Faun / Tchaikovsky pas de deux / Carmen, YouTube

1. Anne-Marie responded on 12 November 2015 at 11:09pm Reply

I just saw his final Carmen - I couldn't stop thinking it is that last time that she will dance this with him and it was so poignant, so wonderful. His dance is captured on film etc so we will not lose him .... but still.....

2. Marilyn weston responded on 12 November 2015 at 11:25pm Reply

What a wonderful evening and send off for carlos acosta,wishing him all the best for the future,we have loved watching him dancd

3. María responded on 12 November 2015 at 11:49pm Reply

My memories are not from the Royal Opera House time but when he was younger instead. While he was a big star around the whole world, my ballet teacher (also acosta's teacher in Cuba) used to show us some old videos of his time in cuba. We were all just children and we couldnt believe such a big talent. This past winter we got to see him with also stunning Marianela dancing Don Quijote at the Opera House. It was so beautiful to get to see him finally after so many years been told about him.

4. Miranda Morad responded on 12 November 2015 at 11:54pm Reply

Honestly, I've been watching Carlos since I first watched a ballet about 10 years ago. I've never left the theatre unaffected. He always gives a memorable performance. I didn't see him in his earlier youth but I am always moved by his performances in a way that no other dancer has managed to do. And for me - Mayerling or Fille or Romeo is the best, or maybe Albrecht or Des Grieux. Which says it all really. Romance, Comedy, Tragedy - it doesn't matter - he reaches you and makes you laugh, cry, or swoon. Aren't we the lucky ones eh

5. Marilyn weston responded on 13 November 2015 at 12:05am Reply

Wonderful wonderful evening at the opera house,good luck carlos acosta,you have been amazing over the years......and what a cute little girl you have

6. Bayan responded on 13 November 2015 at 6:47am Reply

Carmen was splendid! But it's so sad to watch Carlos leave. It was a moving moment for all of us, can't imagine the Royal Ballet without him! But he's inspired so many young dancers and I hope we still get to see his work. I've been a fan of his dance and choreography for years and I'm so lucky I flew in from Saudi Arabia just to see his work and his last performance. What a legend! Wish him all the best!

7. Lynne responded on 13 November 2015 at 11:55am Reply

Saw last night's performance in Sheffield. He was phenomenal. The lead ballerina also was outstanding. Still thinking about the performance today. I wish him all the best in his new endeavours.

8. Valerie Knight responded on 13 November 2015 at 4:14pm Reply

Where do I start! We first saw him in Fille mal gardee at the Festival Hall. We took our grandson aged 9. When asked what he liked best in the ballet - "The man in the yellow tights". Hope Carlos has come to love them! I remember a gala performance of Don Quixote pas de deux with Tamara Rojo. Fireworks indeed. Des Grieux, Romeo, Albrecht, Solor, Siegfreid, Franz - whatever the role he brought it to life. I feel privileged to have been around to follow his career.

9. mrs. Perin Parri- Hughes responded on 14 November 2015 at 10:20pm Reply

It has been wonderful to see Carlos Acosta dance over the years. I remember being lucky enough to see the gala of Don Q and all the red flowers up the old staircase and the atmosphere were never to be forgotten. Well I never imagined that on Thursday night it was even more of an unforgettable experience. To bring your wife and daughter onstage and to share the evening with all the staff of the opera house -wow. When you especially thanked your ballerinas - wow, we were all laughing and crying with the emotion.
    Thank you for the many hours of brilliant dancing that we have enjoyed and good luck with your new school.
    By the way thanks to your coach he is a really friendly guy and obviously devoted to you. He managed the book signing at the opera house so well.
    Still high on all the emotion of Thursday night. Hope you had a good party afterwards!
    Perin Parri-Hughes

10. David Jones responded on 15 November 2015 at 6:14pm Reply

We thoroughly enjoyed the "live" streaming of Carlos's last appearance in Carmen on Saturday 14th in Bridlington.
    We now find that this performance was on November 12th! So much for "live streaming" from ROH. Very disappointing to find that ROH shows are not "live" streamed when they say they are "live".

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 15 November 2015 at 7:59pm

Dear David

Thank you for your comment.

The live stream was indeed on Thursday 12 November, when it was relayed to cinemas around the world. There then followed a number of 'encore' performances, many of which were this weekend.

If you have a look at our website you will be able to see clearly which performances are live and which are encores. If you feel that the information from your cinema was unclear it may be worth mentioning your concern to them.

Best wishes

Ellen

11. Sue Bowen-Jones responded on 17 November 2015 at 12:18pm Reply

Breathtaking final night and I feel so privileged to have been there to experience it. I have followed Carlos' career with interest and sheer joy - what an inspiration to other young dancers! The last 17 years have been a total triumph!! Suerte Carlos....

12. Lovely performances _ loved swanlake

13. Rhonda responded on 19 November 2015 at 9:17pm Reply

It has been a privilege to see so many wonderful performances from Carlos Acosta over the years and I was lucky enough to be at the ROH to see his final performance. I understand that although this was filmed, there are no plans to produce a DVD of the production. I do hope that this decision will be reviewed.