Twitter Q&A: Marianela Nuñez and Thiago Soares

Join us this Friday and submit your questions to the couple.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

16 October 2012 at 9.36am | 17 Comments

This Friday (19 October) Royal Ballet Principals Marianela Nuñez and Thiago Soares will be joining us for a live Q&A via Twitter.

What we'll be asking them is up to you, so send us your questions via the comments area below or using the hashtag #askthedancers. You might want to ask them about how they prepare for dancing in front of thousands each night, or what it's like for a real-life couple to be partners on stage too.

Marianela and Thiago will dance together in Swan Lake, The Nutcracker and Onegin over the coming months.
During the 2012/13 Season, Marianela will also dance in Viscera, Infra, Fool’s Paradise, Requiem, Concerto, Raymonda Act III, Monotones I and II, In The Night and Apollo while Thiago will dance in Concerto, Requiem, The Firebird and Méditation from Thaïs.

We'll ask them a selection of the questions from 5pm on the day, so make sure you follow us on Twitter before then.

We look forward to reading your questions!

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

16 October 2012 at 9.36am

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Q&A, Social Media, Swan Lake, twitter

1. Marc responded on 17 October 2012 at 7:19am Reply

Hi Marianela! How does it feel when you found out that you'll be dancing the Tatiana role in Onegin? Can you share the moment you felt when you first learned you got the role?

2. Lauren responded on 17 October 2012 at 2:12pm Reply

Question for both.

I am also a dancer, currently training to be a professional (hopefully) but now that i am training nearly everyday, what advice do you have to ensure that i keep my energy up and stay healthy so that i can perform to the best of my ability?! I understand nutrition, but when your day is so fast paced, that can go straight out of the window :-) Much love to you both.

3. J Gingell responded on 17 October 2012 at 7:52pm Reply

Marianela, your Giselle last year was devastating; I could hardly breath by the end of Act 2. It was the best Giselle I have ever seen. We are all just pining to see it again. Can we hope that the Cinema film will ever be available for us to buy?

4. Terry responded on 18 October 2012 at 3:33am Reply

I`m at a stage in my life where I feel realy fat,flabby and just plain overweight and out of shape. I haven`t studied ballet for a number of years. Hoiw do you stay so healthy, slim and in shape without gaining o pound?

5. KatiaDgz responded on 18 October 2012 at 5:14am Reply

Hi Marianela,

My question is, have you ever worried or had trouble with self image and weight . I know ballet requires certain body types, but have you ever experienced any trouble with not having the required body? If so, do you have any tips or advice you could give me?
    I trully admire you. Much love all the way from Mexico!

6. Myrto responded on 18 October 2012 at 1:51pm Reply

I would like to ask Marianela if there is a certain ballet that has a very special place in her heart ( I know that she loves many ballets but I would like to know if she picks out one of them). I would also like to ask, which role (or abstract ballet) of the new ones to perform, apart from Tatiana in Onegin, she expects more. Thank you!

7. Nina responded on 18 October 2012 at 3:22pm Reply

Hello.I have learned ballet for 10 years.
    I feel that it's very hard to keep your leg up high.
    Is there a good exacises or advice?
    Is there any advise to keep your weight & energy up??

8. Sahlen responded on 18 October 2012 at 6:48pm Reply

Thiago, as a Brazilian I think you must enjoy football?!
    Like ballet, it requires a lifetime of dedication to physical skills. Do you support any of the English teams?

9. Nuria responded on 18 October 2012 at 9:29pm Reply

Dear Marianela and Thiago,
    What would your advice be to ballet students who aspire to become professional dancers but who have not trained at places such as the Royal Ballet School? :)

10. Denise responded on 19 October 2012 at 1:48am Reply

Hi Marianela! (: I was wondering how did it feel like when you were first cast a principal role and when you became a principal dancer?

11. Denise responded on 19 October 2012 at 1:52am Reply

Hi to the both of you! Are there times when you two were too focused into a ballet you two are working on that you two continue to be in the character after work? Like for example Act 3 of Swan Lake, after work maybe Marianela is still in the evil persona?

12. Denise responded on 19 October 2012 at 2:16am Reply

Hi Marianela! I would like to ask how did it feel like when you first entered the company, first cast a principal role and when the moment you were made a principal dancer?

13. Lucia responded on 19 October 2012 at 3:58am Reply

For Marianela and Thiago:

1. The pas de deux from "Diamonds" is my favourite Balanchine; I'm desolate beyond words not to have been able to see you dance it together. What does it mean to you, and how do you see the subtle, changeable relationship between the two roles in it?

2. I see I'm not the only one asking this, but which of your roles are dearest to your hearts?

3. Are there any specific performances which hold precious memories for you? (Apart from, of course, the "Sleeping Beauty" after which Thiago proposed.)

For just Marianela:

1. Are there any people in particular with whom you work when you're learning new roles, or developing and polishing older ones? For instance, I understand that you learned "The Dying Swan" from Marguerite Porter; have you learned any other choreography from her?

I ask because the first ballet I ever saw was a televised "Sleeping Beauty" in which her Lilac Fairy captured my five-year-old heart. Then, when I became seriously interested in ballet as an adult, just three months ago, you stood out to me immediately as the ballerina who most truly embodied the beauty I was searching for.

In other words, I'd like to know what part my favourite Lilac Fairy of the past might have played in helping you to become my favourite of the present. :)

2. You have a delightful facility with Ashton's choreography. Is there an Ashton work you haven't danced that you'd particularly like to try in the future? How do you feel about dancing his ballets? What is unique about his choreography for you?

3. There are three pas de deux in "In the Night" — which will be yours?

4. If it's not too strange a thing to ask, what's your size in (street) shoes? You'll be so busy this season, I'd love to knit some pretty pink socks as a gift for your no-doubt-exhausted feet.

Thank you both for doing this. Whether or not you have time for my questions, I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say!

14. Suk Wong responded on 19 October 2012 at 12:19pm Reply

Hi Thiago and Marianela!

My first Swan Lake was with the both of you in Singapore perhaps in 2005. I have since seen both of you at Covent Garden. My question is, how has both of your interpretation change in various roles as the years went on?

15. Marine responded on 19 October 2012 at 12:20pm Reply

Question for both: How do you stay focus between acts? Is it hard not to loose the character?

16. Firstly, I would like to thank you both for sharing so many special performances at the Royal Opera House. Watching you two perform is always a joy!

I've got just a couple of questions:

1. Thiago - you are one of my biggest inspirations as a male dancer. You manage to bring out something different in every single role you dance. I was wondering who your inspirations were/are?

2. Last December I was watching the Nutcracker (for the first time at the ROH) when Sarah Lamb took ill and you both danced together (all rather last-minute!). There was something rather spectacular about that performance and I saw more in the roles of Sugar Plum and her Prince than I had in any other performance. I just wondered how you cope with last-minute performances like that, and how you feel it altered your dancing?

Thanks for doing this Q&A - I'm really excited to see you dance this season!

David

17. Eduardo Melendez responded on 23 October 2012 at 11:35pm Reply

I have a 13 years old daughter that is the principal at University of Cd Juarez Mexico and id the # 1 fan of Marianela.
    Her dream is to go to London to learn more and to be part of the Royal Ballet.
    I want her dreams to come true, but need some hints about how to go there and if there are some kind of help to do it.
    She has very good skills and is very disciplinated, she loves ballet.
    Please comment where I can find help to move in the correct direction.

Best Regards.