Tonight's performance of Tetractys - The Art of Fugue cancelled

Due to illness and injury part of the mixed programme will not go ahead.

By Ellen West (Head of Online Content)

8 February 2014 at 6.57pm | 22 Comments

[Updated with additional details on Monday 10 February]

We are sorry to announce that tonight’s performance of Tetractys – The Art of Fugue (Saturday 8 February) will not go ahead, due to an injury sustained by Natalia Osipova during the matinee. Thiago Soares is also unwell.

It is clearly an unusual step to cancel a performance, but the complex nature of Tetractys – The Art of Fugue has made it impossible to rehearse a second cast integrate new dancers into the cast in the time available.

We are hopeful that the cast will have recovered in time for the next performance of the mixed programme on Tuesday 11 February. [We have now published an update about Tuesday's performance.]

Rhapsody and Gloria will both go ahead tonight, but patrons will either have the option of leaving and requesting a full refund, or of staying for the two ballets and receiving a third of their money back.

We would like to apologize again for the inconvenience and disappointment caused.

By Ellen West (Head of Online Content)

8 February 2014 at 6.57pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged cancellation, The Royal Ballet

1. Stefano Trovò responded on 8 February 2014 at 7:46pm Reply

I was at the matinee... It was simply wonderful and moving...

2. Michael Perrott responded on 8 February 2014 at 9:18pm Reply

What a performance it was this afternoon with Nunez, Osipova, Lamb and Cuthbertson all in the same ballet. No other company in the world could put on that depth of talent.
    In Rhapsody Francesca Hayward more than deserved her four bouquets. James Hay was fab to.

3. Gillian Brown responded on 8 February 2014 at 9:21pm Reply

How sad. I, too, was at the Matinee this afternoon, which was brilliant.

4. Steve Vaughan responded on 8 February 2014 at 11:15pm Reply

A poor effort this evening, Royal Ballet. We were in the audience specifically to see Wayne MacGregor's new ballet and only heard of the cancellation as the evening began. At least there was a proper apology from Kevin O'Hare, but really this is not good enough. Injuries are common in ballet and there should have been a back-up plan for this eventuality. Quite honestly an offer of a refund of one third of the ticket when the one act cancelled is the one I suspect most of the audience was there for isn't really good enough. I can't help but think that the stories of Royal Ballet overstretch have some grounds. Whatever happened to the show must go on?

5. I was really looking forward to tonights performance, Osipova concussed and on rest for 48hrs... having seen the other two pieces before we were one of the few who left with the offer of a full refund! my tickets were put in a brown envelope marked with my name...with 'the promise' of a phone call to me on monday... not sure why I was not sent to the open box office for immediate satisfaction, anyway slightly worrying.. everyone else seeing part of the evening was offered a partial refund by the director no less, the decent thing to do in the circumstances. I got a taxi in realising it was an early start too!... oh well, not a massive trek for me. All very unfortunate, but if you have only one cast I suppose this is why you don't... cripes. Was it good was it bad, maybe I'll never know.....

6. David Gifford responded on 9 February 2014 at 12:29am Reply

Why was there not a second cast, as is usual? This would not only have enabled the performance to go ahead, it would also have given opportunities for more dancers to work with McGregor. Maybe such a brilliant talent as David Trzensimiech would not have left the company if he'd been given more opportunities. As a long-time Friend, and attendee of both opera and ballet, I was very disappointed and annoyed at missing the chance to see The Art of Fugue. I hope Thiago and Natalia are soon better, but this big disappointment needn't have happened.

7. Nigel Lacey responded on 9 February 2014 at 6:03am Reply

The matinee was indeed fantastic and we wish a speedy recovery yo those unwell

8. Joel Benford responded on 9 February 2014 at 9:38am Reply

I hope Osipova and Soares are both OK.

I was at the evening show, and it was a great shame not to see Tetrachtys -- especially after reading the programme which makes it look fascinating. But I can understand how hard it would be to integrate dancers into a work that's somewhat off your beaten track, let alone do it on the same day.

The real shame is that the rest of the run is sold out and I won't get to see it. Here's hoping for a revival, or at least a BluRay.

9. Shirley Pigott responded on 9 February 2014 at 9:51am Reply

Very disappointing, it would be nice if those who were due to see it could be given the opportunity to see it at another time.

10. midsman responded on 9 February 2014 at 2:14pm Reply

A Company of this size and no second cast available for two dancers?Doubt that would have happened up in Brum!

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 10 February 2014 at 5:39pm

On Saturday night, moments before curtain up, I published a blog post that incorrectly stated that there was no second cast for Tetractys. There are in fact alternate casts for all of the dancers in the ballet but there was insufficient time to integrate two performers into the piece in the time available – an hour before curtain up. This mistake was due to concern to keep our audience informed, but in this case I'm afraid that I did not have all of the correct information to hand.

11. robert.thonpson responded on 9 February 2014 at 4:17pm Reply

This was my first visit to the ROH and first time to see a ballet.

I actually had tickets to see the matinee but changed on Thursday to the evening as i wanted to see Carlos Acosta dance.

Enjoyed evening despite one ballet being cancelled

12. Allison responded on 9 February 2014 at 4:36pm Reply

I was really disappointed not to see this, as it was the ballet that I had come especially to see, and had booked months ago to get a good seat. I'd been looking forward to it for ages, and was gutted that it was cancelled. I'd come from a long distance so it would have been hard to get to the other performances even if they had not been sold out. I wish an extra show could have been put on for those of us in the audience, on another Saturday or Sunday night, where those who had travelled would have been able to return.

13. 'Very unusual' ..unheard of surely!? sounds like the piece is too complicated to have ended up with one cast announced just two days before curtain up... and a head injury. I for one am pretty fed up of Waynes endless opportunites maybe he could focus more if others got a look in!? Would have been nice to see something by Brandstrup this season for example, always delivers something. Also, I didn't realise Dawid Trzensimiech had left, really talented dancer I've enjoyed watching, what a shame.

14. Christine Landman responded on 9 February 2014 at 7:23pm Reply

Although we were very disappointed not to see Tetractys The Art of Fugue, it was unfortunate and beyond the control of
    ROH. We thought it was fair to be offered the chance of full refund, if we did not want to stay, along with part refund if we stayed for the two acts.
    Hope to get the chance to see it another time.
    Chris

15. Sheila Cross responded on 10 February 2014 at 12:28pm Reply

I had mixed feelings about the cancellation. Obviously the show should go on and it was terrible for people who had selected the programme for that one piece. But having tried to see it 3 times (rehearsal and first 2 performances), it was so dark that I could not make out some of the dancers, even though I was in the stalls and using opera glasses, and although some of the choreography was interesting there were long boring patches.
    But my main beef is that I tried to hand in my application for a refund yesterday before travelling back nearly 250 miles to my home. But the stage door security guard absolutely refused, twice, to take it, even though I told him I was unwell, and there is no post box anywhere. He told me to ring a bell for the backstage security guard to take it but numerous attempts failed to raise him. There really should be a means of delivering an envelope for the box office on a Sunday.

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 10 February 2014 at 5:16pm

Dear Sheila

Thank you for your message. I have passed it onto the Front of House team.

Best wishes

Ellen

• Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer) responded on 11 February 2014 at 11:00am

Dear Sheila,

I am sorry to hear you had problems applying for a refund. I have been in touch with the Box Office and they have confirmed that they will action a refund.

All the best,

Lottie

16. I was told I would be rung today about my full refund, I don't know why... I have not been rung! just checked my card not refunded that I can see? no email either.... ofcourse I was asked to handed over my tickets at the time and given nothing in return so have no proof of anything! not amused

• Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer) responded on 11 February 2014 at 10:55am

Dear Kathryn,

Apologies that no-one has been in contact. I have been in touch with the Box Office who have confirmed that your card was refunded yesterday at 11.11am. It may take a little while to show up in your account as the refund went through WorldPay.

All the best,

Lottie

17. I was also very disappointed not to see Tetractys, especially as this had all my favourite dancers. It was great to see Rhapsody again but the revelation of my evening was Dusica Bijelic, who poured heart and soul into her performance, even though most of the audience could not see her.

18. Thanks for confirming the refund, maybe if cancelling a piece happens again I can be given a receipt of some kind. I have just watched the Tetra rehersal you have put up,.. its a shame we the saturday night audience didn't get to see it as sold out and booked months ago, very disappointing to see the teaser. Can we be offered early cheaper tickets if there is another run including this piece please? it was an expensive no show for me and I live in london, think we deserve a little present.

Connect with Facebook