Tamara Rojo to leave The Royal Ballet

Spanish dancer to take up role of Artistic Director at English National Ballet.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

13 April 2012 at 8.47am | 25 Comments

Royal Ballet Principal Tamara Rojo is to leave the company to take up the role of Artistic Director at English National Ballet. Tamara will stay with The Royal Ballet until the end of the current season, dancing all scheduled performances before taking up her new post in August.

Director of The Royal Ballet, Monica Mason said of the news:

"I'm obviously very sad that Tamara will be leaving The Royal Ballet, as she is a wonderful artist and has been a loyal and committed Company member for the past 12 years."

Tamara joined The Royal Ballet in 2000 from English National Ballet. Prior to this she danced with Scottish Ballet and during her career has danced all the main classical roles, as well as a wide variety of the MacMillan and Ashton repertory. She has also created new roles for contemporary choreographers such as Liam Scarlett and Wayne McGregor.

The remainder of the 2011/12 season sees Tamara dance roles in The Prince of the Pagodas, La Sylphide and Birthday Offering.

View insights, clips and rehearsal clips featuring Tamara on iTunesU

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

13 April 2012 at 8.47am

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Artistic Director, by Kenneth Macmillan, English National Ballet, leavers, Production, Tamara Rojo, The Prince of the Pagodas

1. Carol Lee responded on 13 April 2012 at 8:59am Reply

Devastated that Tamara is leaving - a real sadness that we will no longer see her dancing the roles she will be unable to dance now at ENB. She has been a real jewel in the RB's crown and will be sorely missed by us. Farewell performance?
    However, delighted for her that she has this new challenge ahead. Very good luck to her. Richly deserved.

• Maggie Hobbs responded on 13 April 2012 at 6:32pm

Why did she not get the position being vacated by Monica Mason....she did apply, she just said so on BBC Radio 4's Front Row?

She is a great loss to the Royal Ballet; her Juliet is as good as Margot's & I've had the pleasure of seeing them both in the role.....

• Susan Winter responded on 17 April 2012 at 1:07pm

So sad that Tamara is leaving the RB but good luck to her in her new post as Artistic Director at the ENB. Her dancing was sublime and second to none, especially when she danced with Carlos Acosta - a partnership of a lifetime, the chemistry on stage was 'awesome' , in the truest sense of the word. Good Luck Tamara you shall be greatly missed.

2. Helena Centenera responded on 13 April 2012 at 11:01am Reply

Thrilled for Tamara but indeed devastated we're not going to see her again in the RB roles some of which she's made her own.

I agree with Carol, a farewell performance would be very welcome!

Good luck to Tamara and looking forward to see what her project brings to to the ballet world.

3. Jeanne-Marie Marshall responded on 13 April 2012 at 1:09pm Reply

It IS Friday 13th; first broke an heirloom this morning but this is no where near as sad as no longer seeing this unbelievably gorgeous ballerina on the stage at the ROH. Of course I wish her every success and happiness at ENB mais quel dommage!

4. Heeyeon Joe Park responded on 13 April 2012 at 1:21pm Reply

Tamara changed the way I look at ballet with her role as Juliet, and since then I've watched all shows she danced in (albeit being a poor student)- It was the first time I've become a fan of a specific dancer, and I was looking forward to see more of her, so I am hugely heartbroken to hear this news.

Nevertheless, it is a wonderful thing that now she has mastered the artistry as a dancer, she can now challenge herself in another field. I've always preferred RB to ENB, but now maybe that will change!

5. SB responded on 13 April 2012 at 3:36pm Reply

I feel very privileged. I saw Ms. Rojo dance Juliet and it changed my life. A supreme artist. I wish her the very best for her new post... No better woman!
    You'll be missed Tamara! X

6. MM responded on 13 April 2012 at 4:21pm Reply

Not much more to say that hasn't already been said - devastation reigns! "Never was a story of more woe"....

7. CH responded on 13 April 2012 at 4:22pm Reply

I am properly upset by this. I have seen her in pretty much everything she has done over the last 5 or 6 years. I have not seen anyone dance quite like her - with such energy and intelligence and abandon all wrapped up in one. Perhaps this will mean I save some money ? Really upset.

8. Peter L responded on 13 April 2012 at 4:37pm Reply

My wife and I always aim to see Tamara's whatever she is dancing in. We will remember the marvellous pairing with Carlos in such magnificent and stirring performances of Romeo and Juliet and Manon to name but two amongst many. She will be sorely missed but we wish her all the best in her new role; I'm sure she will be very successful.

9. beverly payne responded on 13 April 2012 at 5:00pm Reply

So sad to hear the news about Tamara. I saw her as Manon and as Juliet and was mesmerised by her performances. She has been a true asset to the Royal Ballet. I am sure she will be very successful in her new role with ENB and wish her all the very best for the future.

10. CH responded on 13 April 2012 at 5:20pm Reply

Very upset by this news. I have seen pretty much everything TR has been in here for the last 6-7 years. Have not ever seen a dancer combine energy, intellect and abandon so excitingly. Perhaps I will now save a little money on quite so many ballet tickets. Really sad to see her go. Wish her well - her Goldberg Variations cretaive collaboration of a couple of years ago was fantastic and presages well for her future role at the ENO. What a loss to RB and all of us though.

11. First reaction: Oh, how sad, distinct sinking feeling at the prospect of no more absorbing of wonderful Rojo dancing.
    Second response: Oh wow. Just think what La Tamara can bring to the ENB. This is now exciting news.
    And YES, please arrange for a Farewell Performance!
    Rome

12. Peter Westwood responded on 14 April 2012 at 6:28am Reply

Carol Lee has it right. What a catch for ENB! Fri. 13th is a bad day but blown to nonsense by this wonderful news for ENB. I hope that they know what they are going to find the genius that she will instil in them. I will not be taking her picvture off my office wall. Thank you Tamara.

13. EJW responded on 14 April 2012 at 7:00am Reply

In mourning. Tamara has been such a joy to watch. The very best in my opinion and I will miss her very very much. She has an undefinable quality which is mesmerising, whatever the role, but in particular, Marguerite, Juliet and Manon.
    ENB are very lucky and I wish her all the best - it is what she has been working towards for some time, but please please keep dancing Tamara!

14. David Brinkman responded on 14 April 2012 at 11:04am Reply

So sad to see Tamara leaving Royal Ballet where she has been an ambassador for the company both at home and abroad, yet like so many of the stars in RB she has been sparingly used these last 2 or 3 years. I found you could always discover something new in a well loved ballet when she danced as she developed and thought through the role.

Her interpretation in Manon and latterly Margeurite were outstanding performances of this era. I will look back in the years ahead and say "I saw Tamara Rojo dance that and she was fantastic".

She has so much to give the world of ballet, lets hope that after proving herself as an artistic director with ENB she will once again find a home in Covent Garden.

There will be a hole that's will be hard to fill at Covent Garden, who is now going to do in-depth interviews, often in 3 or 4 languages. Royal Ballet's loss is ENB's gain. Like so many of the best things in life you don't know what you've lost until it's gone.

15. Manami Tsuchiya responded on 14 April 2012 at 4:02pm Reply

so sad to hear that…

16. Valerie Knight responded on 14 April 2012 at 8:55pm Reply

So sorry to hear that Tamara Rojo is leaving RB. We have followed Tamara's career since first seeing her in Romeo and Juliet in the round at the Albert Hall with ENB. We have seen her in most of her roles and loved them all especially when she is partnered with Carlos Acosta. My most recent favourite was Marguerite with Sergei Polunin, so exciting - definitely something to remember her by.
    We wish Tamara every success in her future role with ENB.

17. REK responded on 16 April 2012 at 8:49am Reply

My wife and I live in the north midlands and try to visit Covent Garden whenever we can. We always look for when Tamara is dancing before we make our booking. She danced the very first time we visited and we have been hooked ever since. There will never be a better Juliet than her, she is sheer, sheer perfection. To see Tamara and Carlos dance together is pure magic.
    Good luck Tamara we look forward to seeing you with the ENB.

18. x.rahaman responded on 16 April 2012 at 10:41am Reply

sadest day of my life, the ROH, will not be the same without her, what will CARLOS do, have seen them dance loads of times and they are indeed the DREAM TEAM, don't think I can bear to see a farewell performance - lots of luck TAMARA, will miss you very much.

19. Eddie Maxwell responded on 16 April 2012 at 5:47pm Reply

Such mixed emotions! I'm delighted for Tamara that she has a company of quality to run. She has been preparing for such a role for a long time. But I'm devastated to see her leaving RB. I haven't admired any dancer so much since Sylvie Guillem. Now I won't get the chance to see her in Ondine or Brahms Waltzes. I hope she'll still dance Giselle and Odette/Odile at ENB. She is incomparable in those roles - and as McMillan's Juliet, which is not in ENB's rep.
    Congratulations, Tamara! All my love and best wishes.

20. Margaret Stewart responded on 19 April 2012 at 9:23am Reply

I'm devastated, I watch all Tamara's performances and go to all the interviews she has. Such a talented, clever and interesting lady especially in her views on how ballet should go forward. I am delighted for her that she has won this position with ENB. I was hoping she would win the position at the RB after Kevin O'Hare.
    Best wishes Tamara.

21. Carol Weston responded on 19 April 2012 at 10:50am Reply

I am very sad to see Tamara is leaving, but delighted that we won't be losing her from the ballet world. She will make a brilliant Artistic Director and I cannot wait to see her input to the Company. Although she will be leaving Carlos Acosta, she will, no doubt be working with his young nephew, Yonah. A wonderful new talent. Much good luck and love to her.

22. Wow....I wish Tamara continued success!!

23. Franco responded on 22 February 2013 at 8:24pm Reply

Wonderful dancer indeed. great artist. I'm thrilled she will be absolutely amazing in ENB. It's sad to the Royal Ballet but a great gain to the English National Ballet. You Go! Tamara! :)