Swan Lake, starring Natalia Osipova and Matthew Golding, to be released on DVD and Blu-Ray

Performance is now available to pre-order.

By Lottie Butler (Former Assistant Content Producer (News and Social Media))

20 March 2015 at 1.25pm | 54 Comments

Update (22 April 2015): Release date and pre-order details added

Anthony Dowell's iconic Royal Ballet production of Swan Lake is to be released on DVD for the first time since the remarkable 2009 performance by Marianela Nuñez and Thiago Soares.

The performance scheduled for release was captured during this week's live cinema relay. It stars Royal Ballet Principals Natalia Osipova and Matthew Golding, who form a formidable partnership as Odette/Odile and Prince Siegfried. Read audience reactions to the cinema relay.

‘I don’t imagine Odette as a magnificent swan’, says Natalia. ‘She is fragile and vulnerable, like a flower that has bloomed and you want to protect it. She wants to believe the Prince will save her from the curse, but she can’t. I haven’t danced Swan Lake with Matthew before – our artistic partnership has only just begun – but he’s a fabulous, incredible dancer.’

The relay featured a series of backstage films, including rehearsal footage and interviews with members of the cast and creative team.

Download our Swan Lake Digital Programme, which contains specially selected features to bring you closer to the production.

Swan Lake  is now available to order on DVD and Blu-Ray.

By Lottie Butler (Former Assistant Content Producer (News and Social Media))

20 March 2015 at 1.25pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged by anthony dowell, DVD, Matthew Golding, Natalia Osipova, Production, release, Shop, Swan Lake, The Royal Ballet

1. Liana responded on 20 March 2015 at 1:38pm Reply

Hurrah! Great decision ROH - thank you for listening to your audience. Saw it live and can't wait to watch again. Really looking forward to it.

2. Stuart Dixon responded on 20 March 2015 at 1:42pm Reply

FANTASTIC NEWS Great that you are listening to our comments and re-acting so quickly to it. Thank You.

3. Andrea responded on 20 March 2015 at 2:01pm Reply

SUCH BRILLIANT NEWS! We saw it in the cinema and were hoping against hope that you'd release it. Can't wait! Thank you, ROH!

4. r.a. responded on 20 March 2015 at 2:08pm Reply

Great news about the DVD! I saw Osipova and Golding last Friday and it was amazing! Could I please ask you to consider making future performances available to buy through iTunes? Other ballet companies do this with video performances, and it means that the the performance can be accessed on tablets and phone devices as well as with a DVD machine or a computer. While you're thinking of updating the building for the 21st century, please do consider updating the ways in which performances are available - making them available to buy via iTunes would help to engage a younger audience which is essential for the future of classical opera and ballet.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 20 March 2015 at 3:26pm

Hi Rowena,

A limited number of productions are available via iTunes already. In regards to 21st century access, on demand content is something we're looking into, but in the interim it's worth subscribing to our YouTube channel and keeping an eye on our social media accounts (as well as these pages) for info around live-streams

Thanks

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

5. Marilyn responded on 20 March 2015 at 2:12pm Reply

Great
    Loved the live performance,do will be able to relive the wonderful performances

6. Simon Ridgeston responded on 20 March 2015 at 2:17pm Reply

This is Fantastic news, can't wait.

7. Kristina responded on 20 March 2015 at 2:33pm Reply

YES!!! Thank you for listening to our pleas and for honouring them!

8. Sandie responded on 20 March 2015 at 2:59pm Reply

A huge thank you from us too. It has made our day!

9. Well done, ROH!

10. karenb responded on 20 March 2015 at 4:03pm Reply

Thank you! My mum missed seeing Natalia dance due to ill heaoth. I really wanted her to see this Swan Lake. Thank you for listening to us. Can't wait!

11. Anne Hall responded on 20 March 2015 at 4:09pm Reply

Fantastic news

12. David responded on 20 March 2015 at 4:11pm Reply

Delighted to hear this. I treasure the lovely 2009 performance with Marianela and Thiago and now I can look forward to getting the wonderful Natalia and Matthew performance to set alongside it. I have so many memories of different dancers in Anthony Dowell's production over the years. It is good that we will have two such different superlative interpretations to remember it by. Thank you RB. And thank you Anthony Dowell. I shall be there on the 9th to thank you for your Swan Lake.

13. strewthieruthie responded on 20 March 2015 at 5:16pm Reply

Brilliant News well worth producing on DVD for posterity. I am so glad my wish was granted - thank you ROH my second home!

14. Nick B responded on 20 March 2015 at 5:31pm Reply

Well done! Such a superb performance. Thank you for responding so positively. Can't wait to buy it!

15. Morton Paley responded on 20 March 2015 at 5:31pm Reply

It was a great performance -- Osipova brilliant and deeply moving, Golding a fine cavalier.
    I hope there will be a blu-ray version.

16. Robert F. Zimmerman responded on 20 March 2015 at 6:55pm Reply

Absolutely fantastic. Kindly notify me when the DVD is produced and purchasable

17. Leigh responded on 20 March 2015 at 7:30pm Reply

I got Marianela and Thiago’s DVD. Love it so much!! I also wish to see Marianela Nunez and Carlos Acosta of this production. I knew they were paired up accidentally one night this time. If this couldn’t be on DVD, it would be very nice at least to release some videos on youtube. Please! :)

18. Peter Vintner responded on 20 March 2015 at 9:13pm Reply

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

19. Roger responded on 21 March 2015 at 8:13am Reply

great response to audience demand and very welcome news - I'll certainly be buying it. I presume there will be bluray not just dvd?

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 21 March 2015 at 9:18am

Thanks Roger. Not sure as yet if there will be a Blu-ray as well as a DVD - that will be confirmed later.

Best wishes

Ellen

20. David Murray responded on 21 March 2015 at 8:18am Reply

Whilst Osipova was brilliant, the TV production wasn't as good as it could have been. It lacked an elevated camera position, so you couldn't really see the movement of the dancers properly when the stage was crowded.

21. Geoff responded on 21 March 2015 at 12:10pm Reply

Just adding my heartfelt thanks for that. I was stunned by the performance when I visited you last Tuesday, as was everyone around me.

22. Mandy Mansworth responded on 21 March 2015 at 12:10pm Reply

Thank you for responding to all the heartfelt requests - I am really looking forward to its release now

23. Kohji KONDOH responded on 21 March 2015 at 1:47pm Reply

This is a request from a devoted fan of The Royal Ballet.
    As for me, quarter of century most watch the visit to Japan performance of The Royal Balle.
    I bought DVD of The Royal Balle.And I collect the signatures of the dancers.
    I enjoy every time The Royal Ballet Cinema.
    I love Darcey Bussell’ interview and this YouTube of break time.
    Please include Darcey Bussell’ interview at the time of Blu - ray production by all means.
    Because there is the devoted fan for Principal Character Artist in Japan, I request the interview of Elizabeth McGorian-san and Avis-san.
    There isn't the great artist who seems to be McGorian-san and Avis-san in other countries.
    I watched Swan Lake and intended so.
    I feel that only some complete program record motionpictures of Darcey Bussell stay disappointing.
    Therefore please release all The Royal Ballet Cinema as Blu - ray.
    Thank you very much.

24. léna responded on 21 March 2015 at 5:23pm Reply

Good news! But why don't you release Manon with M. Nunez/ F. Bonelli, as it was captured for cinemas ? It was great and I'd love to watch it again !

• Kim responded on 6 May 2015 at 4:05pm

I could not agree more. Manon is my favorite ballet that I've ever seen and I would do anything to get that particular version of it on DVD. Nunez and Bonelli were absolutely breathtaking as was the entire cast. Absolute perfection from the beginning to the end!!! Please put it on DVD!!!

25. Krystal Jones responded on 21 March 2015 at 6:24pm Reply

Yay! My birthday wish was granted! I will be waiting patiently to buy a copy! Matthew's performance was breathtaking and Natalia danced with such beauty and grace. Both beautifully talented. Do you have a rough idea of when it will be released?

26. Sandra responded on 22 March 2015 at 8:51am Reply

Wonderful news, you just made my day :-)

27. Doreen Hopkins responded on 22 March 2015 at 5:52pm Reply

Can I be emailed when the DVD goes on sale? Will I be able to buy it from yourselves? Re the performance, why were the male dancers not acknowledged at the end of the performance?(apart from the two ) ? Is it not usual to get applause?

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 24 March 2015 at 10:22am

Hi Doreen,

Unfortunately we're not able to email everyone who's interested in the DVD details when they become available. I'd recommend keeping an eye on these pages and the Royal Opera House Twitter and Facebook pages where details will be shared once confirmed.

In regards the curtain calls, aside from Odette/Odile, Siegfried, Von Rothbart and some of the soloists, the rest of the Company give their bows as a group.

Thanks

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

28. Brian Moore responded on 22 March 2015 at 6:33pm Reply

Wonderful news, my wife & I saw the live performance @ ROH and then watched the encore back in Devon. Fantastic! We loved both. Although the live stage performance was mesmerising, such talented dancers. We will certainly be buying the DVD. As already stated you would be missing a trick if you failed to release, not to mention additional funds.

29. BirdsallDeb responded on 22 March 2015 at 8:48pm Reply

Swan Lake - my first ever ballet tonight at the local cinema - beautiful, moving, loved it!

30. Jakegee responded on 23 March 2015 at 3:41pm Reply

Like Leigh, above, I would have dearly loved a DVD of the Carlos Acosta & Marianela Nunez performance. Marianela stood in for Sarah Lamb for all three of Carlos's performances due to injury, and, as usual, their chemistry together was superlative! We don't have the privilege of a DVD with Carlos as Prince Siegfried, unfortunately, unless, of course, Royal Ballet have a previous performance 'in the can' which may be released at a later date? I know we can see a few clips of his partnership with Tamara Rojo on YouTube, but a full performance would be a delight to have on DVD.

31. Julia responded on 23 March 2015 at 6:29pm Reply

I am so happy to hear this! I enjoyed watching this performance so very much, and would treasure it :-D

32. Andrew Cardle responded on 23 March 2015 at 6:44pm Reply

Superb prpduction I was reduced to tears in places.

You do not seem, or rather I cannot find a place to pre order the forth coming DVD?

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 24 March 2015 at 10:16am

Hi Andrew,

The DVD is not available to pre-order because a release date has not yet been confirmed. Watch this space

Glad you enjoyed the production!

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

33. Wendy Manock responded on 23 March 2015 at 9:11pm Reply

I missed the Cinema showing of Swan Lake, I was in Spain, friends told me it was THE BEST EVER, how good it would be if I could purchase a DVD of the Cinema performance 17 March 2015.

34. Eric Firkins responded on 25 March 2015 at 9:37am Reply

I saw the live performance and was amazed by Natalia's thoughtful interpretation of both Odette and Odile. I hoped this would be put out on Blu-Ray as I would like to play the Osipova and Golding partnership over and over again.

35. Judith Berry responded on 26 March 2015 at 8:32am Reply

Wonderful response! Wish there was some recording of Metamorphosis Titian 2012. A DVD would be marvellous, or a CD of the music. Are there any plans to perform the ballets again?

36. Sílvia responded on 29 March 2015 at 12:28am Reply

I must give my opinion: I think this is appalling news. The Royal Ballet is deeply disappointing me by feeding this Osipova hype. The reason The Bolshoi Ballet didn't give Osipova the Odette/Odile role became too obvious with this performance. She is a not-so-good technician, and even worse artist, who tries to make up for it in speed. I will just keep treasuring the 2009 Núñez DVD, which is absoluta perfection.

37. Mandy Mansworth responded on 1 April 2015 at 11:55am Reply

Is there any news yet on a release date for the DVD please? I have been watching your website but can't see anything yet

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 2 April 2015 at 12:00pm

Hi Mandy,

The release date is still TBC

Thanks

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

38. Steve Clark responded on 2 April 2015 at 11:05am Reply

My question of 23rd March is still 'awaiting moderation'. I attended the wonderful production on 13th March which was filmed so am really keen to know if the DVD will be of this performance or of the live relay the following week. Sorry to be a pain !

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 2 April 2015 at 5:09pm

Hi Steve,

Apologies for the delay in releasing your comment from moderation and replying. A DVD release of this performance will be available, although the release date is still TBC

Glad you enjoyed the performance!

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

• Richard responded on 2 April 2015 at 5:22pm

Hi Steve I'll answer for them.
      They normally edit together the best bits of both performances.

39. Henry Krichker responded on 9 April 2015 at 10:37pm Reply

Many thanks, but what about "Sleeping Beauty" with Sara Lamb from 2014?

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 11 April 2015 at 5:24pm

Dear Henry

I believe that there are no plans to release the performance at present.

Best wishes

Ellen

40. Danielle responded on 13 April 2015 at 10:44am Reply

The absolute best, most touching and magical production and performance of Swan Lake I have ever seen.

Thank you for releasing it on DVD. I will never forget that night.

41. Glen responded on 20 April 2015 at 10:29am Reply

Would love to see this. It would be nice if there was an email notification for knowing when it will be released and available for order. Such as a place that we could add our email if we would like notification of its release. Thx.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 20 April 2015 at 5:11pm

Hi Glen,

Unfortunately we're not able to send an email notification, but do keep an eye on these pages and our Twitter/Facebook pages for info as a release date. Watch this space!

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

42. Emma responded on 7 May 2015 at 4:02am Reply

Will you please bring your recent, La Fille Mal Gardee to the DVD's to come? Such a great performance to see in cinema but would love a copy.

43. Julia responded on 13 August 2015 at 9:42am Reply

Could we please have a DVD of the next "Onegin" revival?

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 13 August 2015 at 10:09am

Hi Julia,

I'm afraid there are no revivals of Onegin scheduled in the upcoming Season.

Thanks,