22 May 2014 at 2.30pm | Comment on this article
Welcome to the Royal Opera House’s 2012/13 Annual Review. View the review in full.
Throughout 2012/13 The Royal Ballet and The Royal Opera showed yet again why they are regarded as among the world’s greatest artistic companies. With the support of the Royal Opera Chorus and the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, they presented 10 new commissions and a total of 29 productions of extraordinary quality and breadth. Artistic excellence went hand in hand with broadening reach, learning and talent nurture, and stable finances.
Highlights of the 2012/13 Season included:
- 675,000 people attending 415 performances at Covent Garden
- 40% tickets available at £40 or less
- 7 Olivier Awards won by Royal Opera House productions and affiliated artists
- 366,000 people at live cinema relays in over 40 countries
- 48,000 people taking part in Learning and Participation activities
- The Creative & Cultural Skills Backstage Centre opening at the High House Production Park, cementing its role as a beacon of creative excellence in Essex
I want to pay tribute to all the artists and staff who enable the continued success of this remarkable institution. From the exceptional artistic leadership to the ushers who make every visit so welcoming, they are the foundation of all the year’s achievements and have established a strong legacy for the future.
Along with our Chairman Simon Robey and the Board of Trustees, I’d also like to thank Arts Council England, the Friends of Covent Garden, patrons and corporate partners for their support. With strong box office returns, a balanced financial result was achieved for the 14th successive year.
The Royal Opera House exists to enrich people’s lives through opera and ballet, whether in the auditorium, live in the cinema, through digital media or at one of our many learning and participation projects. We hope that you enjoy exploring this through the footage, images and words of the 2012/13 Annual Review. You can find a printable version here.
Thank you for your support.