Royal Opera House Live Cinema Season 2017/18

Newly announced programme includes six Royal Opera and six Royal Ballet productions screened live in cinemas across the world.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

5 April 2017 at 9.51am | 66 Comments

During the 2017/18 Season, 12 productions — six from The Royal Opera and six from The Royal Ballet — will be relayed live from Covent Garden to cinemas around the world. The programme features a mixture of new productions and classic works.

Tickets will soon be on sale from local cinemas. Find your nearest venue and sign up to our mailing list.

The ROH Live Cinema Season 2016/17 in full:

Die Zauberflöte – 20 September 2017
The Royal Opera

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Director: David McVicar
Conducted by Julia Jones and starring Roderick Williams, Siobhan Stagg and Mauro Peter

La bohème – 3 October 2017 NEW PRODUCTION
The Royal Opera

Giacomo Puccini
Director: Richard Jones
Conducted by Antonio Pappano and starring Nicole Car, Michael Fabiano and Mariusz Kwiecień

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – 23 October 2017
The Royal Ballet

Choreography: Christopher Wheeldon
Music: Joby Talbot
Casting TBC

The Nutcracker – 5 December 2017
The Royal Ballet

Choreography: Peter Wright after Lev Ivanov
Music: Pyotr Il’yich Tchaikovsky
Casting TBC

Rigoletto 16 January 2018
The Royal Opera

Giuseppe Verdi
Director: David McVicar
Conducted by Alexander Joel and starring Dimitri Platanias, Lucy Crowe and Michael Fabiano

Tosca 7 February 2018
The Royal Opera

Giacomo Puccini
Director: Jonathan Kent
Conducted by Dan Ettinger and starring Adrianne Pieczonka, Joseph Calleja and Gerald Finley

The Winter's Tale – 28 February 2018
The Royal Ballet

Choreography: Christopher Wheeldon
Music: Joby Talbot
Casting TBC

Carmen – 6 March 2018 NEW PRODUCTION
The Royal Opera

Georges Bizet
Director: Barrie Kosky
Conducted by Jakub Hrůša and starring Anna Goryachova, Francesco Meli and Anett Fritsch

NEW Wayne McGregor / The Age of Anxiety / NEW Christopher Wheeldon 27 March 2018 2x WORLD PREMIERES
The Royal Ballet

Choreography: Wayne McGregor / Liam Scarlett / Christopher Wheeldon
Music: Leonard Bernstein
Casting TBC

Macbeth  4 April 2018
The Royal Opera

Giuseppe Verdi
Director: Phyllida Lloyd
Conducted by Antonio Pappano and starring Anna Netrebko, Željko Lučić and Ildebrando D’Arcangelo

Manon – 3 May 2018
The Royal Ballet

Choreography: Kenneth MacMillan
Music: Jules Massenet
Casting TBC

Swan Lake – 12 June 2018 NEW PRODUCTION
The Royal Ballet

Choreography: Liam Scarlett after Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov
Music: Pyotr Il’yich Tchaikovsky
Casting TBC

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

5 April 2017 at 9.51am

This article has been categorised Off stage and tagged cinema, season announcement, The Royal Opera

1. Derek Bacon responded on 5 April 2017 at 3:46pm Reply

This cinema season doesn't give me exactly what I would choose from the full opera programme but to state the obvious, it is a fantastic treat for us. Just look back a few years and compare the void of then with what we are now offered by ROH. I am VERY grateful.

2. Muriel Hamilton responded on 5 April 2017 at 4:50pm Reply

Looking forward to your programme for 1917/18
    Enjoyed last week's performance of Madam Butterfly. Excellent!

3. Karen responded on 5 April 2017 at 6:11pm Reply

I feel like Goryachova is going to be soooo great as Carmen. Can't wait to see that.

4. Missy responded on 5 April 2017 at 10:10pm Reply

Yeah this might be a tad early, but any clue on who the casts are for the Ballet relays or is that something that'll be announced later?

5. Martin Parker responded on 5 April 2017 at 11:15pm Reply

Cinema Season - a good balance, but the omission of any of the Macmillan Celebration performances reflecting the valuable contribution of several national companies is surely a tragic missed opportunity?

6. Julimel responded on 6 April 2017 at 2:20am Reply

How do you choose what's going to be broadcast in the movies? I wish Sylvia was on the list...

7. Ana responded on 6 April 2017 at 10:47pm Reply

Great choice, though I too would have wished to see Sylvia instead of Alice maybe (although Alice is a wonderful ballet to present the whole company). Love that the Nutcracker is on the list again, last year's performance was spectacular!

8. Jonny Walker responded on 9 April 2017 at 5:06pm Reply

Please broadcast Semiramide!

9. Gary Hawkins responded on 11 April 2017 at 3:47pm Reply

Any chance of Lohengrin coming to cinemas in the UK?

• Asher Korner (Former Assistant Content Producer) responded on 11 April 2017 at 4:20pm

Dear Gary,

Thanks for your question,

We would love to be able to broadcast all the productions, but unfortunately, Lohengrin won't be relayed in cinemas during the 2017/18 Season.

Very sorry, and all the best,

Asher Korner
      Interim Assistant Content Producer

10. Louise Smedley-Hampson responded on 12 April 2017 at 8:35am Reply

Disappointing repertoire choices for next season. I would only be interested in Nutcracker, Manon and Swan Lake. I thought Sylvia was mentioned by Kevin O Hare last night?

11. Elena responded on 13 April 2017 at 8:05am Reply

Great to see Winter's Tale on the list - what a fabulous ballet! I just hope the casting on the live relays will be a bit different though, of course all of the royal ballet dancers are beautiful but the principal casting in the last three filmings of this season had many repetitions. Would have loved to see Cuthbertson in another ballet!

• Django responded on 24 May 2017 at 2:44am

I agree! So many of the ballets broadcasted Nela in the principal casting! At least Lauren has been cast for Alice during the cinema relay next year. If she is cast as Manon or as Odette/Odile, that would be fabulous!

12. Pauline Hunter responded on 14 April 2017 at 11:47am Reply

I thoroughly enjoyed the Jewels ballet and to be able to see the Royal Ballet at my local cinema is a great treat. Can't wait for the next one.

13. Jacky responded on 17 April 2017 at 1:33pm Reply

Could I put in a request for Semiramide to be broadcast in HD, please?

• Asher Korner (Former Assistant Content Producer) responded on 18 April 2017 at 10:21am

Dear Jacky,

Thanks for your comment, it's great to hear you're interested in our cinema broadcasts! Unfortunately, this year's production of Semiramide is not scheduled for broadcast. We would love to be able to broadcast all of our productions to the world, but at this stage we are unable to. I hope you will consider seeing another of our productions at the cinema - you can find out which productions will be broadcast by following this link: http://www.roh.org.uk/cinemas

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

All the best,

Asher Korner
      Interim Assistant Content Producer

14. Andrea responded on 17 April 2017 at 4:31pm Reply

Looking forward to this. Never saw Age of Anxiety the first time round, I'll definitely watch it this time. This is a good, varied programme.

15. Norma Rothwell responded on 21 April 2017 at 4:37pm Reply

Hello
    I have made a note in my diary for all the ballet transmissions and a few of the opera too.
    BUT only the new Wheeldon ballet has not been live on screen before. The Nutcracker is a tradition and Swan Lake is always welcome, but what about other options. I agree Sylvia would be great and a mixed bill or two would suit me. Sylphides maybe and full length La Sylphide. Coppelia would be good for families. How about Onegin, La Babyadere too?

16. Susan Crane responded on 23 April 2017 at 10:06pm Reply

I notice that the summer season production of Turandot is being filmed on 16 July. When will it be screened? I can't see it listed on your live or recorded production screenings this year. Thanks, Susan

• Asher Korner (Former Assistant Content Producer) responded on 25 April 2017 at 10:23am

Dear Susan,

Thanks for your comment,

Rather than being relayed to cinemas, Turandot is being filmed for the BP Big Screens on Friday 14 July at 7.30pm. Here's a link to our BP Big Screens page, where you can find out where to watch the screening: http://www.roh.org.uk/about/bp-big-screens/whats-on

I hope this helps,

All the best,

Asher Korner

17. Marji responded on 26 April 2017 at 10:34pm Reply

Like Jacky, I would have loved to see Semiramide. Is there any possibility it might be filmed for future DVD release?
    Thank you.

• Asher Korner (Former Assistant Content Producer) responded on 27 April 2017 at 4:02pm

Dear Marji,

Thanks for your comment,

Unfortunately, the 2017 production of Semiramide won't be filmed. We aim to film as many of our productions as possible, but are unable to capture all of them due to various financial and legal constraints.

Do check our cinemas page for details of the performances that will be screened: http://www.roh.org.uk/cinemas

Hope this helps,

Asher Korner

18. Joan Hance responded on 29 April 2017 at 4:33pm Reply

Will there be a DVD OF THE rOYAL bALLET jEWELS?

19. Jill Osborn responded on 3 May 2017 at 12:29am Reply

Are there going to be Encore screenings of some of the Royal Ballet productions as last year? As someone who works during weekday evenings I really appreciated the Encore Sunday screenings at a variety of venues.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 3 May 2017 at 10:07am

Hi Jill,

Yes, our Encore screenings will be continuing next Season, with cinemas announcing dates throughout the coming months.

Thanks,

Chris

20. Lenore responded on 9 June 2017 at 4:35pm Reply

Not a very diverse cinema schedule. We've had Alice and Winter's tale in the past few years. It would be nice for those of us not in the UK to see the dancers spread their talents more and dance something else. I am looking forward to seeing the promotions list for the season.

21. Lydia responded on 29 June 2017 at 12:38am Reply

Just enjoyed Otello on the big screen, I am so lucky to see these wonderful events, I attend everything possible, thank you ROH

22. Hilda Davis responded on 30 June 2017 at 9:04am Reply

I am trying to find out if there are any screenings in Florida, USA - particularly Lady Lakes area.

• Noelia Moreno responded on 30 June 2017 at 11:28am

Hello Hilda,

Thank you for your interest. There are forthcoming screenings of Otello in Sarasota and Fernandina Beach. Please see link below for further details:

As soon as we have confirmation of screenings in your area for the new season they will show in our website.

Best wishes,
      Noelia
      ROH cinema

23. Richard Franklin responded on 30 June 2017 at 4:25pm Reply

Very disappointing not to have any Wagner again this season. How can the cinema going public get to see and hear his great operas unless you broadcast them? Two Puccinis, two Verdis, no Wagner. Last year, two Verdis, no Wagner. Have to go back to February 2015 for a Wagner, The Flying Dutchman. What about one of the great late operas?

24. Michael Simkins responded on 1 July 2017 at 11:05am Reply

Is the 2017 Turandot going to be available to see in UK cinemas ? I see its being filmed. i'm desperate to see it but can't make any of the live performances...

25. Julian Hardyman responded on 21 July 2017 at 9:58pm Reply

Will Cyn of the ROH 2018 Ring Cycle be broadcast to cimemas? I would be so wonderful

26. Mrs Pat Fleet responded on 19 August 2017 at 2:07pm Reply

In the past years I was privileged to see the opera/ballet productions live at the ROH. This is now no longer possible for me but how wonderful to be able to view them on the local cinema. I have really enjoyed all of last season's productions and am looking forward to this season's showings.

27. Christopher Naylor responded on 7 September 2017 at 11:52pm Reply

Having moved to Honolulu, Hawaii this April I am missing my visits to the Royal Opera House for Opera and Ballet. Otello was screened at a cinema near Honolulu in June, but was abandoned about 15 minutes in because there were no surtitles.
    I cannot see any information regarding the coming 2017/18 cinema season here in Hawaii. I do so much hope that the season will be screened here. Please!!

• Noelia Moreno responded on 8 September 2017 at 4:17pm

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your interest in our Live Cinema screenings. I'm sorry to hear that Otello was cancelled at your local cinema. We are following up with our International distributors and will contact you by email when we have an answer.

There are currently no bookings in Hawaii for our 2017/18 season. But we have new cinemas joining us regularly, so please keep an eye on our webpage for updates.

Best wishes,
      Noelia
      ROH Cinema

28. Isabella Bonderovski responded on 8 September 2017 at 7:57pm Reply

Very disappointed no filming of Semiramide which is undoubtedly the highlight of the season and will be one of the greatest ever performances of this rarely performed opera. How is it that the Met manages and clears 'legal and financial constraints' so that all its productions are filmed, shown in cinemas and then available on demand to suscribers? I find it really quite shocking/disgraceful both that the ROH is so slow in catching up with technology and on demand services AND that so many epic performances are lost to posterity.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 25 September 2017 at 1:15pm

Hi Isabella,

Thank you for your message, and interest in our Live Cinema Season.

Unfortunately, we are contractually limited in the number of operas we can relay each Season, and have to take into account artistic, financial and logistic considerations. We feel that the 2017/18 Season is one of our strongest yet, and whilst Semiramide was a strong contender for all the reasons above, we had to make a difficult choice and unfortunately it didn’t make the final selection.

Thanks,

Chris

29. Philip Conn responded on 8 September 2017 at 8:20pm Reply

The cinema relays are fantastic value for , and I am very grateful for the access they provide to us non-Londoners. Further, I understand not all the shows can be broadcast, but I agree with other comments regarding the absence of a Wagner opera. Why is there more than 1 relay of other composers, if relays are limited? In addition, looking at the ROH programme, I really wanted to see a performance of Lohengrin. So sad it hasn't made the list.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 12 September 2017 at 5:49pm

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your comment and I'm glad you enjoy the Cinema relays.

One of the reasons that opportunities for Wagner operas are limited is often the length of them - the booking of cinemas for such a duration is an unfortunate challenge.

A number of productions are released on DVD and Blu-Ray however

Thanks,

Chris

30. Natalia Andrijenko responded on 13 September 2017 at 9:24am Reply

It's been some time since Royal Ballet screenings have been seen in my corner of Canada. I miss them and hope for their return. Any chance of this happening?

• Lloyd Perry (Cinema Account Officer) responded on 13 September 2017 at 3:08pm

Hi Natalia,

Thank you for your comment and your interest in our Live Cinema screenings.
      The ROH Live Season 2017/18 will be showing screenings in a number of locations throughout Canada.
      We hope to have all the Canada bookings available on our webpage in a few days’ time. Please keep an eye out for updates in your area.

Best wishes,
      Lloyd
      ROH Cinema

31. Hello. Im interested in screening your productions in our theatre, who do I contact??

32. Barbara Frank responded on 13 September 2017 at 8:29pm Reply

Alice will be screened Dec 5th at the Ritz 5 In Philadelphia

33. sandi kurtz responded on 14 September 2017 at 6:33am Reply

I live in Seattle, WA, USA, and have been very excited to see some of the ballet programs in this series, but I cannot find anything scheduled for my community this coming season. I hope that you find a local presenter -- this is very frustrating.

• Noelia Moreno responded on 14 September 2017 at 10:09am

Hi Sandi,

There are currently four venues scheduled to show our new season in the WA area, in Shoreline, Bellingham, Walla Walla and Camas. The details will be up on our website very soon. I hope you enjoy our ballets!

Best wishes,
      Noelia
      ROH Cinema

34. Katrina Dunnings responded on 21 September 2017 at 12:07am Reply

Soooo grateful to be able to see ballet and opera at The cinema. Prices here in Spain totally prohibitive for families. Wouldn't it be a wonderful way to introduce school children to classical music, theatre etc. Why not consider showings during the day ( even if rerecorded) so schools and people who can't go in the evenings (including perhaps elderly and infirm) could enjoy these wonderful works of art!!!

35. Emer White responded on 22 September 2017 at 3:52pm Reply

I love going to all the operas and ballets but I notice in the last few years that the sound level for operas has become unbearably loud in the cinemas Cinema managers are used to blockbuster movies with surround sound Is there a recommended maximum level of decibels for opera in the cinema? There should be

36. Ingrid Ben Ami responded on 23 September 2017 at 4:38pm Reply

I am gratefull of having seen the opera The Magic Flute in Harogate.
    I wonder if it is possible to see this programme in ISRAEL where i live .
    Thank you for your answer.
    Ingrid Ben-Ami

• Noelia Moreno responded on 25 September 2017 at 11:20am

Hello Ingrid,

There are currently three cinemas in Israel showing our Live Cinema Season. The Magic Flute was screened there last Wednesday. Please check our Cinema webpage for details on our forthcoming screenings in Israel.

Best wishes,
      ROH Cinema

37. Peter Vintner responded on 26 September 2017 at 1:21am Reply

Dear nice people at the Royal Ballet, would it be possible some time in the not too distant future to live stream a programme including Elite Syncopations.
    It's one of the most joyous, funny, colourful and dare I say sexy short ballets, and I've never seen it performed live by the RB (only on DVD). I'm sure many who are new to ballet, as many live stream goers seem to have been over the last couple of years, would love it.
    Please?

38. Vincent Cosimini responded on 29 September 2017 at 5:36pm Reply

I have thoroughly enjoyed your cinema transmissions. Do the Encore transmissions ever happen? I cannot make the 3rd October "La Boheme" but you advertise the Sunday 8th October as an Encore, however I am unable to find a cinema which will be showing it.

• Olivia Moxey responded on 11 October 2017 at 10:37am

Dear Vincent,

Thank you for your feedback. We are so pleased you enjoy our cinema transmissions. We do provide Encore screenings, please use the link below to locate your nearest cinema's date and times.

Best Regards,
      Olivia
      ROH Cinema

39. Nicole responded on 3 October 2017 at 11:26am Reply

Since I've moved to Singapore I've sorely missed going to the opera and ballet regularly. As you may already know, Singapore is highly lacking in both these areas. When will you be coming to Singapore? I know of many others apart from myself who would love to be able to watch the cinema relay. Thank you.

40. Troy Fonopo responded on 5 October 2017 at 2:53am Reply

Hi, I live in Brisbane, Australia and I was able to see the entire 2016/2017 season at the Palace cinemas. Every single production blew me away.

Palace cinemas don't seem to be screening any ROH offerings for their upcoming Opera/Ballet season. Is there anywhere in the Brisbane area screening the ROH 2017/2018 season? I would hate to miss out this year.

• Lloyd Perry (Cinema Account Officer) responded on 5 October 2017 at 10:07am

Dear Troy,

Thank you for getting in touch and for showing an interest in the ROH Live season.

Brisbane does have one cinema - EVENT Cinemas Indooroopilly - screening our content this season. Please see this link for its map location and screening times.

Alternatively, please feel free to check our website at any time for cinemas screening our content in any location.

Best wishes,
      ROH Cinema Team

41. Tony Oldershaw responded on 5 October 2017 at 3:35pm Reply

The screened production of La bohème on 3rd October was magnificent.

The only "off notes" were the distracting "tweets" during the credits. I feel that while ROH may be interested, the audience is not interested in what others saying. Would you consider putting them on the sur-title screens in the auditorium? I think not.
    However, worse still was the distraction of fellow audience members actually "tweeting" during the second half - as requested by the presenter during the interval!
    I thought live opera and theatre was discouraging the use of phones during the show - but here they were invited to do so!
    Please drop the suggestion - or at least advise people NOT to "tweet" until after the credits.
    Thank you for an otherwise superb evening.

42. Frances Federer responded on 5 October 2017 at 8:07pm Reply

please tell me how I can see screenings from poland? I see they are broadcast internationally but cannot find where

43. Russell Bingham responded on 23 October 2017 at 11:30pm Reply

Hi "Stars" of the Royal Ballet, my wife & I have just seen Alice transmitted live to our local cinema. Absolutely wunnerful. Choreography brilliant, music sensational, dancing breathtaking, esp. Lauren, Steven & Laura, tho invidious of me to single out these 3 when all of the cast magnificent. So glad that you are transmitting some productions to the cinema. Keep up good work.

44. Peter Scott-Presland responded on 3 November 2017 at 1:55pm Reply

Very disappointed that Sicilian Vespers isn't included in this season - quite the best sung opera overall I've seen at ROH in many years. Yet you have the dreary production of Magic Flute.... Shame

45. Ronaldo responded on 13 November 2017 at 1:02pm Reply

Anticipating Caisee Noisette with about 40 friends here in France.

But the big question is:-
    Are we going to see Alice in Wonderland, again, next year.?

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 14 November 2017 at 11:47am

Hi Ronaldo,

The 2018/19 Season will be announced in due course - watch this space!

Thanks,

Chris

46. HANNAH responded on 25 November 2017 at 5:39pm Reply

Please, please, please bring the live cinema ballets to Dubai! We are desperate - especially for Manon! There are no screenings in the middle east and a huge audience! Thanks,

Hannah

47. Debby Toperoff responded on 3 December 2017 at 8:35am Reply

We have greatly enjoyed the live cinema screenings in Tel Aviv, Israel in the past, but this year they seem to have disappeared. Can you give me any information? There has been no response from the number I previously contacted (03-6172650)