Watch: Romeo and Juliet rehearsal live-streamed on 11 September 2015

Insights event features Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Hirano rehearsing a pas de deux, and Alexander Campbell being coached through Mercutio's solos.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Online Content)

9 September 2015 at 1.00pm | 38 Comments

A Royal Ballet rehearsal of Kenneth MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet will be live-streamed via YouTube and the Royal Opera House website from 7.15pm BST on 11 September 2015.

The event — one of a number of upcoming live streams from the Royal Opera House — will feature members of the Company rehearsing both pas de deux and solos, as well as being interviewed. Sarah Lamb and Ryoichi Hirano will rehearse the act one and three pas de deux, and Alexander Campbell will be coached through Mercutio's solos from acts one and two. The session will be led by Senior Ballet Master Christopher Saunders.

MacMillan's ballet celebrates its 50th anniversary this Season and — as well as this streamed Insight — the production will be one of the focuses of The Royal Ballet's contribution to the live-streamed World Ballet Day event on 1 October.

Subscribe to the ROH YouTube channel to receive notifications about future live-streams:

The production is supported by Boodles and given with generous philanthropic support from Peter Lloyd, Lindsay and Sarah Tomlinson and the Jean Sainsbury Royal Opera House Fund.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Online Content)

9 September 2015 at 1.00pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Alexander Campbell, by Kenneth Macmillan, insights, live stream, Production, Romeo and Juliet, Ryoichi Hirano, Sarah Lamb, YouTube

1. Carolina responded on 10 September 2015 at 2:47am Reply

First of all I'd like to thank the opportunity that the ROH is giving to us. It's really great to be able to watch those insights! Rehearsal and coaching videos are really interesting and instructive.
    There's something I need to know: will the video remain available on Youtube after the streaming? Thank you!

2. Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 10 September 2015 at 3:47pm Reply

Dear Carolina

I'm glad that you enjoy the Insights! This piece will be available for catch up on our YouTube channel and on the website.

Best wishes

Ellen

3. Anne Dean responded on 11 September 2015 at 1:16pm Reply

What a truly excellent idea! I live in deepest West Sussex now and it isn't always easy to get to London and the ROH, though I do so whenever I can. Thank you so much for this wonderful initiative - please do continue to live stream such events and any other rehearsals, Q&A sessions - even those from the past if they're available!

4. Rachel responded on 11 September 2015 at 1:53pm Reply

Carolina's question was also mine! Is it available on ROH website and do I need to sign into u tube.? or can I just log in? You can tell I'm not very computer orientated !!!

• Chris Shipman (Head of Online Content) responded on 11 September 2015 at 3:13pm

Hi Rachel,

You can view on this page from 7.15pm BST. You won't need to sign in, unless it's to comment via YouTube

Thanks

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

5. Beverly Smith responded on 11 September 2015 at 5:32pm Reply

Looking forward to watching from Tobago where I am on vacation.

6. Ballet Lover responded on 11 September 2015 at 5:36pm Reply

Thank you so much for this wonderful opportunity, you don't know how much this means to us ballet admirers,and young aspiring dancers! Can't wait for it to start. :))

7. Ballet Lover (Germany) responded on 11 September 2015 at 7:41pm Reply

It's wonderful of ROH to share insight into rehearsal situations with the audience! This is so interesting! I was so looking forward to viewing this. However, unfortunately, in Germany all I got was a black screen with the message "Live stream is not possible in Germany due to rights issues..." Please could you try and sort this out! Thanks!

• Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 11 September 2015 at 8:52pm

Dear Ballet lover

I am afraid that this problem is due to a copyright dispute between YouTube and the German government, so it is beyond our power to resolve. It's a real shame, but all of our live streams are blocked in Germany.

You are welcome to join us in cinemas for our live relays, however: http://www.roh.org.uk/search/screenings?location=Germany

Best wishes

Ellen

8. Liz Nathan responded on 11 September 2015 at 7:43pm Reply

Thank you. Will be watching from holiday in Florida!

9. Riveting! Christopher Saunders explains things so clearly and David Pickering is such an enthusiastic host. The dancing by Sarah, Ryoichi and Alexander looks marvellous on a bare stage - what virtuosity and skill!

10. I am really enjoying watching this- excellent technique and very interesting.

11. takako mori responded on 11 September 2015 at 8:37pm Reply

thank you very much for shearing by live stream!!
    howeve there is no cinema in US this sesaon?? I can not find any schedule in NY area.....that't too bad! all my ballet fan friends are so disapointed.

• Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 11 September 2015 at 8:49pm

Dear Takako

There will be screenings from the Royal Opera House in the US, I am afraid that we are just awaiting confirmation from distributors. Do keep an eye on our cinema website for details.

Best wishes

Ellen

12. LisaC responded on 11 September 2015 at 8:43pm Reply

That was absolutely fantastic-a great Friday Night treat! Thank you so much for putting this together. Looking forward to seeing more of these in the future.

13. Kohji KONDOH responded on 11 September 2015 at 8:50pm Reply

Thank you very much!!!!!
    I was able to enjoy livestreaming enough from Japan.
    Congratulations on the 50th anniversary from the premiere of my favorite ballet Romeo&Juliet.
    I am going to go to London to appreciate three times of Romeo and Juliet of October 1&3.
    I hope that I can appreciate refined beautiful Ballet again.
    Ballet is the art that even a casual performance expresses as a dance in addition to the big skill.
    I respect the character artists of The Royal Ballet.
    I earnestly hope that Ms.Elizabeth McGorian and Mr.Christopher Saunders appear by a performance of Romeo&Juliet of October 1.
    And I want Mr.Avis to play Tybolt.
    I love art of The Royal Ballet most in the world.
    I am going to watch all the performances in Japan of the next year.
    I love The Royal Ballet to the maximum from the Far East.
    Thank you very much.

14. Laura responded on 11 September 2015 at 9:25pm Reply

Thank you so much for making this! I've been trying to get tickets for rehearsals for ages without success so this is a great opportunity. One question- will this be staying on the website indefinitely?

• Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 12 September 2015 at 8:43am

Hi Laura

We will be keeping the rehearsal online indefinitely.

Best

Ellen

15. Gemma Smith responded on 11 September 2015 at 10:16pm Reply

Absolutely wonderful to get an insight into the making of a ballet. Amazing cast with phenomenal talent! Can't wait to see the full ballet, it is one of my favourites!

16. Manon1753 responded on 11 September 2015 at 10:38pm Reply

Picture of Capulets strutting comes on on ROH website, but no film. Ditto on You Tube, although I can scroll through and stop and get stills. I'm in Poland right now. Copyright problem?

• Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 12 September 2015 at 8:41am

Hi there

If you can see the frames I would assume that it's an issue with bandwidth rather than copyright. Maybe try later? Sorry not to be more help.

Ellen

17. Cinderfella responded on 12 September 2015 at 6:22am Reply

Technology is a wonderful means of staying in touch with the things that we miss.
    Cyprus is as bad as Spain for being a country with plenty of bars & restaurants, but alas no culture.
    It was a delight to watch the Royal Ballet in rehearsal. Ballet is an art form where the onlooker is constantly learning the artform.
    Well done to everyone that took part & may we have more of these glorious insights into the work at the ROH.

18. Sarah Conibear responded on 12 September 2015 at 9:42am Reply

Hi do you have to be a friend to get emails of live streams?

• Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 12 September 2015 at 9:48am

Hi Sarah

We don't email notification of live streams - we just announce them on our website and social media. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for updates.

Best wishes

Ellen

19. Margaret responded on 12 September 2015 at 11:33am Reply

Thank you for a showing this Insight event live, especially as it is so difficult to get tickets. The cast were great and I am looking forward to seeing them on stage. One thing I found was that the black background in the Linbury made it difficult sometimes to see the dancers Ryiochi and Alexander clearly.

• Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 12 September 2015 at 11:57am

Glad that you enjoyed it! Thanks for the feedback, I'll pass it on.

Best wishes

Ellen

20. Rebecca B responded on 12 September 2015 at 12:28pm Reply

I love that you have allowed us an insight into this!
    I live too far away to come to the Insight events, so I rely on the cinema screenings to see the Royal Ballet!
    Thank you so much!

21. Sarah responded on 12 September 2015 at 2:00pm Reply

16:14 the live stream stops?! it goes to a blank screen... I need help!

• Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 12 September 2015 at 5:27pm

Hi Sarah

I'm not seeing a problem with the screen. Could you refresh the page?

Best

Ellen

22. Sarah Conibear responded on 12 September 2015 at 2:44pm Reply

Well Ellen I was emailed by the ROH under the email friends@roh.org.uk at 13.10 on the 11th September informing me of the live stream under the title 'The Royal Ballet in Rehearsal live-streamed on 11 September 2015 at 7.15pm'

• Ellen West (Head of Product Management) responded on 12 September 2015 at 5:25pm

I wasn't aware of that. The Friends Department must have decided that the event was of interest to members. Hope that was useful.

Best wishes

Ellen

23. Lablady responded on 12 September 2015 at 7:39pm Reply

This is an absolutely fascinating insight into the detailed work, ongoing interpretation and skill which goes into the work from the Royal Ballet. Christopher Saunders is inspirational, and what a treat to see how the artists put his advice to immediate effect, as soon as he suggests a small improvement. These dancers are not only very skilled, but very special individuals on top. Thank you so much for sharing. It was a pleasure to hear the views of both Sarah and Alexander, and I am even more excited and grateful for the three times I am going to see the performance over the next few months.

24. Francesca Santoro L'hoir responded on 13 September 2015 at 7:41am Reply

Thank you so much for letting me know about this splendid programme! I enjoyed it so much.

25. Nick Ryan responded on 13 September 2015 at 6:18pm Reply

As with all the rehearsals, what a fascinating insight, especially Christopher Saunders' explanations. Thank you.

26. I really enjoyed the opportunity to be part of this Insight Event, I can never get tickets for events like these so it's fabulous to be able to watch the live stream! Christopher Saunders seems such a warm and very knowledgable coach. Very impressive too how FAST those dancers pick up on their corrections and implement them immediately. Fascinating and looking forward to many more of these.

27. Jean Marie Pike responded on 21 September 2015 at 8:11pm Reply

The link provided via an email notification to Friends did not work. Very disappointing, especially as I am not at all sure I will renew my Friends subscription, and this did not in any way encourage me to do so.

• Paul Spear (Digital Producer) responded on 22 September 2015 at 10:32am

Hi Jean Marie,

Sorry to hear that you had issues accessing the live-stream link to The Royal Ballet in Rehearsal. I have double checked the email and all appears fine - here is the direct link to watch on our YouTube channel if you would like to try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MALa8HxDyeA .

Best wishes
      Paul Spear
      Digital Producer

28. Katherine M responded on 25 November 2015 at 1:36am Reply

Just saw this on You Tube and I was absolutely blown away! Ryoichi is now my favorite male dancer! Hope to see more of him in lead roles!