Please do not attempt to make a booking from Sunday midnight - Monday 1.30am (GMT). Due to website updating your booking will not go through.

ROH Packages for Autumn Season 2014/15 available to book online

Build your perfect opera or ballet experience with more flexibility than ever before.

By Ellen West (Head of Online Content)

6 May 2014 at 11.49am | 41 Comments

Many people are unaware that they can obtain discounts and advance booking opportunities by booking a group of productions together. Since we relaunched our website these packages have only been available by post and phone, but we are delighted to be able to offer them online for the 2014/15 Season.

The new options are extremely flexible, offering ‘Total’ and ‘Mini’ packages or enabling you to Design Your Own. You’ll be able to add any performance in the run to your package (not be limited to a few options) and choose any seat within the available price types and sections (Amphitheatre and Orchestra Stalls/Stalls Circle*). Our Family Packages offer half price tickets for children.

Online booking for these Autumn Season packages will open during summer 2014 at 10am on the following dates:

Premium 2 Friends: 3 June 2014
Premium 1 Friends: 4 June
Supporting Friends: 6 June
Friends of Covent Garden: 10 June
General Booking: 8 July

Package details

TOTAL OPERA
Enjoy all the exciting operas in our Autumn Season.

20% discount for an Orchestra Stalls package
12% discount for an Amphitheatre package

Choose one performance from each of the Autumn Season opera productions:
Rigoletto
Anna Nicole
Il barbiere di Siviglia
I due Foscari
Idomeneo
L'elisir d'amore

TOTAL BALLET
Don’t miss a single ballet.

18% discount for an Orchestra Stalls package
10% discount for an Amphitheatre package

Choose one performance from each of the Autumn Season ballet productions:
Manon
Scènes de ballet / Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan / Symphonic Variations / A Month in the Country
Ceremony of Innocence / The Age of Anxiety / Aeternum
Don Quixote
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

MINI PACKAGES
Enjoy three of your favourite productions from our Autumn Season.

15% discount for an Orchestra Stalls package

Package E.
Choose one performance from each of these productions:
Il barbiere di Siviglia
Manon
Don Quixote

DESIGN YOUR OWN
Mix and match from our selected productions.

10% discount for an Orchestra Stalls package
5% discount for an Amphitheatre package

Choose one performance from two or more of these productions (please note that not all the productions in the Autumn Season are available in this package):
Rigoletto
Il barbiere di Siviglia
Idomeneo
L’elisir d’amore
Manon
Don Quixote

FAMILY PACKAGE
Enjoy The Royal Ballet with the whole family

Customers can buy up to two full price adult tickets and up to 4 half-price children’s tickets (under 18s). There must be 1 adult for every 2 children. All of the tickets in a Family Package must be in the same area of the theatre: either Orchestra Stalls or Amphitheatre.

Choose one performance from one or more of these productions:
Don Quixote
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

* Orchestra Stalls packages also include some seats in the Stalls Circle section

Please note:

You can exchange up to two dates from a Total Opera or a Total Ballet package, or one date from a Mini, Design Your Own and Family package. You can only exchange your tickets for another performance of the same production in the same booking period at the same price.

To offer an exchange, we will need to receive the original tickets at least three working days before the performance in question. Otherwise, we can only offer to resell the tickets, and unfortunately we cannot guarantee being able to do this. Exchanges are subject to availability and the usual Box Office conditions apply.

More details on our packages and the how to book online will be published on the website towards the end of May 2014.

By Ellen West (Head of Online Content)

6 May 2014 at 11.49am

This article has been categorised Ballet, Opera and tagged Advance Booking Package, Autumn Season 2014/15, booking, Family Packages, Friends of Covent Garden, Support

1. Stewart Winstanley responded on 6 May 2014 at 5:19pm Reply

Dear Ellen,
    I do not have preferential booking status but I will be interested in making a booking for at least 2 autumn productions: Idomeneo and I du Foscari. Will I be able to book them as a mini package. If so,will I be able to choose my own seats and do this ahead of the general booking date?
    Regards

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 7 May 2014 at 10:20am

Dear Stewart

Packages open for general booking on 8 July, which is after booking opens for the Friends of Covent Garden but ahead of general booking.

Both of the productions you mention are part of this mini package:

Package B.
      Choose one performance from each of these productions:
      I due Foscari
      Idomeneo
      L’elisir d’amore

Idomeneo is among the options for a 'design your own' package but I Due Foscari is not. You will be able to select your own seat within the allocated area.

2. Samuel Doyle responded on 12 May 2014 at 12:25pm Reply

Hi Ellen,

Great to hear these are now available online.

In the past your packages have been limited to specific dates for each of the productions, is this not the case anymore? If limitations do apply where's the best place to find details of those dates?

Many thanks,
    Samuel

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 12 May 2014 at 12:31pm

Hi Samuel

There is no longer any limitation to specific dates - we're delighted to be able to make our packages more flexible that ever!

3. Joan Hopton responded on 14 May 2014 at 11:20pm Reply

I see availibility is limited to one seat per performance. I am registered with the ROH so presumably would be able to book a seat for Manon and Don Q on 8th July. If my husband wanted to do the same would he need to register with the ROH in advance? Many thanks
    Joan

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 15 May 2014 at 9:47pm

Dear Joan

You have to book at least one seat per performance, but you are able to book more than one, so you can book for both you and your husband.

4. Michael Bruter responded on 15 May 2014 at 2:29pm Reply

Dear Ellen,

Very glad there is now a more flexible way to create a custom-designed package! Would it be possible to know which types of stalls circle seats are available for the packages? Many thanks!

Kind regards,

Michael

5. John responded on 15 May 2014 at 2:53pm Reply

Excellent news, and flexibility on dates too.

6. Malcolm Bermange responded on 15 May 2014 at 6:37pm Reply

Hi Ellen,

Delighted that Packages are now more flexible and available online. Can I suggest that they are made even more flexible?

Why not, for example in the Amphitheatre, simply give a 12% discount for 6 bookings, 10% for 3 bookings, and 5% for 2 bookings for ANY mix of productions?

Malcolm

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 29 May 2014 at 2:29pm

Thanks for the feedback Malcolm, I will pass it on to our Digital Development and Marketing departments.

7. Tom responded on 15 May 2014 at 7:27pm Reply

I like the new "design your own" package, which I understand gives a discount when one attends three or more selected productions in a particular calendar period. Could you please clarify which seats this package can contain in the Stalls Circle section?

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 15 May 2014 at 9:45pm

Hi Tom

Glad that you like the new packages! You will be able to see the tickets on the seat plan when the flexible packages are released, it would be too complicated for me to list them in text form. Hope that you don't mind the wait.

8. Tony Boyd-Williams responded on 16 May 2014 at 8:37am Reply

Most useful -many thanks, . On 10th June ,I should like to book 2 Amphitheatre tickets for Rigoletto and 4 Amphitheatre for L'elisir d'amore. Will this be possible please under the Design your Own plan?

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 29 May 2014 at 2:27pm

Dear Tony

It is necessary to book the same number of tickets for each performance in a package. If you would like the four tickets for L'elisir to be together then I would recommend booking your package through the Box Office (on the phone or in person) and let them know that you need four sets together for L'elisir but two are in a package.

9. Joan Hopton responded on 17 May 2014 at 9:04pm Reply

Hi Ellen

Many thanks for your previous answer. It's great having such a wide range of packages and being able to book them online.
    I just want to clarify something. I want to book 4 different dates for both Manon and Don Q as we want to see different casts and can't always attend together as we live 200 miles away. We may both want to attend a couple of performances but it will be mainly single seats for 6 performances and 2 seats for a couple more. This was why I asked if he needed to register also then we could each book a performance for Manon and Don Q. When the info. says 'choose one performance' I assume that means just one date per ballet. Will he need to register to book a performance for each ballet?
    many thanks
    Joan

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 25 May 2014 at 10:42pm

Hi Joan

Apologies for the time it has taken for me to come back to you - your question took some investigation. Here is what I have discovered:

If you want four performances for Don Quixote and four performances for Manon they will need four packages per person. You will require the Total Ballet package. You will both need to register. Either one person books eight packages or two people book four packages each.

If you have a question about sitting together, you have options - if one person buys the eight packages you can easily sit together as you will select your own seats. (the limit on Packages is nine) But if two people buy four packages each, you should probably call the Box Office to make sure you are in adjacent seats.

The two packages will need to be booked under your two different names. But if one person wants to make the booking, if you can be prepared with all the dates and performances you would both like, the Box Office can do that over the phone once booking for packages opens.

I hope that makes sense!

10. Nauman responded on 20 May 2014 at 11:22am Reply

I want to see the operas in package B. But I would like to see on some specific dates. How to check which dates are available for package B???

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 20 May 2014 at 4:07pm

With our new flexible packages you can choose any date!

11. Helen responded on 24 May 2014 at 4:18pm Reply

Hi Ellen. Is it possible to book these packages with differing numbers of seats? I would like to book 2 tickets to some productions and 4 to one of them. Many thanks.

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 25 May 2014 at 10:28pm

Dear Helen

I believe that the number of seats must be the same across the performances. It may be worth booking your package through the box office so that they can add some adjacent seats to your basket (but not to your package) for selected performances.

12. Anne responded on 26 May 2014 at 10:08am Reply

I am now a little confused about how many packages one can buy (nine?) and in particular how this relates to the ticket limits for friends in priority booking. which are mainly 4 per performance.

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 28 May 2014 at 12:30pm

Dear Anne

We will add more guidance on the rules surrounding packages ahead of booking opening next week.

13. Pamela Dymott responded on 28 May 2014 at 9:50pm Reply

Even though ROH has my email address I was not informed about the online booking for packages until I telephoned the Friends office.I was directed to
    where I was informed that information on how to book would be on the web site at the end of May.
    Is it now on the web page and if so where do I go to find it?
    Will I be able to book by telephone?

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 28 May 2014 at 10:13pm

Dear Pamela

An email will be sent out on Monday, ahead of Packages booking opening for Premium 2 Friends on Tuesday morning. The Packages pages will be published before the end of the week for you to familiarise yourself with them, but the packages will be as outlined in the article above.

You will still be able to book by telephone.

14. Liane Bierau responded on 2 June 2014 at 3:51pm Reply

I have now been a member of your House for quite a number of years, but I was never informed by email of the new arrangements for the packages. I phoned today to find out what has happened and was told that email had gone out to everybody some time ago but I never received any. However, I got your website now and will book next Tuesday.

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 2 June 2014 at 7:01pm

Dear Liane

Sorry to hear that you didn't receive notification. Do let us know if you have any questions regarding packages.

15. Samuel Coote responded on 4 June 2014 at 6:05pm Reply

Like Pamela Dymott and Liane Bierau (see comments above), I was not informed about the new arrangements for packages. The ‘Design Your Own’ packages would have been of great value to me, as I have avoided packages in the past as they can be inflexible.

I fear that a cynical decision was made to ‘bury’ this information within the News section of your website, in order to maximise ticket income from loyal Friends who you know will be keen to book quickly at the very start of each booking morning and who may not have time to read through protracted, hastily-issued new guidance before their preferred tickets in sought-after areas of the House sell out.

Surely a detailed letter, sent well in advance, about the changes or even an explanatory booklet would have been better and had more prominence than an email which appears to have missed many of us completely?

Sadly, it is too late for me as I have already booked my tickets (using my Premium 1 Friends membership) and I have therefore missed out on the 10% discount. I would love to think that a member of Royal Opera House staff will contact me to offer a credit voucher for the difference I have inadvertently paid, but I won’t hold my breath!

It is also a great shame that the Royal Opera House does not recognise that families do not always consist of just two adults. Later this year, I will take my god-daughter and her mother to see Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. As my partner also wishes to join us, we will be three adults and one child. Thanks to your rather outmoded definition of a family unit, I could not book a package for three adults and one child and, as such, the ticket for my god-daughter will be a full (adult) price one, even though she is very much under 18 and a first-time visitor to the Royal Opera House.

Finally, and continuing with the topic of encouraging first-time attendance to the Royal Opera House, in your April 2014 Magazine, a performance of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is incorrectly listed on pages 57 and 61 as being generally available for booking on 6 December 2014 at 1.30pm. In fact, this performance is not on sale and is reserved as a ‘Paul Hamlyn Christmas Treat’ for people who have not previously been to a performance at the Royal Opera House. I only know this after a very long time on hold and following clarification from a delightful member of your, as always, superb Box Office team.

I am very much behind The Helen Hamlyn Trust’s generous support of family performances in memory of the late Paul Hamlyn, but it is a great shame that you did not make it clear to Friends that they would not be able to book matinee tickets on 6 December. There is still no explanatory note on the Alice’s Adventures... booking page online, nor is there any clarification in the Friends’ area of the website. Simply listing the performance with a short note to state that it is not on sale and why would help a great deal.

In common with the endeavours of the late Paul Hamlyn and his family, Friends and Patrons of Covent Garden do a great deal collectively to bring newcomers to the Royal Opera House each season – inviting friends and family to share in their passion for opera and ballet, and often funding and guiding them through their very first visit. To fail to clearly indicate Hamlyn-supported performances in communications to Friends, not only inconveniences us all, but also fails to give these vital audience development initiatives the profile and prominence they surely deserve.

With best wishes,

Sam

• Sacha Glasgow-smith (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 5 June 2014 at 11:24am

Dear Sam,

We’re sorry you didn’t see the information on the new flexible booking packages, and would like to assure you that we didn’t intend for this information to be ‘buried’ at all. We published a website news piece as soon as the new format was ready and since then, information on packages now appear on the relevant production pages.

Packages are available for up to two adults and four children with half-price tickets. If you were unable to book this online, please do let us know.

Best wishes,

Sacha
      ROH Fundraising Campaigns and Communications Manager

16. Ann responded on 5 June 2014 at 1:44pm Reply

I would like to point out that the (normally very useful) page of booking dates http://www.roh.org.uk/events/booking has not been updated to include the package booking dates.
    I don't actually think that details of these packages has been "hidden" in any way. but I am surprised that some friends are complaining that they had not been sent information about the packages as it was included in the May friends news together with a clear link to this page!

17. Jeanette Swindon responded on 9 June 2014 at 11:19am Reply

While I am glad that others can benefit, I still find myself buying a lot of tickets (most ballet productions, some opera)without being able to benefit from any discount because sometimes I'm going with a friend and sometimes I am alone. Why you cannot simply give a discount to anyone buying a ticket for more than, say, two productions is beyond me. If Sadler's Wells can cope, ROH should be able to.

18. james responded on 9 June 2014 at 4:06pm Reply

Wow, this is complicated. Battling the ROH website can be difficult enough at the best of times - with the panic when the friends' seats are released when it turns out that all too often selected seats have already become 'no longer available'. To have to fight with dozens of different permutations and combinations and rules as well in order to get a package... Why not just give a discount as somebody above suggested. And why do the packages not work in the Balcony, Grand Tier and Stalls circle (or if they do, why don't you tell us it does!)? Thanks

19. Michael Bruter responded on 10 June 2014 at 9:21am Reply

Hello, I'm not sure if I am missing something obvious but I am trying to book a package (Friends of CG booking) and don't seem able to. I keep going round in circles: when I click on information on packages, it gives me the information and tells me what to book sending me to individual shows, when I arrive there it tells me that they are not on sale except through packages which I can click on, only to be back to the previous page... Is there any chance you could point us out to the actual page we need to visit to book a design your own package? Thanks! (ps: I checked and am fully logged in, etc).

20. David Coleman responded on 10 June 2014 at 10:46am Reply

Will you explain next time around how you decide which amphitheatre seats to make available for packages? We like the lower slips and, so far as I can tell, none of these are available in this season's packages. Is this likely to change for future packages?

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 11 June 2014 at 9:47pm

Dear David

The decision to allocate seats to packages are made by our Box Office team, who consider a whole range of factors. There are no plans to add lower slips to packages at present.

21. Anne responded on 10 June 2014 at 11:00am Reply

Congratulations! Once I had had got the hang of how the package system worked everything went very smoothly and I was pleased with the choice of amphitheatre seats available.

22. William Russell responded on 18 June 2014 at 1:09pm Reply

It would help when you make changes if you flagged it up really clearly as IMPORTANT. One gets lots of messages from the Opera House and things can get spiked. I had problems today trying to book two operas, two seats each and ended up double booking one. The box office resolved it for me. No complaints there. But the system was tricky.

23. Beverley responded on 23 June 2014 at 11:30am Reply

I want to know when I can book for madam butterfly.. I want to be in the stalls but think if I'm not a premium member I won't get that opportunity.. do you do deals for that production please and when will it be available here.. thanks

24. Pamela Tan responded on 9 July 2014 at 6:22pm Reply

The BP2 diary says: "18 September – Booking opens for Friends, Friends+, Senior Friends and Insiders for Advance Booking Packages only"

What is "Friends+"? This membership type is not listed under "Support us".

You have missed out listing when Joint Friends can book for BP02 and how many rehearsal tickets they can book.

Also, why have Orchestra Stalls rows A-C been excluded from Advance Booking Packages? They are my favorite seats!

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 9 July 2014 at 6:43pm

Dear Pamela

I have passed your query about BP2 to the Friends' office and will pass on their response.

Only certain seats are available as part of the Advance Booking Packages - sorry if that is disappointing.