Roberta Marquez to leave The Royal Ballet

Principal dancer to leave the Company after 11 years.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

27 November 2015 at 3.50pm | 13 Comments

Principal dancer Roberta Marquez is to leave The Royal Ballet after 11 years.

Her last performance this Season will be in Kenneth MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet on Wednesday 2 December. Marquez will return as a Guest Artist in one production in the 2016/17 Season.

Roberta joined The Royal Ballet as Principal in 2004 and has danced all the main classical roles, as well as a wide variety of Ashton, MacMillan and Balanchine repertory.

‘I have greatly enjoyed my time with The Royal Ballet and it’s been a privilege to dance so many of the roles that every female ballet dancer aspires to perform', says Roberta. 'I’m looking forward to pursuing new career opportunities and the chance to return next Season to dance one of my favourite roles.’

Director of The Royal Ballet Kevin O’Hare adds, ‘Roberta has been a greatly valued member of the Company these past 11 years. She has given many wonderful performances, enjoying notable success with the major classics as well as demonstrating fine dramatic qualities in ballets such as Manon and Romeo and Juliet. The warmth of her personality has been particularly evident in her exuberant performances as Lise in La Fille mal gardée, memorably relayed worldwide to cinemas in 2012. We wish her well for the future and are delighted to welcome her back as a Guest Artist for one of our productions in the 2016/17 Season when we will have the opportunity to celebrate her career with The Royal Ballet.’

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

27 November 2015 at 3.50pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged announcement, leaving, Roberta Marquez

1. Dave felton responded on 27 November 2015 at 6:16pm Reply

Such a shame. Best wishes Roberta.

2. Daisy responded on 27 November 2015 at 7:38pm Reply

Oh no, such a shame! We'll miss her.

3. Trevor Lamdin responded on 27 November 2015 at 11:58pm Reply

Very sad to see such a talented dancer go. So pleased I've got a ticket to see her dance on Wednesday.

4. Joao Ferreira responded on 28 November 2015 at 3:41pm Reply

Real shame, my favourite dancer. I wish her all the best.

5. What a shame. She's a favourite.

6. Robin Smith responded on 30 November 2015 at 7:28pm Reply

Always a joy to watch. Roberta's performances with Steven McRae over many productions were a must buy. They seemed to inspire each other and delight in their collective and individual virtuosity. I will miss her.

7. Lynne responded on 2 December 2015 at 12:00am Reply

Very sorry to hear this - I too will miss her. I always enjoyed Roberta;s performances, particularly in the roles of Lise, Tatiana and Juliet, as well as Aurora and Nikiya in La Bayadere. I'm now especially glad I have a ticket for Romeo & Juliet tomorrow evening, and even more disappointed that the fates conspired to stop me seeing her dance Kitri with Alexander Campbell. I wish her much luck and happiness, and will definitely be at her guest performance next season.

8. Jenny responded on 3 December 2015 at 9:05pm Reply

Roberta has given much joy and pleasure in her 11 years with the Royal Ballet. Her partnership with Steven McRae was particularly amazing and these things are rare in the ballet world. So, Manon, La Fille, La Sylphide and Giselle - fabulous memories. Also Onegin with Thiago Soares - such emotion and passion. Roberta will be sorely missed. Very best wishes for the future.

9. Roger Handley responded on 3 December 2015 at 10:22pm Reply

So sorry to see her leaving, but must wish her the best of luck both now and for the future. She will be sadly missed'''.

10. Isabel responded on 16 December 2015 at 8:16pm Reply

Wow !I'm so sad,I love her ,she is one of the best.

11. lisa responded on 22 January 2016 at 2:37pm Reply

V sad ! She is one of my favourites. Her partnership with Steven Mc rae was enticing and her warm personality shone in all her performances. Loved her in Manon. Wish her v best luck for future.

12. Janet Leese responded on 19 March 2016 at 8:36pm Reply

So glad Roberta will be back in a guest appearance in 2016/2017 season. I'd appreciate knowing the date if it's possible to send an email?