Ricardo Cervera to retire as a dancer from The Royal Ballet

The First Soloist will continue in his work as Assistant Ballet Master.

By Rachel Beaumont (Product Manager)

10 December 2015 at 10.27am | 17 Comments

At the performance of The Nutcracker on 12 December, First Soloist Ricardo Cervera will make his last appearance as a dancer with The Royal Ballet after 22 years with the Company. He will continue in his role as Assistant Ballet Master.

Cervera has performed a broad range of repertory since joining The Royal Ballet in 1993, from the 19th-century classics and 20th-century heritage ballets by Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan, to contemporary works by the Company’s associated choreographers Wayne McGregor, Christopher Wheeldon and Liam Scarlett.

Born in Malaga, Cervera grew up in Torremolinos and trained at The Royal Ballet Upper School before joining the Company in 1993. He was promoted to First Artist in 1996, Soloist in 1999 and First Soloist in 2002. He was appointed Assistant Ballet Master in 2014 and trained as a répétiteur on the Frederick Ashton Foundation’s mentoring scheme.

Director Kevin O’Hare says, ‘Ricardo has been a wonderful member of the Company for more than two decades and has given outstanding performances in a variety of roles, from the drama of Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet and Lescaut in Manon to the exuberance of Colas in La Fille mal gardée and Hans-Peter in The Nutcracker. He featured memorably as Hans-Peter in our Nutcracker DVD so it seems fitting that we should see him in this signature role at his final performance. We look forward to him continuing to work closely with us on the artistic faculty’.

By Rachel Beaumont (Product Manager)

10 December 2015 at 10.27am

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged announcement, leaver, leavers, leaving, Ricardo Cervera

1. Matthew Downie responded on 10 December 2015 at 11:33am Reply

Ricardo, we will miss watching you dance and the Nutcracker will never be the same ! You brought a wonderful personality and smile to the stage and your Lescaut and Mercutio were particularly memorable. Good luck for the future.

2. Jackie Bates responded on 10 December 2015 at 11:46am Reply

Wishing Mr Cevera all the best in his new appointment and many thanks for the pleasure his dancing has brought us.

3. Karen responded on 10 December 2015 at 12:53pm Reply

Whoa - it does NOT feel like 22 years!! (Not ageing in any way for those of us who remember him joining RB).

Have enjoyed many performances over the years, particularly Lescaut (a role that seems to be eluding many nowadays). Good to hear Cervera will continue to be part of the fabric and contribute to/influence future performances.

4. Sue Rider responded on 10 December 2015 at 10:30pm Reply

I am very sad as I have enjoyed every performance by Ricardo .... It is a bit of a shock to realise that we will not be seeing him dance again. I know he has been pursuing other avenues and wish him every success. A Royal Ballet dancer to remember.

5. Elizabeth Tebbutt responded on 11 December 2015 at 9:16am Reply

So sad to hear that Ricardo is retiring as I have always enjoyed watching him dance but delighted to hear that he is staying on with the Company as Assistant Ballet Master. Congratulations on his position within the Company: very well deserved!

6. Charlie responded on 11 December 2015 at 5:54pm Reply

Ricardo, many many thanks for all the great performances over the years. Good luck and great to see that you're staying engaged with the company. The last time I saw you was as a rather magnificent white rabbit with a rather cheeky wiggle for your curtain call ;).

7. Mrs. Riddle responded on 12 December 2015 at 4:59pm Reply

Have enjoyed watching Ricardo dancing roles for so many years especially his performances in the Nutcracker.

8. Ricardo,
    What a beautiful curtain call tonight with your fellow dancers. Thank you for your special brand of dancing. I think you are one of the most elegant dancers I have ever seen. Your style is instantly recognisable even from the cheapest seats! Thank you for the dancing. I hope the next stage of your career will be even more rewarding.

9. Alison responded on 12 December 2015 at 11:43pm Reply

I could wish that this had been announced before his penultimate performance on the 9th, as it would have given his many fans more of an opportunity to say farewell, and thank you. Anyway, I wish him all the best for the future, and look forward to him coaching the Ashton rep.

10. Valerie Knight responded on 13 December 2015 at 3:50pm Reply

Another of our favourites retiring! We first saw Ricardo Cervera dance some years ago when he took over as Lescaut after the first act due to an injury to the original Lescaut (can't remember who - we were very new to the ROH). We thought he was excellent and have always enjoyed his performances since. So pleased he is staying with RB as Assistant Ballet Master.

11. Paul Wailen responded on 13 December 2015 at 4:18pm Reply

Ricardo, it is with very deep regret that I read of your retirement as a dancer with the Royal Ballet, I have always considered you to be one of the company's most consistent and successful dancers and one of its great classical dancers. Your absence on stage will be sorely missed. I wish you all good fortune in your counting role as Assistant Ballet Master. Wishing you all good wishes and fortune for your future.

12. Christine Todd responded on 13 December 2015 at 4:43pm Reply

Ricardo, I am so sorry you have decided to retire, but of course fully understand. I was at the Royal Opera House last night so saw your final performance, you, for me, were, and always will be Nutcracker, such a fantastic dancer, we will miss you, but wish you all the very best for the future.

13. adrian burley responded on 13 December 2015 at 4:58pm Reply

A precise, distinctive style. Thankyou for all the roles I have seen you dance-Swan Lake, Raymonda, Nutcracker is a selection. Splendid as Bratfisch, Mayerling 1.6.2013- especially in the final act dancing what becomes danse macabre. You are part of what makes the Royal Ballet special.

14. Tim Ardern responded on 13 December 2015 at 8:28pm Reply

Last night I was at the ROH for the performance of The Nutcracker at which Ricardo Cervera again -and for the last time -gave his wonderful performance of Peter.
    Everything I have seen him dance has been done with complete professionalism and passion and I know he makes a huge contribution to the well being of the company with his natural good humour and generosity.
    A great artist and a special man.
    I

15. Debbie Hogan responded on 13 December 2015 at 8:44pm Reply

Wow what an amazing last performance last night 12th December 2015. It was a wonderful evening fwe eel so privileged we were able to see Ricardo dance his iconic dance as his last performance. Good luck with a great career continuing at The Royal Ballet

16. Sharon Keogh responded on 25 December 2015 at 2:37pm Reply

You are a wonderful dancer - I am reminded of that as I sit here on Christmas Day watching you in The Nutcracker. Thank goodness we have this on film of you! & thank goodness the Royal has managed to keep hold of you.

17. Lior Alexandra Aermark responded on 6 February 2016 at 10:57pm Reply

Ricardo is one of the chosen few, who are fantastically beautiful inside and out.
    His existence gives me hope, inspiration and light.