Plácido Domingo Celebration pictures

Photography from the two celebratory Plácido Domingo concerts starring the legendary singer.

By Royal Opera House

1 November 2011 at 10.36am | 4 Comments

Last week Plácido Domingo took to the stage of the Royal Opera House for two celebratory concerts.

Plácido performed extracts from Rigoletto (Act III), Simon Boccanegra (Act III) and Otello (Act III) - singing roles he has received both critical and commercial acclaim for.

The singer has been a regular since his debut with the company in 1971 as Cavaradossi in Tosca and was joined for the celebration concerts by leading artists, long time colleagues and rising stars including four debutants.

A selection of photography from the concerts:

By Royal Opera House

1 November 2011 at 10.36am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged Placido Domingo, Rigoletto, young artists

1. ursula sheehan responded on 1 November 2011 at 2:47pm Reply

Why oh why didnt the opera house record this gala for dvd?????
    Sunday afternoons performance was outstanding and it marked a milestone in Maestro Domingos appearances in Covent Garden.
    Its a crying shame that this opportunity has been overlooked.
    Sadly his wonderful performance will never be seen by future generations.
    I was lucky to have attended but I would have paid any amount to have a visual record of it.

• Alison Townsend responded on 2 November 2011 at 10:34am

I, too, was at the Sunday matinee and part of me agrees with Ms Sheehan's comments. However, the glorious singing and music-making have been recorded for posterity and those of us lucky enough to have been at either of the performances will be able to recall images from the stage in our mind's eye while listening to the radio on the 5th of November. The reaction of the other, more selfish, part of me is that when these two magnificent occasions are talked about by others in the future, as they will be, we will be among the 4,000 or so people who will be able to look the speaker in the eye, smile sweetly, and say '... and I was there'!

2. N.Barendregt responded on 11 November 2011 at 2:54pm Reply

What a wonderful birthday/anniversary celebration to listen to on also Dutch radio. But it gave me a sad feeling that I couldn't see Plácido Domingo's acting and facial expression, which is so unique! This celebration should have been recorded for a dvd-release for all those thousands of people, all over the world, who were not so privileged to be able to attend the performances.

3. Margit Rihl responded on 20 November 2011 at 5:46pm Reply

I totally agree with the previous comments. It is a terrible shame that the ROH did not record this on DVD. Not only that these were outstanding performances by any standards, they were unique events! Plácido Domingo's interpretations are milestones in opera history and not to have a visual document of this gala is simply unforgivable! I was lucky to be there and extremely happy that it was broadcast and I could at least listen at home in Austria to the online streaming (for 7 days!), but not to be able to see Domingo's superb acting was very sad!!