New apprenticeships offered at the ROH

We're currently recruiting for eight new apprentices, with opportunities across our backstage and technical departments.

By Greg Jauncey (HR and Training Manager)

6 May 2014 at 9.49am | 10 Comments

The Royal Opera House is currently recruiting eight new apprentices to join us in September 2014. This year's opportunities are in costume, wigs and make-up, scenic art, scenic carpentry, scenic metalwork, props and technical theatre.

We're pleased to also be offering apprenticeships for the first time in our Prop-making and Wigs and Make-up departments.

The Props Carpentry/Metalwork Apprentice will gain the skills and experience required to manufacture, repair and modify props, using a wide variety of techniques and materials. The apprentice's time will be split between the Royal Opera House’s Props Making Department and the Building Crafts College in Stratford, where they will study for a Level 2 Apprenticeship in Bench Joinery and undertake some extended modules in Fine Woodworking. Training in metalwork skills will be also be provided.

The Wigs and Make-up Apprentice will develop the practical craft skills relating to hair, make-up and special effects make-up needed for both ballet and opera productions, working towards a Level 3 Diploma in Technical, Special Effects, Hair and Media Make-up. ‘We're very keen to bridge the gap between education and industry' said Bridget Foster, the Ballet Team Leader for Wigs and Make-up. 'We want to ensure that the very traditional techniques that the department uses are passed on to a new generation of Wigs and Make-up artists.’

The Royal Opera House has been offering apprenticeships in backstage production and technical departments since 2007. Previous apprentices have achieved continued success in the sector, making costumes for London 2012 Opening Ceremony, painting scenery at the Sydney Opera House and gaining employment within the organization.

See full details about our apprenticeship scheme and how to apply.

Apprenticeships at the Royal Opera House are generously supported by the Derek Butler Trust, The Headley Trust, Ashley Family Foundation, Gordon Foundation and the Worshipful Company of Joiners’ and Ceilers Charitable Trust.

By Greg Jauncey (HR and Training Manager)

6 May 2014 at 9.49am

This article has been categorised Learning and tagged apprenticeship, apprenticeships, jobs, learning, training

1. Brooke Langworth green responded on 21 August 2014 at 1:33pm Reply

Hello my names Brooke! I'm 18 years old! I was just wondering if you still had any apprenticeships going for the makeup? I've currently done a year of media makeup and college but I have re applied for a further year at London west Thames college but I haven't been accepted as the course is full up! I'm panicking now as I was suppose to start in 2 weeks and was offered a conditional place! I would love to work for the royal opera house! Please let me know if you have any vacancies!

Kind regards
    Brooke

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 21 August 2014 at 3:11pm

Hi Brooke,

You can see details of work experience and apprenticeships on the 'Work here' section of our website.

Do take a look at (and bookmark) http://www.roh.org.uk/about/work-here as any placements/apprenticeships will be posted there.

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

2. Charlotte Nunn responded on 3 November 2014 at 6:09pm Reply

To Chris Shipman,
    Hello my name is Charlotte Nunn and I have been looking at apprenticeships and courses in set design and prop making. I have found your company and am interested in what you have to offer. I was wondering if it would be at all possible to come and visit and see first-hand what the apprenticeship would involve as I am interested in making set and prop design a career. Currently I am taking 3D Design and Maths A-levels at Seevic and I have times during the week when I could come up.
    Yours Sincerely
    Charlotte Nunn

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 4 November 2014 at 11:46am

Hi Charlotte,

It's probably best to sign up for vacancy alerts. We've also some information on what apprenticeships involve here.

Thanks

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

3. Jess Robin responded on 18 March 2015 at 9:40pm Reply

I'm 18 Years old and looking into Uni and apprenticeship options to study wigs and makeup, or special effects makeup. I really love the look and sound of your wigs and makeup apprenticeship but the opening or closing date for 2015 applications hasn't come up. Is there any way I could get any more information on this?

Thankyou, Jess.

4. Jordan Williams responded on 14 May 2015 at 4:23pm Reply

Hey! My names Jordan and I'm very interested in your wigs and special affects make up apprentice. I am currently studying media production arts make up at college and will be qualified at the start of summer 2016. I was wondering will this apprentice still be available if so when will I be able to apply? Thanks
    Jordan Williams

5. Ellie Warwick responded on 1 July 2015 at 3:12pm Reply

Hello, i'm interested in your wigs and make-up apprenticeship. Will this apprenticeship be available in 2016?

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 1 July 2015 at 3:32pm

Hi Ellie,

Autumn 2016 apprenticeships will be confirmed in the Spring. Wig and make-up apprenticeships may be offered but this is not yet confirmed - do check back then!

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

6. Peche responded on 24 August 2015 at 2:06pm Reply

Hi,
    My name is Peche Wooler I'm 24 years old.
    I was just wondering if you still had any apprenticeships going for the wig Making ? I've currently doneed a NVQ level2 in hairdressing and whilst taking some time out to travel and think more in to what I want to go into as a career I have decide
    decided I d very much like to go back in to hair but in to theatrical wig Making.
    I haven't made a wig before but would really like to have a opportunity to work with you.
    Please let me know if you have any vacancies!

Peche Wooler

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 24 August 2015 at 4:28pm

Hi Peche,

We don't currently have any vacancies for apprentices in the Wigs and Make-up team, but it's worth keeping an eye on our Vacancies page:

Any vacancies will be posted there.

Thanks