Melissa Hamilton to join Semperoper Ballett, Dresden on leave of absence for 2015/16 Season

Royal Ballet First Soloist to join the German company for a year, concentrating on particular works in their repertory.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

5 May 2015 at 12.43pm | 7 Comments

For the 2015/16 SeasonMelissa Hamilton will have leave of absence from The Royal Ballet. She will spend the year as a Principal dancer with the Semperoper Ballett in Dresden, Germany under the directorship of Aaron Watkin, concentrating on particular works in their repertory during that time.

Kevin O’Hare said: 'After eight years with the company Melissa has progressed to the rank of First Soloist and has excelled in a wide ranging repertory. At this stage in her career I am pleased to be able to give Melissa this opportunity to work with the Semperoper Ballett Dresden and hope that she enjoys the experience.'

Aaron Watkin said: 'I am very happy to have Melissa with us next season. She is a dancer I have always admired, extremely versatile and represents exactly the type of artist I need leading our company. Outstanding in the contemporary and neo-classical repertoire, I look forward to seeing her take on the challenge of new classical roles'.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

5 May 2015 at 12.43pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged 2015/16, Melissa Hamilton, Semperoper Ballett

1. Joanne responded on 5 May 2015 at 8:22pm Reply

Will miss her with the Royal Ballet - but she will be amazing and I hope she comes back next year (as principal with the RB maybe!)
    Good luck!

2. W J Owen responded on 5 May 2015 at 10:22pm Reply

Good luck Melissa. I've always loved your dancing and this is a fantastic opportunity for you. You will be missed!

3. Nick Byrne responded on 6 May 2015 at 8:40am Reply

I'll miss her too - thought something was happening when I saw her name missing from Raven Girl. This is a terrific career opportunity for her - I'll def be going to see her there - Hals und Beinbruch! - as they say in German although that does sound terrifying for a dancer literally speaking!

4. Margo responded on 6 May 2015 at 7:52pm Reply

Brilliant opening for you Melissa. They will love you!

5. Margo responded on 6 May 2015 at 7:56pm Reply

Look forward to seeing you back with the Royal Ballet...

6. Peter responded on 29 February 2016 at 9:48am Reply

Melissa's performance as Nikiya in La Bayadère at Semperoper on last Saturday night struck me as truly first rate - emotionally-charged but pure, nuanced, technically strong, flowing and beautiful to watch. (I loved the Semperoper Ballet production too - lovely designs). Great stuff!

7. Stevie responded on 28 August 2016 at 8:41pm Reply

Very pleased to see she is progressing to Principle at Semperoper and also that we will all be able to see her performing Manon PDD shortly, on Blu-ray, to be released on 30th Sept 16.' Gala Des Étoiles: Teatro Alla Scala .'