Watch: Lucia di Lammermoor live-streamed Insight event

Join Director Katie Mitchell and other members of the cast and creative team for a glimpse of the new production before opening night.

By Rose Slavin (Assistant Content Producer)

10 March 2016 at 5.05pm | 8 Comments

On 10 March 2016, a ROH Insights event focused on Katie Mitchell’s new production of Lucia di Lammermoor will be live-streamed for free via the Royal Opera House YouTube channel and this page.

The event, presented by Amy Lane, The Royal Opera's Head Staff Director, will give behind the scenes insights into Gaetano Donizetti’s opera through a series of interviews with members of the cast and creative team.

Director Katie Mitchell will discuss her new production with set designer Vicki Mortimer, Dr. Flora Willson from King's College London will explore the origins of the operaand American tenor Charles Castronovo and French baritone Ludovic Tezier will discuss the challenges of bringing complex characterization to the stage.

The event will also explore the music from the opera with conductor Richard Hetherington, including a performance by Korean tenor David Kim Junghoon, a singer on the Jette Parker Young Artist Programme.

Subscribe to the Royal Opera House YouTube channel for notifications about further live streams:

The Royal Opera's Lucia di Lammermoor Insight will be live-streamed on 10 March 2016 from 7.15pm GMT.

Lucia di Lammermoor runs 7 April 2016–19 May 2016. Tickets are still available.

1. Lynn McRae responded on 5 March 2016 at 5:32am Reply

Hi, We're really interested to see your Lucia di Lammermoor Insights on 10 March. I've clicked on the "YouTube" button but nothing happens - what else do I need to do?
    Thank you. Regards, Lynn

• Rose Slavin (Assistant Content Producer) responded on 7 March 2016 at 1:13pm

Hi Lynn,
      The Lucia Insights event will be live streamed from our YouTube channel on 10 March 2015 at 7.15 GMT. Do be sure to click on to our YouTube Channel then.

If you cannot watch live on 10 March, the full live stream will be made available to watch on our YouTube channel afterwards.

All best wishes,
      Rose

2. Anita Teesdale responded on 9 March 2016 at 4:32pm Reply

I do so WISH we could have productions in authentic, or at least glamorous period costumes to add that extra dimension to the beautiful music and voices - SO BORING this dull spate of `modern dress` interpretations....

• Sebastian Petit responded on 13 April 2016 at 11:53pm

But the production is set in Victorian period and it's beautiful as well as innovative and probing

3. Karen responded on 12 March 2016 at 2:57am Reply

I feel the opposite way from the previous commenter--the last thing I want to see is "authentic" costumes, which for me rarely add any additional dimension at all. I would much rather see a production that gives me something new to think about. I've seen traditional productions plenty enough.

4. Stephen Diviani responded on 14 March 2016 at 1:21pm Reply

Couldn't agree more, Karen. Yes, I want a production to be first-class musically, I want to hear great voices, I want striking stage pictures, but I also want the production to show me new things about how the opera can be read, to make me think about the opera differently. Otherwise, I could stay at home listening to recordings or only ever go to concert performances. Or convert to musical theatre. If Ms Teesdale had bothered to watch the film she would have noted that the director & designer are keen that the frocks and the design be beautiful.

5. Alejandro Spoltore responded on 14 March 2016 at 3:23pm Reply

I cant wait to see this new production , its good to have so much creativity on stage , alongside with great voices, Congratulations ROH .

6. What a fantastic interview! I have truly enjoyed this. The artists have shared an amazing amount of information. Both Castranova and Tezier are fantastic! I could watch this for hours, and I'll probably do, as I will reprise over and over. again, as it is so inspiring!

Thanks Charles for explaining about how you've learned to know your voice each day. I certainly think I know my voice, as I have good days and bad days (more bad than good actually :D)

Kings College, Dr. Flora Wilson, I could listen to you for hours as well!

Thank you Royal Opera House and everyone involved in this production and interview for sharing it with us! Cheers xx