La traviata to be live streamed online for free as part of BP Big Screens on 20 May 2014

The event is the first live stream of a complete opera from the Royal Opera House.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

28 April 2014 at 10.59am | 91 Comments

Update: This event has now passed. Read audience reactions to the streaming.

The Royal Opera's La traviata is live streamed for free worldwide on 20 May at 6.30pm BST as part of BP Big Screens 2014. You will be able to watch right here, or on our YouTube channel.

The event is the first live stream of a complete opera from The Royal Opera and will mark 25 years of support from BP, which has enabled half a million people to enjoy world-class opera and ballet through free events around the UK. There is no catch up after the event, just the live stream and unfortunately for reasons beyond our control this will not be available in Germany.

As well as being streamed online, La traviata is also streamed in public squares and parks around the country. It will be followed by BP Big Screen relays of La bohème on 15 July, and Rigoletto on 17 September. There are no plans to live stream these two future titles online at present.

BP first supported the Big Screen programme in 2000, when there was just one screen in Covent Garden, although the partnership began in 1988 with a wide variety of activities. Last Season was the most successful year for BP Big Screens, which saw more than 45,000 people watching from as far afield as Aberdeen, Belfast and Plymouth.

Find out what time the live-stream takes place in your time zone.

Find your nearest BP Big Screen.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

28 April 2014 at 10.59am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged BP Big Screens, by Richard Eyre, free, La traviata, live stream, online, Production, YouTube

1. Caroline Cawston responded on 28 April 2014 at 5:06pm Reply

Three cheers for you! Hope this will be the first of many live streams, particularly of performances that are otherwise sold out.

2. Richard A Diez responded on 29 April 2014 at 1:53am Reply

I am an Opera fan. When in London in the 60-90's I always would catch the Coventt Garden Royyal Opera. Love it. I think it's incredable what BP IS GOING FOR THE PUBLIC. I WISH WE HAD IIT HERE, WHERE WE can see the met in various theaters, but not free!,,, Thanks.

• Barb responded on 17 May 2014 at 4:22pm

Have not missed a met live in HD. Would love to see you in theaters too. In Vero Beach Fl. They sell out 2 theatres so there is a demand.

3. Trudy Armitage responded on 29 April 2014 at 9:12am Reply

This is wonderful!. I was a regular at the Opera and Ballet when I lived in the UK.

Thanks to BP and the Royal Opera House.

4. Mary Oakes responded on 29 April 2014 at 10:55am Reply

Thank you for bringing the arts to the north, it is magical and so cheap!!!!

5. José B. Lee responded on 30 April 2014 at 5:16am Reply

As we say here in Hawaii, mahalo nui loa - thank you very much. I certainly look forward to your bringing your interpretation of Violetta and Alfredo's tragic romance to the world. Aloha!

6. Fliss responded on 1 May 2014 at 11:47am Reply

Please could you tell me what time the online live-streaming will be for La Traviata
    Thanks

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 1 May 2014 at 12:21pm

Hi Fliss,

The stream starts at 7pm BST. We'll amend the details above to include this.

Thanks,

7. George Young responded on 8 May 2014 at 1:39pm Reply

Re BP Big Screen live streaming of La traviata?

Will I be able to steam this to my ipad

Regards

George

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 10 May 2014 at 1:11pm

Hi George,

Yes, you'll be able to stream via iPad.

Enjoy!

8. David Steel responded on 13 May 2014 at 5:44am Reply

7pm BST will be 3.30am in South Australia. Will it be possible to record the performance for later viewing? If so, what size will the download be?

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 13 May 2014 at 10:15am

Hi David,

We're afraid it won't be possible to view the film on demand.

Apologies,

9. Adam responded on 14 May 2014 at 12:33am Reply

I am in New York. Is it possible to see this from my iPod?

Bests,

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 14 May 2014 at 11:11am

Hi Adam,

The stream will be available via YouTube and is iOS compatible , so if you have that app/can browse to our site where it'll be embedded, you'll be able to view it.

Thanks,

10. Gloria Smolenyak responded on 14 May 2014 at 7:42am Reply

I am so excited about this streaming.
    Is it really possible that I will be able to see this on my computer in my home. In the central mountains of Arizona. USA. I am the last one on the line, so remote. I can hardly believe it. Simon Keenlyside is my favorite.
    Thank you from my heart. Gloria

11. john responded on 15 May 2014 at 2:03pm Reply

do i need to aquire a ticket

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 15 May 2014 at 3:03pm

Hi John,

No ticket required - simply navigate to our YouTube channel at 6.30pm on the day of the stream!

Thanks,

12. L. J. Adamson responded on 15 May 2014 at 3:10pm Reply

Is it Simon Keenlyside as Germont?
    If so, I'm in, even if I have to get up at 5am to watch.
    I'm CST in the US, Texas specifically. What time will this be shown by my clock?

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 15 May 2014 at 4:05pm

Hi,

Yes, Simon Keenlyside will be singing Germont. It'll be from 12.30pm CST your time.

Thanks and enjoy,

13. Natalia responded on 15 May 2014 at 10:21pm Reply

I have just seen La Travita at the Royal Opera (09.05). It was one of the best La Traviata I have ever seen! I am happy I will watch it once again!

14. Jean responded on 16 May 2014 at 12:22am Reply

I LOVE the ROH - the operas and the buildings. Paul Hamlyn Hall is a marvel. I saw La Fille Du Regiment in March, with one of Dame Kiri's last Opera performances. It was SUPER! I am looking forward here outside Boston, MA to seeing the live stream of La Traviata. It is just one of the most wonderful Operas. Great choice. Enjoy!

15. L Hunt responded on 16 May 2014 at 8:55pm Reply

Traviata is my favourite and what an amazing cast! I'm very keen to watch the live broadcast on Tuesday as I couldn't get tickets, and I'm trying to check I advance if it will work. I'd like to watch it on my TV screen. I can get to the ROH website or directly to you tube. Will I be able to access the streaming from there? Do I need to have YouTube account? Apologies if these questions seem obvious but I haven't tried this technology before. Many thanks
    L

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 20 May 2014 at 4:32pm

Hi there

You don't need an account on YouTube, just visit this page at 6.30pm and you'll be able to watch from then.

Hope you enjoy it!

Best wishes

Ellen

16. Golde responded on 16 May 2014 at 9:23pm Reply

What is the link for the La Traviata live broadcast? On the Royal Opera site it gives http://www.bp.com/arts&culture as the link but I get an error message when I click the link. Is that because it's not yet active. I don't want to miss it.

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 20 May 2014 at 4:30pm

Hi Golde

This very page is the best place to watch tonight's live relay.

Best wishes

Ellen

17. Serafima Foll responded on 16 May 2014 at 11:14pm Reply

I am sad ,that you did not broadcast one of the performances with Damrau and Hvorostovsky - they had a great success! Of course, Keenlyside also a good baritone, but Hvorostovsky - Germont is fantastic! How wonderful his voice sounded as accurately adjusted accents as an actor .... sorry, I think you made ​​the wrong choice for broadcast.A lot of people around the world would be grateful to you,if they could like to see the incredible,amazing duo of Diana Damrau and Dmitri Hvorostovsky!

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 20 May 2014 at 4:29pm

Dear Serafima

The dates for the BP Big Screens (and therefore the associated live stream) are determined by availability of UK outdoor screens and also by the an attempt to ensure the best possible outcome with the weather - that is why we are broadcasting the final performance of the run.

I'm sure that lots of people around the world will enjoy the amazing Ailyn Pérez, Stephen Costello and Simon Keenlyside tonight!

Best wishes

Ellen

18. Stefanie responded on 17 May 2014 at 1:50pm Reply

Will the live stream be available in Germany? It says worlwide, but recently some ROH live content was not because of some strict copyright legislation only existing in this country? Thanks for confirming.

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 19 May 2014 at 5:00pm

Hi Stefanie,

Unfortunately the stream won't be available in Germany, due to a dispute between Google (who own YouTube, who'll be delivering the stream) and the German government.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon, but at present we're afraid the relay won't be available in Germany.

19. Frank responded on 17 May 2014 at 9:50pm Reply

This is marvellous news. I saw this production on mindshare evening at the ROH in Covent Garden and it was outstanding - brilliant singers, marvellous orchestra, well worth watching .

20. marie dunseith responded on 19 May 2014 at 2:57am Reply

hoping you will follow with HD presentations in theatre. Noticed that one of your productions, Sicilian Vespers, was screened at a local theatre yesterday at 1.00 p.m., but no notice in our newspapers.

are you contemplating anyother screenings in Canada.

The Met HD productions are a wold success here with a dozen cinemas in Toronto along screening live productions from the Met.

Your productions would be sooooo welcome!

21. Margaret responded on 19 May 2014 at 7:42pm Reply

I desperately want to see this ,but don't know how to do it. I have iPad, desk top and a tv that has you tube. How do I get the opera on any of these?

22. Margaret responded on 20 May 2014 at 11:17am Reply

Thanks. Great! One other question. Does the live streaming broadcast begin before the opera to give newcomers like me time to get set up?

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 20 May 2014 at 12:23pm

Hi Margaret,

Yes, the opera will begin a little later than the broadcast, so you'll have time to get set up!

Thanks,

23. Irina responded on 20 May 2014 at 11:22am Reply

Will on-line stream be available in Russia?

Hi Irina,

Yes, the stream should be available in Russia.

Thanks,

24. Bernice responded on 20 May 2014 at 11:47am Reply

Will Simon Keenlyside be singing? I do hope so. Really missed him on Saturday.

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 20 May 2014 at 12:22pm

Hi Bernice,

Yes, Simon will be singing.

Enjoy!

25. Martin Vella responded on 20 May 2014 at 3:49pm Reply

HI - I would like to inquire whether the streaming will be available in Malta.

Thanks and regards

Martin Vella
    Malta

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 20 May 2014 at 4:07pm

Yes Martin, hope you can join us!

Ellen

26. petra responded on 20 May 2014 at 4:58pm Reply

any news about Germany .... are we really not able to see it???

27. Sharon Jones responded on 20 May 2014 at 5:09pm Reply

Will the live streaming have surtitles in English please?

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 20 May 2014 at 6:01pm

Hi Sharon,

Yes they will.

Enjoy!

28. Lawrence responded on 20 May 2014 at 5:21pm Reply

I would love to watch it on my smart TV - how do I go about it please? If I get Google up on the TV screen what do I do then? Sorry, I am absolutely hopeless with technology!

29. Sharon responded on 20 May 2014 at 5:57pm Reply

Which site will offer the best picture and sound quality please?

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 20 May 2014 at 6:00pm

Hi Sharon,

All should be the same.

Thanks,

30. Michael Growcott responded on 20 May 2014 at 6:43pm Reply

Not going so well so far. Long gaps with the circling of dots. I am watching in France on a laptop. Anything I should do to improve reception?

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 20 May 2014 at 10:59pm

Dear Michael

We had a couple of teething problems ahead of the show itself starting at 7pm. Hope that you were able to enjoy the performance itself without interruption.

Best wishes

Ellen

31. Hazel Spencer responded on 20 May 2014 at 6:54pm Reply

Traviata - can't get it to stream. Gutted. Am I the only one having problems?

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 20 May 2014 at 10:58pm

Sorry to hear you had problems Hazel. Did the stream settle down for you?

Best wishes

Ellen

32. Doraluz Campo responded on 20 May 2014 at 7:18pm Reply

Here, from Bucaramanga, Colombia, Souh America. Grateful and happily seeing Traviata with friends!!! Thank you!!!

33. Hervey responded on 20 May 2014 at 7:29pm Reply

Thank you BP for bringing the best of UK to the World

34. Karin responded on 20 May 2014 at 7:31pm Reply

What a wonderful idea, streaming it life on my tv now, on full screen and full volume..

Adore it..

35. Rosina responded on 20 May 2014 at 7:41pm Reply

Enjoying the performance from California! Amazing sound and quality, Ailyn is in great form!

36. Jonathan responded on 20 May 2014 at 7:45pm Reply

Please, please, 'streamed free' not 'for free'!

37. anne Cabin Saint Marcel responded on 20 May 2014 at 8:03pm Reply

Thank you for your initiative . Having good time in Champagne region !

38. Ross gerrie responded on 20 May 2014 at 8:08pm Reply

What time does it finish tonight

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 20 May 2014 at 8:17pm

Hi Ross

Around 10.10pm (BST).

Best wishes

Ellen

39. Anatole Scerri Diacono responded on 20 May 2014 at 8:20pm Reply

Well done and thank u from the island of Malta

40. Vivienne responded on 20 May 2014 at 8:27pm Reply

I can watch on iPad but not to other devices such as Apple TV

41. regina responded on 20 May 2014 at 8:33pm Reply

Watching online in Dublin, Ireland and this is bringing back so many happy memories of evenings at the Royal Opera House! The cast is superb, thanks to everyone who made the live stream possible. Please make it be the first of many!

42. Robert Baylis responded on 20 May 2014 at 8:57pm Reply

This broadcast failed to come through to my home cinema system via Apple TV despite the trailer working perfectly

Very disappointing. Please get the trailers and live broadcasts working to the same format so that we can establish that things work in advance….

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 20 May 2014 at 10:56pm

Sorry to hear that Robert. The format is the same, but a greater bandwidth is required for a live stream so it may be that your connection was struggling.

Best wishes

Ellen

43. Ernie Adams responded on 20 May 2014 at 9:19pm Reply

Enjoying from the other side of the "pond"

44. Baldur Símonarson responded on 20 May 2014 at 9:48pm Reply

As well as being streamed online, La traviata is also streamed in public squares and parks around the country. It will be followed by BP Big Screen relays of La bohème on 15 July, and Rigoletto on 17 September. There are no plans to live stream these two future titles online at present.

It is a great pity that there are no plans to stream La bohème or Rigoletto! But I am enjoying La traviata tonight.

45. Roberta responded on 20 May 2014 at 10:23pm Reply

Absolutely stunning and glorious. Thank you BP for making this possible to stream. I mostly listened while I worked in Houston. It was a rare and beautiful event for me. Please, if more of these could be streamed, that would be wonderul. Thank you.

46. Ron responded on 20 May 2014 at 10:25pm Reply

THANK YOU ROH and BP for a thrilling webcast this afternoon. Everyone did a great job and it was so exciting watching this from New York. Please continue to show more.
    All the best...
    Ron

47. Bernice responded on 20 May 2014 at 10:28pm Reply

Loved the screening but how rude to interrupt the performers in the middle of their curtain calls and not to show the performers' credits at the end!

48. Marie responded on 20 May 2014 at 10:29pm Reply

Thank you thank you for such a fantastic production Ailyn was such a good actress and an amazing beautiful voice looking forwards to the 24th in the cinema and july at home. Such a wonderful opportunity to see wonderful Opera Thank You.

49. Betty Berry responded on 20 May 2014 at 10:32pm Reply

What an amazing production and what a stunning Violetta! I sat at home on the island of Gozo and watched it on my laptop - what a treat.
    Please, please can we have more live streaming of operas into our homes? It really is a brilliant way to introduce the joy of opera to a bigger audience. Thanks ROH and BP for a great night in!

50. Richard responded on 20 May 2014 at 10:33pm Reply

Thank you, it was terrific- almost as good as being in the house. I hope this presentation has helped make new opera fans.

51. Catherine responded on 20 May 2014 at 10:33pm Reply

Wonderful!!!!!!! Thank you so much for making it possible to see this in Louisville Kentucky.

52. Yumna responded on 20 May 2014 at 11:01pm Reply

I laughed and a cried in a dark room halfway across the world. I've watched a fair amount of Ballet at the ROH, but this is the first time that I really cared about the opera.

Bravo. And Brava.

And Thank You.

53. Maja Arnestad responded on 20 May 2014 at 11:17pm Reply

Wonderful performance tonight - watching it from Oslo, Norway was (almost) as good as being in Covent Garden. Congratulations, hope you will stream the next two Big Screen performances too!

54. W J Owen responded on 20 May 2014 at 11:29pm Reply

Really enjoyed the performance. So lucky to get this online for free. I saw it recently at ROH with Diana Damrau and enjoyed the performance tonight just as much. I did think Natasha Kaplinski was a bad choice as a presenter though. I know you are trying to get new people to opera so you might want to choose someone who is known to non opera goers but I thought she was totally out of her depth. Going up to the singers at the end of the performance seemed totally inappropriate and really broke the spell. Antonio Pappano would have been a great choice as presenter - he knows his stuff but is a brilliant communicator.

55. Diana Zaidman responded on 20 May 2014 at 11:35pm Reply

Thank you.You and the city of London give to the world a Great Demonstration of what is Art and the veritable Cultur.Congratulations and Auguri..

56. Jenny Birchett responded on 20 May 2014 at 11:48pm Reply

Hi, all at ROH!
    Terrific performance this evening, so a big thank you for that. I do come to ROH but it's not so easy from Derbyshire.
    But please, please don't go the way of the Live Met broadcasts (on Radio 3) and shove a microphone in the face of the performers during the intervals, it's excruciating!
    Let the performers maintain their focus and their important preparation, or 'switching-off' time.
    These classic works can stand by themselves, and don't need to be dumbed-down by 'easy-on-the-eye' presenters asking daft questions.
    How about helpful plot or music insights from one or more of your own education staff, to help those who may not have tried opera before?

57. Tony Angel responded on 21 May 2014 at 1:55am Reply

A lovely traditional performance. I felt and enjoyed every minute of it. Please, please stream the other productions. They are fantastic for those people who cannot attend Covent Garden or the Large Screen events.

58. Jose Lee responded on 21 May 2014 at 2:34am Reply

BRAVO! Aloha from Hawaii . . .

59. Erika responded on 21 May 2014 at 3:23am Reply

Great performance! we are enjoying it in Mexico. We are a grateful opera community accross the world!

60. Erika responded on 21 May 2014 at 3:25am Reply

Thank you ! great performance...
    Enjoying it online from mexico

61. Eleanor responded on 21 May 2014 at 6:29am Reply

Best brunch entertainment EVER!!
    Bit of a scare when nothing happening at !!:30am MDT (Calgary, Alberta) &..
    so relieved when saw notification saying broadcast would begin in 24 mins.
    Enjoyed the performance a great deal and send many thanks to ROH and BP. Hope you do it again soon!! Also, because of this streaming, I learned ROH now streaming to Cinema in Calgary.....been attending Met and ROH Ballet in movie theatre but very happy that will now be able to see some great Opera from the Garden!

62. John Brickell responded on 21 May 2014 at 7:03am Reply

Anyone know why the broadcast failed to an error message on my Panasonic Viera? The U-tube app was working perfectly well otherwise.

63. Michael Growcott responded on 21 May 2014 at 9:28am Reply

Dear Ellen West, thank you for your response to my earlier comment. The actual performance was wonderful with only a couple of minor interruptions which I think are largely down to our router. In the interests of feeding back our actual experience the sound initially was rather unbalanced with the orchestra overpowering the singers but that settled down quite quickly. There were also odd light levels which may be down to the camera automatically adjusting, particularly when there was a closer focus on Violetta's white ballgown. But these too also disappeared after the first half of act one. What the experience has shown up is that I need to get better speakers for our computer! But even on our poor ones the singing was wonderful and the performance very moving. Thank you very much ROH and BP.

64. Margaret responded on 21 May 2014 at 5:00pm Reply

Thanks for the help with connecting. To the live stream. We thoroughly enjoyed the opera and look forward to many more.
    Why no big screen venues in the Midlands?

65. Michael Possener responded on 23 May 2014 at 12:09am Reply

Judging by the comments this was a marvellous performance. What a pity therefore that there is no "catch-up" for people like me who were not available at the broadcast time to watch it. Your previous live transmission over a whole day could be seen for some time afterwards. We all hope that you will be doing more transmissions in the future so please include catch-up if only for a few days.

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 25 May 2014 at 10:35pm

Dear Michael

We would love to be able to provide a catch up, but for a full performance this would mean incurring additional costs in terms of rights. We will continue to explore options for live streaming and on demand viewing.

Best wishes

Ellen

This article has 1 mention elsewhere

1. April 28, 2014 « johnrpierce.com Blog:  […] La Traviata  from the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, to be live-streamed online for free as part of BP Big Screens on 20 May 2014. […]