La Fille mal gardée, starring Natalia Osipova and Steven McRae, to be released on DVD and Blu-Ray

Title will be released on 1 November 2015, but is now available to pre-order.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

8 May 2015 at 11.50am | 38 Comments

Frederick Ashton's La Fille mal gardée, starring Natalia Osipova and Steven McRae, is to be released on DVD and Blu-Ray.

The performance was captured during this week's live cinema relay. Read audience reactions to the cinema relay. As well as the live performance, the relay featured a series of backstage films, including rehearsal footage and interviews with members of the cast and creative team.

‘Ashton’s choreography, along with the music and designs, creates such an uplifting mood’, says Steven McRae, who performed the role of Colas. ‘It’s vibrant and the energy is high. He combines some very touching moments, where it’s obvious how in love the two lead characters are, with some of the most virtuoso sections of choreography that we have in The Royal Ballet’.

Download our La Fille mal gardée Digital Programme, which contains specially selected features to bring you closer to the production.

La Fille mal gardée runs from 27 September–22 October 2016. Tickets are still available.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

8 May 2015 at 11.50am

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Blu-Ray, by Frederick Ashton, DVD, La Fille mal gardee, Natalia Osipova, Production, Shop, Steven McRae

1. Luisa Bucciotti responded on 8 May 2015 at 12:06pm Reply

I'm very happy! Thank you!

2. Sandie responded on 8 May 2015 at 12:15pm Reply

Absolutely fantastic news. Can't wait!

3. Louise responded on 8 May 2015 at 12:26pm Reply

This is brilliant news! Thank you!

4. Vicky Hurst responded on 8 May 2015 at 12:30pm Reply

Fantastic news, can't wait! I think all cinema performances should be released on DVD. What a wonderful library or performances you could build up! It would also be wonderful if some past performances from the 1970s and 1980s could be released so that people can see performances by the amazing dancers from that era.

5. Fiona responded on 8 May 2015 at 12:31pm Reply

Wonderful! I need it now!

6. Anne T responded on 8 May 2015 at 1:14pm Reply

The best news of the day, thank you very much for allowing us to re-live the beautiful work done by the very talented Dancers of the Royal Ballet. This was a superb performance and will be an excellent addition to the DVD collection you have produced. Please continue the good work and bring us all the cinema films as DVDs :-)

7. Christina K responded on 8 May 2015 at 4:47pm Reply

Will there be a DVD of Manon too? It was the best of the cinema performances so far. It would be a shame not to release it.

8. Alice Wheeler responded on 8 May 2015 at 5:23pm Reply

Thank you so much, you have made my day!!

9. midsman responded on 8 May 2015 at 9:08pm Reply

Will the interval conversation be included?? If so,it would be nice to correct the apparent misapprehension that Ashton's "Two Pigeons" has not been performed for 30 years.At ROH,it hasn't is what they meant,I suppose.

10. C. Reid responded on 9 May 2015 at 4:53am Reply

This is the absolutely wonderful news! Is it possible to preorder my copy?

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 10 May 2015 at 11:44am

Yes, we'll post pre-order details as soon as a date is confirmed.

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

11. J Pidgeon responded on 9 May 2015 at 8:17am Reply

Wonderful news, we can relive it again and again!

12. Nick B responded on 9 May 2015 at 12:55pm Reply

Brilliant performance. Can't wait to get a copy of the DVD to go with my Marianela N and Carlos A version!

13. C Rhodes responded on 10 May 2015 at 5:13pm Reply

Amazing news. The cinema relay last Tuesday was my first performance of Fille and I loved it so much I have been to the encore today as well. A great end to a wonderful season at ROH.

14. Marcia Freed responded on 10 May 2015 at 10:57pm Reply

the ballet was amazing and such a treat for people on the West Coast of USA. Please do consider releasing Manon which we were unable to see here. Very few ROH shows reach us in the Pacific Northwest.

• ML responded on 11 May 2015 at 11:00am

There is a Manon DVD with Tamara Rojo and Carlos Acosta available right now if you don't wish to wait, Marcia. Same production and of course, Acosta is still dancing Manon with the company (Rojo would be if she weren't directing English National Ballet right now, ha ha).

15. Marilyn weston responded on 10 May 2015 at 11:38pm Reply

Great news,just been watching her in giselle ,cant wait for swan lake and la fille on dvd,but loved all the performances at the opera house,nunez amazing as well

16. ML responded on 11 May 2015 at 10:58am Reply

Well done, Royal Ballet, ROH and all the technical and business staff involved in this decision! It's great to see that audiences and fans are listened to - a rare thing nowadays, ha ha. Looking forward to both the Matthew/Natalia Swan Lake as well as the Steven/Natalia Fille DVDs now!

17. Jakegee responded on 11 May 2015 at 11:56am Reply

It seems to have become fashionable to clamour for new DVD productions from the live cinema relays, even when there is already a Royal Ballet performance currently available, albeit with a different cast. I have preordered the forthcoming "Swan Lake" and I will certainly also purchase this "La Fille Mal Gardee" performance, although it can never replace the 2005 performance by Carlos Acosta & Marianela Nunez! I saw both their performances in April, and they still excel!! Vadim Muntagirov & Laura Morera were also wonderful to watch. In fact, I have to say that both Marianela and Laura made much better 'wayward daughters' than Natalia Osipova, whom I also saw in the ROH - I felt she was too tense at times and not fully enjoying 'living the role' of Lise. Steven was a wonderful Colas, as always!
    Now, may I add to the appeals for Opus Arte to also produce a DVD of last year's "Manon" with Marianela Nunez and Federico Bonelli?!
    Finally, Opus Arte, please don't withdraw pre-existing productions from your available catalogue - there is room for more in any ballet enthusiast's collection! They bring endless pleasure, watched over and over again!

18. Michaela responded on 11 May 2015 at 4:09pm Reply

Please release Manon on DVD from last years cinema relay!

19. John Douglas responded on 14 May 2015 at 11:52am Reply

Watching Osipova in anything is pure joy! Such expression and grace and sheer poetry in motion. Love it.

20. Harriet responded on 14 May 2015 at 3:07pm Reply

Personally I love having different interpretations available to watch, so I'm a massive fan of these DVD's being released. If only other companies did the same! It's great for those who aren't always able to travel to the ROH/other theatres to see live performances in person.

Also, seeing as the last Fille released by the ROH was in 2005 (unfortunately that is some time ago now, whether it feels like it or not), this release doesn't seem too soon. La Fille isn't one of those ballets which gets committed to DVD by multiple companies every few years, so another interpretation is welcome.

I'm also glad for these releases with Natalia Osipova!! So many of her performances were broadcast by the Bolshoi & yet never released, which was such a shame. She is a wonderful dancer.

I initially thought Osipova looked tense based on footage I saw online. I've since seen the full performance & have to say it was amazing. I've never laughed so much at a live screening. It's an extremely lovely ballet & I wouldn't hesitate to see it again. There are a lot of small details which make the ballet perfect, and all dancers (and Peregrine) were on form. I really feel like this role fits Osipova well, although perhaps more experience with Ashton choreography would have placated viewers with more viewing experience.

My only gripe were a few dodgy camera angles. Missing part of Alain's solo wasn't great, and there were other times I thought a different angle would have been better. Part of Natalia's solo (the one where Widow Simone plays the tambourine) was cut. In the 1st act when Widow Simone throws her cap we didn't see it float uselessly to the floor. Also Natalia's explanation as to why the wheat was everywhere wasn't seen (it exploded!). These are very small though, & I will wait to see if anything has been changed on the official release (I remember camera angles were changed on the Giselle release with Cojocaru).

21. Mandy Mansworth responded on 14 May 2015 at 5:51pm Reply

I am so very happy that there will be a DVD release - Natalia Osipova was again just stunning and I can't wait to watch it again. Thank you so much, ROH, for listening to your public and responding. I have pre-ordered my copy of Swan Lake and will be watching your site avidly for La Fille. My elderly mother is sadly housebound and she will so enjoy watching these marvellous performances.

22. Peter Varaksin responded on 17 May 2015 at 12:33am Reply

That's very good news for Russian balletomans. Thank you very much indeed! We are waiting for DVD of "MANON" with Natalia and something else as soon as possible.
    Thanks again and best regards!

23. J Pidgeon responded on 21 May 2015 at 8:22pm Reply

Harriet, do not worry. Am I wrong to think all the footage will be looked at again an re-cut if required to produce the best possible edition...Poss over more than one night ???

24. Linda McTaggart responded on 15 June 2015 at 12:41am Reply

Wonderful news!, as I was working and missed the cinema showing. I do wish the Opera performances could be released especially La Boheme and Flying Dutchman. I have purchased Swan Lake Blu-Ray and look forward to La Fille being released.

25. Fay Rudd responded on 23 June 2015 at 9:07am Reply

Can I pre order this?

26. Lucy Jones responded on 25 June 2015 at 7:03pm Reply

I would like to pre order this too please

27. Doug Ferree responded on 25 June 2015 at 8:07pm Reply

We saw La Fille mal gardee back in May at our local theater and loved it. WHEN IS "IN DUE COURSE" GOING TO BE? We find it hard waiting to buy the DVD's to share with our family. Doug Ferree

28. Mandy Mansworth responded on 21 July 2015 at 2:30pm Reply

Still no news on when we can pre-order yet????

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 21 July 2015 at 2:41pm

Hi Mandy,

A release date for this DVD has not yet been confirmed (and therefore pre-order details are not yet available)

Thanks

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

29. liz responded on 27 July 2015 at 9:21pm Reply

will you send us pre-order details or do we need to keep checking your shop site? we have never seen such a marvellous performance of any ballet;

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 28 July 2015 at 11:36am

Hi Liz,

We'll post about it on these pages and via social media (Follow us on Facebook or Twitter) when a release is confirmed.

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

30. Fay Rudd responded on 2 August 2015 at 10:27am Reply

Can you send me preorder details for la fille mal gardee starring Steven McRae and Natalie Osipova. Thank you.

31. Wendy Clarkson responded on 13 August 2015 at 12:50pm Reply

We have been going to the live cinema productions for over 3 years now and we absolutely love it!! So glad these ballets will be released on DVD. Just wish more of them would be, I know that the majority of us cinema goers would purchase them. To agree with the other comments, please could you release last season's performance of "Manon"! It was breathtakingly emotional. Kind regards, Wendy.

32. Morton Paley responded on 14 August 2015 at 10:38pm Reply

I too would pre-order this if I could.

33. marilyn weston responded on 19 August 2015 at 11:22am Reply

any idea when la fille dvd will be released,with ospisova
    marilyn

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 19 August 2015 at 4:53pm

Hi Marilyn,

A release date has not yet been confirmed.

Thanks,