Guide to the Royal Opera House Winter Season 2012/13

Helpful links and information on booking for forthcoming performances.

By Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer)

3 September 2012 at 6.02pm | 16 Comments

On Wednesday 17 October 2012, booking for Winter Season productions at the Royal Opera House opens for the general public. Booking for Winter Advanced Packages, which includes a Winter Family Package, has been open since 10 October.

You can see details of all bookable productions for the Winter Season on our website as well as the winter seating plan and price guide.

The Royal Opera opens the Winter Season with Kasper Holten’s directorial debut Eugene Onegin. A production described by Kasper as a fresh reading of a classic opera, the titular role will be sung by Simon Keenlyside, who played the role of Macbeth in Covent Garden to critical acclaim in 2011. The season also features the hotly anticipated UK premiere of George Benjamin’s Written on Skin, for which director Katie Mitchell makes her Royal Opera main stage debut; Jonathan Kent’s much-loved production of the classic Tosca; and Daniele Abbado’s new production of Nabucco, which will feature Plácido Domingo in the title role.

Royal Ballet productions for the Winter Season include three mixed bills, ranging from a Russian-flavoured evening of  The Firebird, In the Night and Raymonda Act III, to a classic all-Ashton programme that includes the passionate Marguerite and Armand. New work comes from both Alexei Ratmansky, artist-in-residence at the American Ballet Theatre, and Christopher Wheeldon. These two works will be performed in a triple bill with George Balanchine’s Apollo.  The season also includes John Cranko’s masterful Onegin, Arthur Pita’s dance-theatre adaptation of Kafka’s novella The Metamorphosis, and performances from Cassa Pancho’s Ballet Black in the Linbury Studio Theatre.

1. Susy Canvin responded on 20 September 2012 at 2:27pm Reply

Just written long email on comments section on June article about first Friends Booking day as my experience yesterday was a great disappointment! Hope others were luckier. The usual 'technical difficulty' given as explaination.

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 21 September 2012 at 10:36am

Hi Susy,

We're really sorry you experienced technical difficulties booking yesterday. Thanks for your feedback. Please be assured we are working hard to ensure that the issues experienced don't occur again in future.

Apologies again,

Chris
      Social Media Manager

2. There seems to be some sort of error on the website. Opera-wise, it's only showing for sale really kitsch material, plus Onegin and some incomprehensible dissonance-fest about Kafka. Do you think if I change my browser settings some non-rubbish ROH lineup will materialise, preferably containing much baroque/early, and pre-postmodern Mitteleuropaisch material?

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 17 October 2012 at 5:12pm

Sorry to hear you're not excited by the Season line-up. Perhaps future Seasons might have something more to your taste. Take a look at http://www.roh.org.uk/events - there might be something of interest!

Chris
      Social Media Manager

• James Markham responded on 17 October 2012 at 5:55pm

I too would love to see more Early & Baroque operas included. On the plus-side, the on-line booking worked much more smoothly for me this morning than it did last period.

3. Viljoen responded on 26 November 2012 at 3:11pm Reply

Very user unfriendly web page. Try to hard to be different. Looking only for dates of performances and artists!!,!,

4. Margaret responded on 4 December 2012 at 1:18am Reply

"Very user unfriendly web page."

I agree, Viljoen - it was so much more straightfoward to book previously (IMO of course) Another case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"..... grrr.

5. When is Domingo coming?

6. Ariel Hessing responded on 3 January 2013 at 9:43pm Reply

Seeing Puccini's La Boheme at the Royal Opera House at Coven Garden, London, UK February 2013. Puccini Operas are my favorite. Looking forward to this performance. The Royal Opera House is to a certainty, among my favorite in the world.

7. JOHN HART responded on 17 January 2013 at 4:29pm Reply

I wonder what happened on the opening of general booking? It took me one hour to get my 'choices'

Under the new system there is no queue -just the survival of the quickest!

On 2 occasions i had to begin again as the check out was not showing my seats-first time only 2 seats -second time 6. I was hoping for 4! I got timed out once and almost gave up. It was better when one queued in the Market in the snow from the early hours
    Good Wishes

John

8. myles Sullivan responded on 19 January 2013 at 11:27am Reply

Please could you e mail me dates of tea dances and how to book . Thanks , M. Sullivan

9. Anthea Dalton responded on 24 January 2013 at 9:31am Reply

I'm just reading all the negative comments from September at the same time as I'm thinking no-one is keeping this web site up to date. The trouble with web sites is that unless they are very current they are useless and give a negative impression of a company which should be showing excellence. It looks as though no-one has up-dated the web site this year and we are now nearly at the end of Jan.2013.
    Sorry to moan.

10. John Russell responded on 31 January 2013 at 7:30pm Reply

I also reached this straight from the front page - does everyone have more important things to do than keeping your current bookings and productions up to date?

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 1 February 2013 at 2:49pm

Hi John,

Although these details are for the Winter Season, a number of the productions are still to arrive on stage. I hope that answers your comment.

Thanks,