Farewell to The Royal Ballet's Mara Galeazzi

Send us your best wishes for Mara and make a gift to our Pointe Shoes Appeal for the chance to win a pair of the shoes worn in her final performance.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

12 June 2013 at 4.29pm | 7 Comments

Royal Ballet Principal Mara Galeazzi will give her final Covent Garden performance in Mayerling on Thursday 13 June, and you can watch it live on BP Big Screens at towns and cities around the UK.

The Italian dancer joined The Royal Ballet in 1992 and became a Principal in 2003. In her 21 years with The Royal Ballet she’s danced major roles in a huge number of classical and contemporary works: appearing in The Firebird, Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet as well as creating roles in Wayne McGregor’s Infra and Cathy Marston’s Tidelines. She also performed as a guest artist with Stuttgart Ballet,  Teatro dell’Opera in Rome and Scottish Ballet.

Off-stage, Mara founded Dancing For The Children, a charity that raises funds for grass roots charities in Africa.

Mara’s farewell as Mary Vetsera in Mayerling completes something of a circle as it was the role she made her Royal Ballet debut. To celebrate this – and to flag our Pointe Shoe Appeal alongside her Mayerling partner Edward Watson – Mara is offering a pair of her performance-worn pointe shoes as a prize in a competition open to those that make a donation of any size to the appeal:

Watch Mara demonstrating how ballet dancers prepare their shoes for performance

We all wish Mara well for the future.

If you’ve got any comments and wishes you’d like to send Mara for her final performance, send them via the comment form below.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

12 June 2013 at 4.29pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged BP Big Screens, Dancer, Mara Galeazzi, Mary Vetsera, Pointe Shoe Appeal, retirement

1. Marc responded on 13 June 2013 at 12:54am Reply

We will miss you Mara! Thank you. All the best for you and your family. ;)

2. richard responded on 13 June 2013 at 1:17am Reply

Mara has always been one of my very favourite dancers and like a lot of others I will her terribly.To many wonderful memories to list here but Mara's Tatiana and Mary Vetsera are two I will treasure.All the very best to you Mara its been a joy and a privilege to watch you.

3. Cathie responded on 13 June 2013 at 11:15am Reply

Last night ballet was wonderful, I enjoyed every second. Thank you. All the best for tonight and the future.

4. Hiromi M responded on 13 June 2013 at 12:30pm Reply

Mara, I loved every role you danced, especially MacMillan roles(including plotless beautiful Concerto 2nd Movement !). I never forgot your wonderful dance, smile, and attitude to art of ballet. I was very lucky to see your Mary Vetzera in London for last chance on 1st June. I send you very best wishes from rainy Tokyo !!

5. Jonathan responded on 13 June 2013 at 5:41pm Reply

Congratulations Mara on your sterling performances with the Royal Ballet. I was lucky enough to see you perform at a charity event several years ago and marvelled at your generosity in giving up your time in spite of a gruelling work schedule. You will be missed. Brava and all the very best for tonight and the future.

6. Gianmarco responded on 13 June 2013 at 6:40pm Reply

Dear Mara! Thanks again for all the emotions you gave us in all these years. You have been a wonderful artist. I wish you the very best for your future! All this I was lucky to tell you personally already after your and Ed's most successful performance on 1st June...take care!

7. Jack de Gruiter responded on 14 June 2013 at 11:50am Reply

Dear Mara,
    Thank you for the hours of entertainment you provided us with in the interpretation of the roles you I have seen you dance over all the years.

I wish you all the very best for the future in whatever you arw going to do!

Jack de Gruiter