Fanfare Competition - Winners Announced!
Ten young people will have the chance to showcase their composing skills in front of thousands.
12 April 2012 at 9.01am | 4 Comments
After a shortlisting and selection process involving staff and artists from the Royal Opera House, we are pleased to announce that the following 10 fanfares were chosen as winners of this year’s Fanfare competition:
Key Stage 3 (age 11-14)
- Kethaki Prathivadi – North Halifax Grammar School, Halifax
- Junaid Rehman – High Storrs School, Sheffield
- Joseph Beesley – Eltham College, London
- Molly Conrad - New Hall School, Essex
- Francis Wignall – Oakham School, Rutland
- Dafydd Davies - Ysgol Bryngwyn School, Carmarthenshire
- Diego Perez Alvarez - St Mary’s College, Hull
Key Stage 4 (age 15-16)
- Bertie Baigent - The Cherwell School, Oxford
- William Gough – The Purcell School, Hertfordshire
- Alex Woolf - Hills Road Sixth Form College, Cambridge
Listen to the winners
The annual Fanfare competition is open to 11-16 year olds and gives young people the opportunity to create a short piece of music to alert to alert thousands of people to return to their seats during the intervals during performances of opera and ballet.
As with previous years, the standard of entries was extremely high and we’d like to thank everyone who composed entries. The short listing panel and judges were particularly impressed by the final 10 Fanfares for their attention-grabbing qualities and creative flair.
We’re excited to meet all the winners in the coming weeks when they visit the Royal Opera House to work with composer Duncan Chapman and members of the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House to develop and scale up their original ideas for a full orchestra.
Their final fanfares will be recorded by the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House under the baton of Antonio Pappano. They can then be heard before and during all performances at the Royal Opera House for a year from Saturday 30 June when the winners will attend a special reception with their teachers and family.
More information can be found on our Fanfare page.