Eugene Onegin to be broadcast on BBC Four on 12 April

Kasper Holten's production of Tchaikovsky's opera shown on television.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

11 April 2013 at 5.20pm | 10 Comments

Kasper Holten's Royal Opera production of Eugene Onegin is to be broadcast on BBC Four tomorrow (Friday 12 April 2013) at 7.30pm.

The production, which had its premiere in February 2013, was screened in cinemas during its original run and stars Simon Keenlyside and Krassimira Stoyanova. Robin Ticciati conducts.

Read our essential guide to Eugene Onegin

Watch Eugene Onegin in rehearsal:

Watch our YouTube playlist of rehearsals, insights and behind the scenes glimpses

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

11 April 2013 at 5.20pm

This article has been categorised Opera, Screening and tagged broadcast, Production, Television, TV

1. Daniele JACQUES responded on 12 April 2013 at 1:27pm Reply

Hello,

Is it possible to see the broadcast of Eugen Onegin in France ?
    Best regards
    Daniele

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 12 April 2013 at 6:52pm

Hi,

Unfortunately, the broadcast is only available in the UK. It's worth keeping an eye out for the DVD soon, though...

Thanks,

Chris
      Digital Content Producer

2. Paul Eaton responded on 12 April 2013 at 8:34pm Reply

It's great news that the BBC is broadcasting this in prime time but, as I watch, I can't help but think what a missed opportunity for them - i.e. not showing it in High Definition and Surround Sound.

I wonder when the BBC will be permitted/decide to have a BBC 4HD channel, so that Arts and Culture enthusiasts can get the same visual and audio quality as soap opera and cookery/gardening show enthusiasts already enjoy on BBC 1HD and BBC 2HD.

• Sarah Willoughby responded on 12 May 2013 at 3:41am

When will the DVD be out? I can't wait to see it again. I watched the production on BBC Four and then again on BBC iPlayer and loved it! This is was my first time watching an opera and I am now taking the plunge and exploring further in to the art form and learning more about it. Thank you so very much for an incredible new experience and a new found enthusiasm for opera.

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 25 May 2013 at 10:35am

Hi Sarah

It will be released in the autumn but we don't have a definite date yet.

Best

Ellen

• Nick responded on 22 May 2013 at 6:54pm

Chris,

I watched this production at the cinema and subsequently online, it's excellent. A friend managed to miss it! Do I understand a DVD is coming soon? If so is there anyway of getting an email alert or similar when it's available for sale?

Thanks Nick

Alternatively are there any plans to stream it again?

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 23 May 2013 at 10:17am

Hi Nick,

Yes, a DVD is on the way - it'll be out in October and available via our shop. We'll post when it's released.

Thanks,

Chris
      Digital Content Producer

3. wendy millar responded on 12 April 2013 at 9:53pm Reply

In the duel scene In your production of Onegin,I noticed Lensky held his pistol in his right hand. According to Pushkin, Lensky was left handed. A small point I know.

4. Ursula responded on 13 April 2013 at 9:36am Reply

Hello, just read the question of Daniele from France. Living in Switzerland, I was able to watch Eugen Onegin last night on BBC4, thanks to so called 'Fun Box' of Swiss Cable provider which offers about 10 english TV programmes at moderate costs.
    I enjoyed the opera very much.
    Kind regards, Ursula

5. Caroline P responded on 26 April 2013 at 2:19pm Reply

Hi, Will the DVD be a BBC or ROH production (just so I know where to keep and eye on to purchase it) also, do you have any idea of release date - this year or next etc? Thanks