Ermonela Jaho replaced by Bernarda Bobro for La traviata on Wednesday 25 January

Slovenian soprano to sing role of Violetta

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

24 January 2012 at 10.01am | 6 Comments

Bernarda Bobro will replace the unwell Ermonela Jaho for the performance of La traviata on Wednesday 25 January.

The Slovenian soprano made her house debut earlier this week as Violetta in a role that has developed a reputation for unearthing operatic stars. In 1994 Angela Gheorghiu stepped into the role to huge acclaim, followed in 2008 by Ermonela Jaho and most recently Ailyn Pérez on the Royal Opera’s 2010 tour of Japan.

Bernarda arrives at The Royal Opera House following a string of performances in Oper Stuttgart’s La traviata as well as Vienna Volksopera‘s Die Fledermaus and Gianni Schicchi, Opera North‘s Roméo et Juliette, and The Cunning Little Vixen at Bregenz Festival. The soprano made her British debut in Laurent Pelly’s Hänsel und Gretel at Glyndebourne in 2008.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

24 January 2012 at 10.01am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged Angela Gheorghiu, announcement, Bernarda Bobro, cast change, Ermonela Jaho, La traviata

1. Good luck and I look forward to her debut tonight.

2. David Patterson responded on 23 January 2012 at 4:06pm Reply

I wish her well. I am going tonight so I am looking forward to this and with Vittorio Grigolo also singing my excitement is doubled.

3. Phillip Arnold responded on 24 January 2012 at 5:01pm Reply

Saw her last night - very pretty and a terrific actress. Not a large voice, but she had all the notes, and rewarded us with the high note at the end of Sempre Libera (unlike Gheorghiu and Fleming!).

4. Phillip Arnold responded on 24 January 2012 at 5:03pm Reply

PS - and Grigolo was simply sensational! Close your eyes and it's Pavarotti, open them and it's a Hollywood hunk!

5. jung woo responded on 26 January 2012 at 3:32am Reply

saw her performance tonite...tbh I'm absolutely disappointed i read her review and expected same as jaho 4 years ago but it was just my dream. act1 and 2 was poor for me i think still violetta is too big for her. I'm not so sure 23th her performance but tonite she hasn't got any confidence in her voice it was weak and struggle to hit the high note. act2 when she sung amami alfredo it was disaster..her breath control wasn't right and it didn't move me. only enjoyed sempre libera.

6. Miko Yamada responded on 26 January 2012 at 12:02pm Reply

Last night her voice was so insecure. It could be more dramatic at right moment but it didn't happen (might be in final act). Verdi and Puccini is still big for her vocal palette in my opinion. Love to see her in Gounod though.

Connect with Facebook