Don’t miss your chance to be an Olympic torchbearer at the ROH

Visitors can pose for a free photo with London 2012 Olympic torch.

By Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer)

31 July 2012 at 5.13pm | 29 Comments

Visitors to The Olympic Journey: The Story of the Games will have the once-in-a-lifetime chance to hold the iconic Olympic torch and take home a snapshot of their Olympic moment.

The Olympic Journey: The Story of the Games is a free exhibition that features Olympic artifacts and archive material from across the ages. The displays include all of the Summer Olympic torches since 1936, including the London 2012 torch.

The 2012 torch was designed by Londoners Edward Barber and Jay Osgerby. It is perforated by 8,000 circles – to represent each individual torchbearer – and is triangular in shape – to symbolise the three Olympic values of respect, excellence and friendship.

Over the course of 70 days, the torch has travelled 8,000 miles around the UK. Carried by 8,000 inspirational people, ranging from bass-baritone Bryn Terfel to champion jockey Frankie Dettori, it passed through over 1,000 different cities, towns and villages. On Friday, it arrived in dramatic style at the Olympic Stadium to officially open the Games.

The torch has been an integral element of the Olympic Games since their inception in Ancient Greece. Historically, a sacred flame burned continually on the altar of the goddess Hera for the duration of the games. Nowadays, prior to the Games, the torch is lit in Olympia, Greece. It then tours the host country to spread the message of peace, unity and friendship. The last torchbearer – this year Sir Steve Redgrave, who lit seven torches carried by a selection of promising young athletes – lights the cauldron at the Opening Ceremony to mark the official start of the Games.

The exhibition, organized in conjunction with BP and The Olympic Museum in Lausanne, includes archive film, photography and historical artifacts to tell the story of the Games and of the inspirational sporting heroes who have taken part.

Find out more about just what went into organising the exhibition.

For the duration of the exhibition, the Royal Opera House Shop will be an officially London 2012 Olympic outlet, offering a range of official merchandise. The exhibition is open every day from 10am to 7pm and will run until 12 August. Tickets are not required and entry is free. See our Olympic pages for further details. No booking is necessary to have your photograph taken with the Olympic Torch, simply join the queue for The Olympic Journey.

1. Denis Martin responded on 5 August 2012 at 9:09pm Reply

We visited the exhibition on Saturday and really enjoyed it. I have been trying to see our torch photo using the url given on the card. It leads to a warning about the site being unsafe and compromised (I am using Firefox) and I cannot get to see the photos. Can you advise whether the URL on the card is compromised or is having problems. The url on the card is
    This address seems to attempt to download some suspicious sounding files and I have rejected them.
    Sorry if this is the wrong address to post my concern on, but the other one doesn't seem to work - is it me, you, or some malicious third party?

Denis Martin

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 6 August 2012 at 10:27am

Hi Denis

We'll pursue this with the organisers. Thanks for letting us know about the problem.

Best

Ellen

• Christine responded on 6 August 2012 at 9:33pm

Hi there,

Hope you don't mind me asking but I cant tell whether you simply superimpose your photo on the above image or if we get to hold the actual torch replica

can you kindly confirm?

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 7 August 2012 at 9:13am

Hi Christine

Visitors to The Olympic Journey pose with the actual London 2012 torch.

Best

Ellen

2. Robeert Croser responded on 7 August 2012 at 7:06pm Reply

Being a single it's always a delight that I would appear in a photo withoout having to appeal to a fellow tourist use my camera. Eagerly waiting see myself with torch...but where and how do i type in MY own number written on card for me ? The messages I am reading make me very sad as the experience of free exhibiton was great...and the bonus re photo was going to be a highlight. Am feeling sadly sceptical, what has gone wrong, or am i too early for photos to have been posted somewhere ?

3. Catherine responded on 8 August 2012 at 2:34pm Reply

My fried and I wnet to the exhibit on monday evening (which we were very impressed by) and got our photos taken with the torch. Disappointingly, the reference number they have given us to look at the picture is incorrect and we can only download a picture of a child holding the torch. Can you give us the correct reference number please?

• Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer) responded on 10 August 2012 at 10:52am

Hi there,

I'm glad you enjoyed the exhibition. Sorry to hear that you were given the wrong reference number. If you contact the suport services on support@theolympicjourneytorchphoto.com, and provide details of what day you visited and roughly what time, they should be able to help you locate the correct photo.

Best,

Lottie

4. Richard meacher responded on 10 August 2012 at 12:09am Reply

I was told to wait 24 hours, I have waited for 48 hours, without any luck, I continue to check 3 -4 times a day, any suggestions for what I do now?

• Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer) responded on 10 August 2012 at 10:39am

Hi Richard,

If you can't find your photo, the best bet is to contact the support services on support@theolympicjourneytorchphoto.com. If you provide them with details about what day you visited and what time, they should be able to help locate your photo.

All the best,

Lottie

5. Aaron Walklate responded on 13 August 2012 at 6:29pm Reply

Enjoyed the experience, however, I had my photo taken with my fiancée and was given a unique reference code (9159) but when entering the code, another persons photo comes up. We were really looking forward to seeing our photo as we had queued up for a long time.. Is there another way we can access it?

• Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer) responded on 14 August 2012 at 10:27am

Hi Aaron,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the exhibition. Sorry to hear you can't find your photo. There has been some trouble with the website and we have been in touch with them to try and clear this up. If you contact the support services (support@theolympicjourneytorchphoto.com), and provide them with details about what day you visited and what time, they will be able to help locate your photo.

All the best,

Lottie

6. Lynda Sixx responded on 13 August 2012 at 7:27pm Reply

I visited the exhibition on the 6th or 7th of August. I have tried to down load my photo several times but keep being told I am too soon. Can you advise.

• Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer) responded on 14 August 2012 at 10:26am

Hi Lynda,

Several people have reported that it has taken longer than 24 hours for their photo to be uploaded - we have been in touch with the website to try and clear this up. If you contact the support services (support@theolympicjourneytorchphoto.com), and provide them with details about what day you visited and what time, they will be able to help you locate your photo.

All the best,

Lottie

7. I am disappointed that the reference number you gave me to look at the picture is incorrect .I am a black male and I can only download a picture of an Asia female holding the torch. I have written to your support e-mail and no one is getting back to me. Can you give me the correct reference number please?

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 14 August 2012 at 3:03pm

Hi Gavin,

Sorry to hear about this. We've passed this on to our tech team and asked them to reply to you as soon as possible.

Apologies again.

Chris
      Social Media Manager

8. I've emailed support about my missing photo, even sent a photo of how I look that day. I haven't received any reply even an acknowledgement they received my email. My companions that day already got their photos and without any hassle.

FS

• Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer) responded on 16 August 2012 at 2:11pm

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you've still not located your photo. We have been in touch with the website today, and they have assured us that the photos are still available on the website and that they are still answering enquiries. If you e-mail the support service again, one of the team will get back to you as soon as possible to locate your photo.

All the best,

Lottie

9. Ethel Mann responded on 16 August 2012 at 12:15am Reply

Last Saturday, we have enjoyed the Olympic journey very much as a family and appreciate the chance to have our photos taken with the olympic torch.

When I tried to view our photos http://www.theolympicjourneytorchphoto.com, the web page just wouldn't load. We were told to wait 48 hours, I checked it everyday since the 14th August, same thing happen each time.

• Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer) responded on 16 August 2012 at 12:52pm

Hi Ethel,

Pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Olympic Journey. Sorry to hear that you have not located your photo yet. Several people have reported problems locating their photo, and we have been in touch with the olympic torch website to try and resolve these issues.If you contact the support services at support@theolympicjourneytorchphoto.com, with full details of when you visited, they should be able to help you locate your photo.

Best wishes,

Lottie

10. J Walker responded on 17 August 2012 at 12:57pm Reply

I went to the Exhibition some weeks ago and still my photo can not be viewed. Every time I check I have to put all my personal details in, the site is very long winded

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 17 August 2012 at 2:28pm

Hi,

Sorry to hear about this. We've passed it onto our Tech team who should be back in touch directly.

Thanks,

Chris
      Social Media Manager

11. Keith Varnes responded on 20 August 2012 at 9:44pm Reply

I visited the Olympic Journey exhibition on the 12th August and had my photo taken with the torch.I have been on the website every day since but the photo hasn't been processed; when will this be available?

K.V

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 21 August 2012 at 9:37am

Hi Keith,

We've passed your message over to our tech support team who'll be in touch with details of this.

Apologies for the delay,

Chris
      Social Media Manager

12. Manj Kaur responded on 2 October 2012 at 3:00pm Reply

I really enjoyed the exhibition and seeing all the torches over the years, and reading and watching the videos about the athletes. Unfortunately I too have had problems accessing the complimentary photo download, and have not had replies to the emails sent to the support team. Is it possible to still get help in downloading a copy? Many thanks to all who made the exhibition possible.

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 2 October 2012 at 3:05pm

Hi Manj,

Sorry to hear you had problems accessing the download. We've chased this up with the team dealing with this who should get back to you ASAP.

Apologies again,

Chris
      Social Media Manager

13. Manj Kaur responded on 5 October 2012 at 5:23pm Reply

Hi Chris, just to say thanks to you and Zui from the photography team, as I got my pic.
    Manj

14. Stephanie responded on 14 March 2013 at 4:02am Reply

I had problems retrieving my picture a couple months back but forgot to send a follow up email until now. Can I still email support to claim my picture?

• Lottie Butler (Assistant Content Producer) responded on 14 March 2013 at 9:40am

Hi Stephanie,

I've been in touch with photography company to enquire whether you can still retrieve photos. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back,

All the best,