David Mellor Design creates bespoke supper trays for the ROH

Royal Opera House Restaurants showcases the best of British design and creativity with new dining option.

By Albie Ray (Head of Hospitality, Royal Opera House Restaurants)

21 October 2013 at 6.07pm | 5 Comments

Update 13 May: Suppers Trays are now served at high tables and seated tables.

Royal Opera House Restaurants has commissioned leading British design house David Mellor Design to create bespoke supper trays for a new communal dining option in the Paul Hamlyn Hall.

Convenient and informal, the supper trays are an exciting new way for guests to grab a bite in the bustling atmosphere of the Paul Hamlyn Hall Champagne Bar before a performance and during the interval.

View the Summer Supper Tray Menu.

The supper trays are designed to be enjoyed at communal standing tables. ‘We hope to serve those guests who want something substantial to eat in more relaxed style,’ says Mike Lucy of Royal Opera House Restaurants, ‘and David Mellor, a name forever associated with superb tableware, is the perfect design house to create this unique tray design.’

The supper trays are made of top-quality European oak for the solid wood frame, and will feature crockery from the David Mellor’s porcelain range. David Mellor Design produces a wide range of stylish cutlery, tabletop products and kitchenware. Founded by David Mellor CBE, a specialist in metalwork and the youngest-ever Royal Designer for Industry, the company has a wonderful heritage of craftsmanship.

‘The trays designed for us add further style and value to our Royal Opera House Restaurants experience and complements the food and drink we serve,’ continues Mike. ‘It is culinary British craft at its contemporary best!’

To make a reservation go to your Account.

By Albie Ray (Head of Hospitality, Royal Opera House Restaurants)

21 October 2013 at 6.07pm

This article has been categorised Off stage and tagged David Mellor, David Mellor Design, dining, dining options, dinner, food, menu, Paul Hamlyn Hall Champagne Bar, restaurants and bars, supper trays

1. Maria DiF responded on 21 October 2013 at 8:51pm Reply

I hope you do make the "communal" tables really communal. I have tried every single dining option at the ROH and last week at the Crush Room, I was precisely telling my husband that I would love to have communal tables where we would meet other people!
    So, half of my wish is true (for the dining option), the second half would be long tables a la Pain Quotidien where the ROH restaurant staff would randomly place the orders!!!

2. Anne responded on 22 October 2013 at 2:30pm Reply

I agree with Maria as I always welcome the opportunity to talk to other opera goers before the show. Sadly, I do wonder what proportion of the audience feel the same. Time and time again I seem couples in the Paul Hamlyn Hall going to great lengths to prevent anyone else sitting at the adjoining tables; often by sitting diagonally across a table for 4 or spreading out their bags and jackets.. It will also be frustrating for those who arrive early to see even more tables unused for an hour because they are reserved for a tray diner who comes in shortly before curtain up.
    Incidentally I noticed that at the Barbican, for their live screenings they had opted to supply a choice of bento boxes in the interval. Light and easy to carry this seemed a smart and modern way to address the same need.

3. I agree with all the previous comments. I hate the scramble to get somewhere to stand or sit before a performance . Sometimes theROH forgets those of us who have already made a long journey from the provinces to get to a performance ans a seat with a snack and a drink such as suggested would be so welcome. These trays all sound as thought they will take up even more room!

4. Cathy responded on 5 July 2014 at 10:15am Reply

Not wishing to sound unsociable but would just like to weigh in to say that I very much like my own space before the opera and love being able to sit at a quiet table in a corner of the Paul Hamlyn Hall Bar where I won't be disturbed and can read the programme, sip a glass of wine and watch the crowds mill past. Each to their own. :)

5. Carolyn Brown responded on 18 August 2014 at 8:31am Reply

I have to agree with the last comment, I really don't want to sit with other people. If I wanted to do that, I would go to Wagamama! There are other ways of talking to other people, I tend to start up conversations when I am sitting in my seat or maybe at the stage door. My sister used to go regularly in the 70s and she made friends there.