Darcey Bussell to present live cinema relay of The Nutcracker

The former Royal Ballet Principal gives audiences around the world a glimpse behind the scenes on 12 December.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

2 December 2013 at 11.58am | 13 Comments

Former Royal Ballet Principal and Strictly Come Dancing judge Darcey Bussell will give audiences around the world a glimpse behind the scenes as the live presenter of the cinema relay of The Royal Ballet’s Nutcracker on 12 December.

The cinema relay will see the performances relayed to over 1,100 cinemas in 29 countries as Darcey covers the build-up and backstage goings-on from Covent Garden. As with all Royal Opera House live cinema relays, the event will also feature interval films exploring the making of the ballet.

Darcey danced with The Royal Ballet from 1988 to 2007 and was made a Principal aged just 20 in 1989. She danced the role of the Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker on a number of occasions, as well as other iconic roles such as Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty, Odette/Odile in Swan Lake and Giselle in Giselle.

Tickets for The Nutcracker in cinemas are on sale now. Find your nearest cinema and sign up for our cinema newsletter.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

2 December 2013 at 11.58am

This article has been categorised Ballet, Screening and tagged cinema, Darcey Bussell, live, Strictly Come Dancing

1. Ana Julia Gonzalez responded on 3 December 2013 at 2:35pm Reply

It´s a shame that in my country will not see it.

2. Katrin Lutz responded on 4 December 2013 at 9:58pm Reply

Good evening!

I booked my tickets for the Nutcracker live in cinema on 12 December 2013. But my cinema has technical issues and could not send it. Will there be a possibility to see it this year in cinema again or do I have to wait until Christmas next year?
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

Kind regards

Katrin Lutz

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 5 December 2013 at 3:51pm

Hi Katrin,

It may be worth taking a look which other cinemas near you are screening The Nutcracker as (with the seasonal nature of the production) it's unlikely it'll be screened again in the coming few months.

You can find out which of the 1,978 cinemas screening the production is nearest to you at http://www.roh.org.uk/showings/the-nutcracker-2013

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

3. Kath responded on 9 December 2013 at 11:25pm Reply

Hi, we've booked to see this in our local cinema and are looking forward to it very much. I just wondered if there will be programs available at the cinema or can I get one sent. Kind regards.

4. Leslie France responded on 12 December 2013 at 3:03pm Reply

My wife and I are looking forward to the sceening of the Nutcracker at the Coliseum ABERDARE.
    I should point out that on your map the location of the Coliseum IS INCORRECT should be ABERDARE and not ABERFAN .

5. anne donohue responded on 12 December 2013 at 10:23pm Reply

I just came back from the cinema in France. The nutcracker ballet was absolutely beautiful, everything was perfect. It is worth seeing the ballet and spend a fairy evening.

6. Anita Hogwood responded on 12 December 2013 at 11:06pm Reply

My daughter has just been to see the Nutcracker at the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will there be a programme available to buy please? My daughter likes to keep programmes as souvenirs. Thank you.

7. jane combes responded on 12 December 2013 at 11:50pm Reply

The Nutcracker tonight was terrific. Really loved the sumptuous sets, costumes and oh, the exquisite dancing. Magical experience all round. Extra special was the camera work which followed the dancers so well, we were able to enjoy every step this time.
    Merry Christmas to all.

8. RHRAMSAY responded on 13 December 2013 at 12:22am Reply

Very poor filming. The dancing was superb, but the screen was darkened throughout. Very disappointing experience.

9. Brenda responded on 13 December 2013 at 1:14am Reply

Saw the Nutcracker tonight at Cineworld. Wonderful production,the sets,the music and the dancing were fabulous. My only regret was I didn't have my eight year old granddaughter with me. Is it possible to buy a DVD of this performance as it would make a great Xmas present?

10. Rachel James responded on 13 December 2013 at 4:04pm Reply

Me and my mum went to see the performance last night, we enjoyed very much however it appeared that the filming had the dancers feet missing for most of the performance which we found very odd as it was a ballet, we complained twice to the cinema staff only to be told at the end that it was not an issue their end but that the filming must have been like this?? Surely this would not have been the case??

11. marian responded on 24 December 2013 at 5:08pm Reply

Saw this on Christmas Eve at the Cinema in Braintree Essex. I had a perfect seat! loved the close ups of dancers faces, feet and spectacular costumes. Will attend more of these events.

Connect with Facebook