Watch: A young girl dances with The Royal Ballet after life-changing surgery

The Royal Ballet help Charlotte Bottger to realize her dream of being a ballerina.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

13 May 2016 at 1.09pm | 7 Comments

A young girl has been helped to realize her dream of being a ballerina, thanks to a surprise ballet lesson from members of The Royal Ballet.

Charlotte Bottger, who was born with cerebral palsy, was told she may never be able to walk properly. After travelling to America — a trip paid for by her father's charity fundraising efforts — she underwent life-changing surgery to help her stand unaided for the first time.

Following intensive physiotherapy, Charlotte and her parents spent the day at the Royal Opera House, with The Royal Ballet's David Pickering and Sander Blommaert.

Charlotte's story was featured on ITV's 'What Would Be Your Miracle?’, now available to watch on-demand via ITV Player.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

13 May 2016 at 1.09pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Ballet, Dance

1. marilyn weston responded on 13 May 2016 at 10:07pm Reply

absolutly wonderful
    loved it
    what a pretty ballerina

2. Angela Hurlstone responded on 15 May 2016 at 11:16am Reply

How wonderful, when I heard Charlotte say I'm a ballerina, that was it, I was in floods of tears. Well done Charlotte!

• Bonnie Rosenblum responded on 25 May 2016 at 2:41am

When she said "I'm a ballerina" I burst into tears too.
      I'm still thinking about Charlotte. I can't stop thinking about her, the little ballerina.

3. Victoria Foster responded on 19 May 2016 at 9:44pm Reply

That beautiful smile says it all. Fantastic!

4. Deborah napp responded on 22 May 2016 at 12:59am Reply

That was beautiful so happy for her. I have a granddaughter with cp and is in a wheelchair. She would so love to walk or stand. We had the rod put down her back but it's only been a set back. Could you please tell me what kind of surgery she had. The look on your daughters face is priceless. I would love to see my granddaughters face light up like that. You are blessed. ❤️

5. ANNETTE AKINS responded on 18 July 2016 at 12:48am Reply

Love this story, I HAVE A 11 YEAR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER, MISS CHARITY LEWIS, WHO IS IN NEED OF SURGERY TO HELP HER STAND AND WALK ALSO, I WOULD DO ANYTHING TO JUST TO SEE HER STAND AND WALK, IT BREAKS MY HEART WHEN I SEE HER SITTING AND WATCHING THE OTHER KIDS RUN AND PLAY, AND TOO SEE THE TEARS RUNNING DOWN HER FACE! WHERE AND WHAT KIND OF SURGERY DID YOUR BABY GIRL HAVE?? PLEASE LET ME KNOW, PS BE BLESSED!