Catch The Royal Opera's Tosca live in cinema near you on 7 February 2018

Puccini's classic opera will be relayed live to cinemas around the world.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

3 February 2018 at 10.03am | 17 Comments

The Royal Opera's production of Puccini's classic Tosca will be relayed live to cinemas around the world on 7 February 2018.

The opera remains one of the most performed works in the repertory today – and with its gripping plot and glorious music, it’s easy to see why.

To enhance your viewing experience, access our Tosca Digital Programme for free using the promo code FREETOSCA, and enjoy a range of specially selected films, articles, pictures and features to bring you closer to the production.

The Story

Set in Rome in 1800, Tosca tells the story of personal tragedy against the backdrop of political instability.

When the impulsive painter Mario Cavaradossi agrees to help a fugitive escape, he sets in motion a chain of events that will lead to disaster for him, his lover Floria Tosca and the sadistic Scarpia, Chief of Police in Rome.

The Music

Puccini's score contains some of the composer's best loved arias, including Tosca's heart-wrenching 'Vissi d'arte' and Cavaradossi's lamenting 'E lucevan le stelle'.

The meticulously-researched score also evokes all the grandeur and drama of early 19th century Rome, from distant cannon fire during the Act I Te Deum to tolling church bells and the sounds of a firing squad. Such as Puccini's attention to detail, that he went to extra lengths when composing Tosca; camping out on a Roman rooftop to discover how it felt to hear the morning bells as dawn broke over the seven hills, learning the exact pitch of St Peter's Bell and writing a shepherd boy's song in the city's specific dialect.

The Cast

The live cinema relay will see Canadian soprano Adrianne Pieczonka sing the title role alongside Maltese tenor Joseph Calleja as Cavaradossi. The role of Scarpia – one of all opera's most memorable villains – will be sung by Canadian bass-baritone Gerald Finley. Dan Ettinger will conduct.

The Production

Jonathan Kent's classically handsome production is supremely detailed, with lavish sets including a candle-lit Roman Church, a suite in the Palazzo Farnese and the ramparts of Castel Sant'Angelo.

Each scene is dominated by impressive scenery, including a massive statue of St Michael in Act II, and a vast carved wing in the night sky of Act III, as if an angel is watching over the dramatic finale.

Review and share your thoughts

We'd love to hear your thoughts via social media before the performance, during the intervals and afterwards. Share your comments with #ROHtosca and, as ever, we'll share a selection during the intervals.

Tosca will be broadcast in cinemas across the world on Wednesday 7 February. Find a cinema near you and sign up to our mailing list.

The performance is staged with generous philanthropic support from Mrs Aline Foriel-Destezet, Aud Jebsen, Rena and Sandro Lavery, The Mikheev Charitable Trust and Mr and Mrs Christopher W.T. Johnston.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

3 February 2018 at 10.03am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged cinema, Production, Tosca

1. Birgit Seufert responded on 5 February 2018 at 9:56pm Reply

Is it only possible to watch it at a cinema or could I also watch it as livestream online? That would be great! Thank you.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 6 February 2018 at 10:16am

Hi Birgit,

Thanks for your comment. This performance will only be available in cinemas.

Hope you can join us

Chris

2. Christopher Burton responded on 6 February 2018 at 1:39pm Reply

I won’t be able to watch it in the cinema tomorrow, but I feel I’ve already done one better than that. My girlfriend and I were visiting London two weeks ago from Toronto, Canada, and were at the January 24 performance. We even had a chance to get together with Gerald Finley the following day. He and I have known each other since high school. The two events were highlights of our unforgettable trip. Many thanks to everyone involved!

3. I read somewhere that there was also an Encore screening on Sunday afternoon but my local cinemas don't know of it . . . where can I see it on Sunday please?

4. Louis responded on 6 February 2018 at 10:37pm Reply

Is this being shown live tomorrow in any USA theaters?

5. Peter Turvey responded on 7 February 2018 at 11:36am Reply

These live screenings are the very devil to find information on, very poorly marketed. I was one of an audience of five at my last visit. What's needed is a well-publicised central website that lists all screenings, including encores, by all companies.

I too thought there was a Tosca encore but I'm unable to track it down anywhere. Any ideas?

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 7 February 2018 at 3:35pm

Hi Peter,

You can find this information - and find your nearest cinema (or any participating venue) at http://www.roh.org.uk/cinemas.
      Encore screenings are also shown on these pages

Best wishes

Chris

6. Helen Tatlock responded on 7 February 2018 at 5:44pm Reply

Is joseph calleja definitely singing cavaradossi tonight? I have been waiting so long to hear and see him perform. I think he has an amazing voice.

7. Brendan Quinn responded on 7 February 2018 at 8:54pm Reply

Ah well it would have been nice to see, even though I saw it live on Saturday 3rd with the same cast at the ROH, unfortunately the satellite feed failed to come through at the cinema I was at tonight, Sligo in west of Ireland. I was looking forward to seeing it within a few days of the live performance to compare how it was, I hope this was a local and not a global problem.

• Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media)) responded on 7 February 2018 at 10:22pm

Hi Brendan, sorry to hear this. I can confirm our feed was broadcasting without problems from the ROH, so this may have been a local problem. We'll take it up with the cinema in question, apologies for the inconvenience.

Mel

8. Jan Boardman responded on 8 February 2018 at 9:55am Reply

Who was the commentator/interviewer last night at the royal opera house live cinema screenings ???

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 8 February 2018 at 10:38am

Hi Jan,

Last night's presenter was Clemency Burton-Hill.

Best wishes,

Chris

9. Valerie Furber responded on 8 February 2018 at 10:27am Reply

I went to the screening of Tosca at the Komedia,Brighton last evening with a last minute booking.The only seat available was in row B and I found the proximity of the screen unbearable -to the point that I had to leave after the first act.Why are these operas etc no longer screened at the Duke of York where there wouldn't have been such a problem?A much more suitable venue.

10. Christine Raggett responded on 8 February 2018 at 11:58am Reply

Very pleased to be able to see the live relay of Tosca last night having seen the NY Met relay a week or so ago.
    Last night’s relay was disappointing for me because yet again there was far too much close-up camera work. We all enjoy having the occasional close-up of our operatic stars but last night was so full of close-up work we were missing the overview far too often.
    What, for example, is the point of ‘E lucevan le stelle’ when mostly we were examining Joseph Calleja’s fillings? He could have been singing in the village hall rather than the battlements of the Castel sant’ Angelo with the starlit sky changing as the dawn approached.
    The camera direction of the (very welcome) relays is critical. Last night we were forced to watch a visually narrow version of Tosca which prevented an overview of everything happening on the stage, all of which contributes to the unfolding story.

11. Was at live performance on 18th Jan and encore at local cinema on the 11th Feb. New experience to be able to compare....encore was fantastic...camera work brought out the drama that did not come over that well for me in the Opera House despite being in very good seats. Granted, nothing can replace the experience of 'being there' but for me actual performance, drama and acoustic was better in the cinema !!!

12. Maggi Tomkins responded on 17 February 2018 at 10:11am Reply

How totally annoying and disrespectful to get tweets posted across the bottom of screen as cast took their bows. Especially annoying in the closer shots.
    Why can't you wait til later to do that?
    Having worked on the other side, part of production crew, this first time I attended a live in cinema. I didn't realise this happened as during my work only I only viewed a monitor without such graphics. I thought the object of 'lives' was to make the cinema audience member feel they are at a live performance which is certainly negated by seeing tweets which, I am sure, only showed the positives ones. The enormous two long packages during intervals also made me feel detached from the 'live' and shortens the cinema-goers actual interval considerably. Maybe it's now felt, cinema audiences want this. I wanted to feel like I was at a 'live' performance where you don't see tweets, Backstsge interviews etc. etc. Again, I re-iterate. I wanted to feel part of the 'live' -and I didn't. Very sad.