Catch The Royal Ballet's Swan Lake live in cinemas and on BP Big Screens on 12 June 2018

Liam Scarlett's new production with a score by Tchaikovsky will be broadcast live across the world.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

5 June 2018 at 11.00am | 42 Comments

The Royal Ballet's new Swan Lake will be broadcast live in cinemas across the world, and relayed to BP Big Screens in the UK, on 12 June 2018.

Liam Scarlett's production is the Company's first new staging in 30 years, and the broadcast promises to be a major event in the arts this summer.

The story

Prince Siegfried chances upon a flock of swans while out hunting. When one of the swans turns into a beautiful woman, Odette, he is enraptured. But she is under a spell that holds her captive, allowing her to regain her human form only at night.

The music

Tchaikovsky's score for Swan Lake is some of ballet's most recognizable music: ‘From that first note on the oboe you are immediately transported into this beautiful, tragic fairytale,’ explains choreographer Liam Scarlett.

The Royal Ballet's new production builds on this tradition: Scarlett has created an entirely new Act IV, based on the musical running order that was also used by Former Director of The Royal Ballet Frederick Ashton.

The production

Scarlett's production sees the dancers in the corps de ballet wearing tutus rather than long skirts. The production is another chance to experience the partnership between Liam Scarlett and highly-esteemed designer John Macfarlane, which has blossomed since their first collaboration on Asphodel Meadows in 2010. The two reunited in 2016 to create Frankenstein.

The cast

The live cinema relay is a showcase for the Company, who dazzle in full royal finery at the palace, and in delicate feathered tutus as flocks of swans. Marianela Nuñez dances the roles of swan princess Odette and black swan Odile; while Vadim Muntagirov dances the role of Prince Siegfried.

Review and win

We've rounded-up audience and press reviews from opening night and we'd love to hear from you before, during intervals and after the live cinema relay, so share your thoughts via Twitter and Instagram using #ROHswanlake.

If you're watching the performance via BP Big Screen in the UK, share your interval picnic pics with the same hashtag for a chance to win a collection of Royal Opera House DVD/Blu-Rays.

Swan Lake will be relayed live to cinemas around the world on 12 June 2018. Find your nearest cinema and sign up to our mailing list

The production is sponsored by Van Cleef & Arpels and is staged with Generous philanthropic support from The Monument Trust, Ricki Gail and Robert Conway, Mrs Aline Foriel-Destezet, Jette Parker, Celia Blakey, Sarah and Lloyd Dorfman, Doug and Ceri King, the Swan Lake Production Syndicate, The American Friends of Covent Garden and The Royal Opera House Endowment Fund.

By Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media))

5 June 2018 at 11.00am

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Ballet, by Liam Scarlett, cinema, Production, Swan Lake

1. Joe responded on 5 June 2018 at 11:31am Reply

I'm actually going to see Swan Lake live this week (first time in the actual Royal Opera House - excited!), but I would likely go to the cinema if not. I really enjoy ballet and opera and the cinema screenings are a pretty decent way of getting a fix outside of when the touring opera and ballet companies coming to the area - a lot of the loss of being there in the same room as the performers is made up with the impact of watching it on a big screen.

However, I am disappointed that there are no BP Screens near where I live (I'm in Manchester). It'd be really nice to see ballet and opera in the open, and to get friends who might not be interested in coughing up the money for a ticket to see some of the art forms. Are there any plans to expand the outdoor screenings, particularly in the North West/Manchester area?

• Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media)) responded on 5 June 2018 at 12:16pm

Hi Joe,

We are certainly open to expanding our sites and we have approached 22 venues in the north; unfortunately we haven't been able to secure any partnerships for the BP Big Screens this time around. It's very important to us to be able to share opera and ballet with as many people as possible!

Sorry to disappoint you this time around.

Mel

2. John responded on 5 June 2018 at 7:24pm Reply

To bad there are no cinema screenings in Poland. Would love to see this new production of Swan Lake. I would have to travel to Germany to catch the nearest live cinema relay; but I’m a ballet dancer myself and busy with rehearsals.
    I can only hope the performance will be released on dvd :)

3. Alan Sparrow responded on 7 June 2018 at 2:17am Reply

This promises to be one of the most moving, exquisite ballet productions and performances of Swan Lake EVER!
    Take plenty of Kleenex is my recommendation! I can't wait to see it at the Prado Cinema in Sitges, Catalonia! - This darkening world is in dire need of such Beauty, still surviving, thanks be to God, Liam Scarlett and to the ROH!!!

4. Ken Geddes responded on 7 June 2018 at 5:32pm Reply

I can find a whole list of cinemas but they do not seem to be screening Swan Lake.
    I believe Hebden Bridge and Lancaster might be the nearest to here. All I want to know for sure is that there is nothing in Vue cinemas in Accrington, Burnley, Blackburn, Preston etc.

5. Nishali Dassanayake responded on 7 June 2018 at 10:15pm Reply

Hello there,
    I thoroughly enjoyed the 3 operas shown at BP Big Screen Brighton, at the Marina Village last year. I’ve never been to a ballet before so I was excited about watching Swan Lake, but Brighton doesn’t seem to be listed for that. Please may you confirm if this is correct? The only ROH production listed for Brighton is Don Giovanni. I’m not too concerned about La Bohème as I’m off to see it at ROH in July.

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 12 June 2018 at 1:04pm

Hi Nishali,

We're afraid Swan Lake won't be relayed to our Brighton BP Big Screen. It will however be in local cinemas.

Best wishes,

Chris

6. Stevie responded on 7 June 2018 at 11:15pm Reply

You haven't disappointed anyone Mel. In fact the Royal Ballet do extremely well in sharing these productions around the world, taking the Lions share of Arts promotions. I will be watching at the underground giant IMAX screen at Rheged and really looking forward.

7. April responded on 8 June 2018 at 4:10pm Reply

Nothing at all in New York City, home to balletomanes in spades? :(

8. Stevie responded on 9 June 2018 at 6:12pm Reply

April, there are no less than 8 venues listed for showing Swan Lake in the New York area and some recorded showings. Click on the Venues link on Royal Ballet website, select USA and you will find them listed.

9. Millie responded on 9 June 2018 at 6:59pm Reply

Are there going to be any showings in N.Ireland

10. Angeline responded on 10 June 2018 at 6:20am Reply

Is there any chance that that Opus will release this recording in a DVD?

• Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media) responded on 11 June 2018 at 4:47pm

Hi Angeline,

No details have yet been confirmed or announced, though if this changes, it'll be announced via our website and social media channels.

Best wishes,

Chris

11. Stevie responded on 11 June 2018 at 2:16pm Reply

Vlad, it looks like all the showings across the USA are recorded. Be assured that it will be worth waiting for. It may be a commercial decision based on the large time difference. It would need to be shown late morning to mid day, when most people are at work. That would be something if the Royal Ballet shut down Wall Street.

12. Julia responded on 12 June 2018 at 5:48pm Reply

I'm Julia and do you know if we have a bp in the U.S.

• Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media)) responded on 12 June 2018 at 10:06pm

Hi Julia,

Our BP Big Screens are only available in the UK, I'm afraid.

Many thanks,

Mel

13. Bernie Jones responded on 12 June 2018 at 6:58pm Reply

Getting excited here on the beach in Exmouth, Devon.
    Good luck with the production.

14. Canet responded on 12 June 2018 at 8:49pm Reply

Estem veient el llac dels cines des de Blanes. Girona. Spain

15. Sue responded on 12 June 2018 at 11:57pm Reply

So disappointed in Millennium Square, Bristol not to see this. How often do we have a perfect summer's evening to be outside as we did this evening. What happened! I even took leave to get there sms watch it.

• Joseph Chadbourn (Cinema Account Officer) responded on 14 June 2018 at 4:13pm

Dear Sue,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. We are sorry to hear that you could not experience Swan Lake on the BP Big Screen in Bristol.

We are currently investigating the cause of the issue with the staff at Millennium Square in the hope of resolving this for the BP Big Screens performance of La bohème on the 26th June.

Best regards,
      ROH Cinema

16. Jon Dixon responded on 13 June 2018 at 12:18am Reply

I watched the live stream at the Picture House cinema in Exeter. The lighting of the production appeared to be terrible! It was so bad that you could barely make out the dancers in Act 4 - in fact Rothbart just vanished into the murk. I imagine that was a problem with the stream, rather than the actual lighting design, buy I'd be grateful for your comments.

• Joseph Chadbourn (Cinema Account Officer) responded on 14 June 2018 at 4:18pm

Dear Jon,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We are very sorry to hear that you experienced problems with the lighting during the later stages of the Swan Lake screening.

There were no issues with the transmission leaving the ROH that evening, so we will contact the cinema concerned in the hope of preventing such issues for future screenings.

Best regards,
      ROH Cinema

17. Beverley Brand responded on 13 June 2018 at 8:37am Reply

Totally disappointed with the viewing at the vue cinema in Leicester last night.
    I was so looking forward to seeing swan lake as we were unable to get tickets in London.
    The sound was missing from the beginning and went off very regularly during the first section. We were unable to have sound to connect after the intermission and left in disgust.
    I and my daughter were so looking forward to the evening.
    Looking on the bright side, the costumes and scenery were amazing.

• Joseph Chadbourn (Cinema Account Officer) responded on 14 June 2018 at 4:16pm

Dear Beverley,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. We are very sorry to hear that you experienced problems with the sound during the Swan Lake screening on Tuesday evening.

There were no issues with the feed leaving the ROH that evening, so we will follow up with the cinema in question in the hope of resolving this for future screenings.

Best regards,
      ROH Cinema

18. Carlo responded on 13 June 2018 at 8:39am Reply

I saw the Ballet last night in Anzio fantastic music,dancers, costumes

19. Nelly Saffinova Bc responded on 13 June 2018 at 10:10am Reply

I appreciated Swan Lake from ryal
    beginning, I now that dance could be much more diffifult than opera singing.
    Our physical body has to be always prepared for balley. My number one will awleys stay by OPERA . BIG HONOR and THAK YOU TO MY teacher,mamma Madam Grace Bumbry.

20. Peter Erdos responded on 13 June 2018 at 10:38am Reply

Wonderful evening,perfect dancing by principals and soloists equally. However apart from Nunez and Muntagirov we had no idea who the other dancers were as the Phoenix cinema in East Finchley did not provide a castlist (not the first time) Would it be possible to find the names of all the excellent dancers in a complete list?

21. Josph Maguire responded on 13 June 2018 at 11:55am Reply

Is it Swan Lake the ballet is better then Carman opera? Oh yes. I love to see ballet's dance and the music is wonderful I can't wait for DVD of " Swan Lake" but buy " Carman" on DVD? NO!!!!!

22. G Hampson responded on 13 June 2018 at 5:37pm Reply

Brilliant production and performance, marred by terrible sound at Vue Cinema Oxford. At the start there was no sound at all. Then the introductions by D'Arcy and Ore were almost inaudible against the background audience noise. The music, however, was frequently deafening. Who is responsible for maintaining the sound at an appropriate level?

• Joseph Chadbourn (Cinema Account Officer) responded on 14 June 2018 at 4:20pm

Dear G Hampson,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. We are sorry to hear that you experienced sound issues during the screening of Swan Lake on Tuesday evening.

There were no problems with the transmission leaving the ROH that evening. Further to this, our sound department systematically test audio levels within real cinema conditions prior to every production. We will follow up with the cinema in question in the hope of resolving such problems for future screenings.

Best regards,

ROH Cinema

23. MaMi responded on 14 June 2018 at 12:04am Reply

Because I could not buy any ticket, I went to cinema. It was "the" Swan Lake performance and "the" Swan Lake production for me. Thank you very very much of course to wonderful Marianela and Vadim, great Mr. Scarlett and Mr. Macfarlane, but also to all of the people who worked for the production, it was "the dream has come true"-Swan Lake for me. I've waited for a long long time, since my childhood, to experience such a Swan Lake. So, I do would like to ask you to provide the cast list of 12th June online,so that we can know all of the name of the dancers&staff, and can print it out for keeping.... there were no list at the cinema. We can always get a list, the white one, at the ROH before the performance, free of charge, which is actually a jewel for me, most important thing for the precious memory! Thank you!

24. Rosalind responded on 14 June 2018 at 7:31pm Reply

When I hear about people experiencing difficulties with the sound and the light, I realise how fortunate we were at the Odeon, Sheffield, where the whole ballet came over so well, and gave us an evening to remember..

25. Superb Swan Lake ! Sadly cannot access the Digital proramme . Tried several times , entered promo code , nothing . Any help gratefully received .

• Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media)) responded on 15 June 2018 at 5:25pm

Hi Sarah,

Sorry about this, it's certainly nothing to do with what you're doing! We've had a few technical issues with our digital programmes and the Swan Lake digital programme won't be available during the run of the performance, unfortunately. Sorry for the frustration.

Mel

26. W J Owen responded on 15 June 2018 at 7:52am Reply

I’m not able to obtain the free programme. When will this problem be resolved please? Thanks.
    The Ballet was fabulous!

• Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media)) responded on 15 June 2018 at 5:23pm

Hi Wendy,

Sorry for the frustrating experience. Unfortunately, we've had a few technical issues with our digital programmes and the Swan Lake digital programme isn't available on the site. We're hoping to resolve this issue soon but unfortunately it won't be available during the run of Swan Lake.

Apologies once again.

Mel

27. Maria Gollancz responded on 16 June 2018 at 8:39am Reply

Is there a cinema here in Turkey (Fethiye) to watch Swan Lake

• Lloyd Perry (Cinema Account Officer) responded on 18 June 2018 at 12:40pm

Dear Maria,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Unfortunately, there are currently no cinemas in Turkey screening 'Swan Lake'.

Best regards,
      ROH Cinema Team

28. Dita responded on 17 June 2018 at 4:45pm Reply

Absolutely beautiful performance! We are sending huge BRAVO from Prague in the Czech Republic! This rendition was one of the best I've ever seen. Unfortunately, I have not seen the last few minutes due to "logistical problems". That's why I hope this performance will be available for purchase on DVD. Thank you very much for the wonderful experience!

29. Daphne responded on 17 June 2018 at 7:56pm Reply

My granddaughter and I had a wonderful evening in the cinema in Holland. Thank you so much.