Cast change: Rachele Stanisci to perform in Les Vêpres siciliennes on Thursday 24 October

The Italian soprano will sing from the side-stage, with Lianna Haroutounian to act the role.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

24 October 2013 at 2.56pm | 15 Comments

Due to illness, tonight the role of Hélène in Les Vêpres siciliennes will be sung by Italian soprano Rachele Stanisci from the side of the stage and acted by Armenian soprano Lianna Haroutounian.

Rachele Stanisci has previously sung the role of Hélène in Les Vêpres siciliennes at the Teatro di San Carlo in Naples. Her more recent appearances have included Elisabeth de Valois in Don Carlos for Hamburg State Opera, Liù  in Turandot in Palermo and Livorno, Nedda in Pagliacci in Cremona and Brescia, the title role in Francesca da Rimini for Paris Opéra, Leonora in Il trovatore in Las Palmas, Trieste and Lisbon; Beatrice in Beatrice di Tenda in Catania, Puccini’s Manon Lescaut in Athens, Lady Macbeth in Macbeth in Cagliari, Verdi concerts at Liceu, Barcelona and as Odabella in Attila in Verona.  Plans include Maddalena in Andrea Chénier in Pisa and Nedda in Tokyo.

The rest of the cast remains the same.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

24 October 2013 at 2.56pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged cast change

1. Ruth Elleson responded on 24 October 2013 at 3:30pm Reply

Glad to hear it. I'd much rather have a chance to hear somebody I've never heard of than draw lots between one of two clearly unwell singers and then listen to that person fight their way through it. Toi toi toi to Ms Stanisci!

2. malcolm responded on 24 October 2013 at 6:56pm Reply

SURELY by the time we go week Friday ( NOV 1) ROH will have a FIT WORTHY soprano to sing Helene!!??
    This REALLY isn't goodenough!!!!!!!!

3. PetetheCheat responded on 24 October 2013 at 10:47pm Reply

Did it work, though ? One soprano singing offstage and the other miming and acting the part ?

4. Rachele Stanisci was fabulous!

5. Stunning performance by Rachele Stanisci! Thanks for casting her!

6. Andrew responded on 25 October 2013 at 9:38am Reply

Rachele Stanisci was wonderful, you could have heard a pin drop in the audience when she sang her act 4 aria Ami! ,,le Coeur d'Helene. The huge ovation she received at the end showed the audience loved her. Hope she returns to the stage of the ROH soon.

7. Antoinette Pernetta responded on 25 October 2013 at 10:03am Reply

What a wonderful surprise to hear Ms Stanisci....a joy to hear such warm elegant and graceful singing!!!!

8. Jude responded on 25 October 2013 at 10:48am Reply

Rachele Stanisci was wonderful and fully deserved the applause she got last night. She deserves a full performance. The challenge of projecting from the side of the stage especially when the other principals are centre stage must have been huge. Actually it turned out to be a rather special night so top marks to all the principals inc Haroutounian, who were obviously relieved that it had gone so well, for giving it their best.

9. Loved Rachele Stanisci. Especially the Act IV aria. For me the visual side of the production was incoherent so Rachele standing at the side of the stage wasn't a problem. She sang with passion and commitment, bravo to her!

10. Miriam responded on 25 October 2013 at 2:01pm Reply

I thought Ms Stanisci sang very well last night, however as one of the people who were sitting in the stalls circle up near the stage I think it would have been better if she had stood on the opposite side. Those seats have a restricted enough view without her standing in the way, but as the similar seats on the other side were not in use she would not have got in the way of anybody's view standing there.

11. Colin Roberts responded on 25 October 2013 at 5:40pm Reply

I had my doubts about the casting arrangements when I found out about the substitution, but Ms. Stanisci was magnificent - as the was the entire production. The cast worked beautifully to make things work, and given that the direction was so strong I'm not surprised that the evening was effective. A magnificent performance all around.

12. Peter Kornicki responded on 25 October 2013 at 9:41pm Reply

Sitting on the right-hand side of the Balcony Rachele Stanisci was in front of my eyes the whole evening but even so there were moments when I forgot she was singing the role and was enthralled by the drama on stage, and the same was true of my musicologist companion for the evening. Rachele Stanisci sang exquisitely and with great passion in exceptionally difficult circumstances. It was a triumph and I feel privileged to have been there on an exceptional evening when even the coughers were silent.

13. Thomas responded on 26 October 2013 at 12:40pm Reply

I appreciated Mrs Stanisci , even if the Top of her Voice when she sings FF is not very well , I mean not at the right pitch . All Musicians can confirm that . But she arrived at the last minute and saved the Performance . I also have to say I love very much the Chest Sound , like Caballé, Scotto , Callas and even Haroutounian , that in my opinion it is asoljtely i portant in FERDI Rolex .......but Stanisci doens not have a real Chest Sound on the Low Register ....of course this is just s matter of personal taste - As a matter of fact , I think Stanisci should feel more confortable in Roles by Bellini and Donizetti , like Norma and Stuarda , instead of Verdi and Puccini where I feel there is something missing . Thanks anyway and good luck .

14. robin responded on 27 October 2013 at 9:23pm Reply

So why is Alex Penda here????? Perhaps a very good idea, but please let us know!!!

15. Mireille responded on 26 November 2013 at 8:32pm Reply

NYC-MET- Poplavskaya/Villazon triumph! ...start asking what ROH & artists managers did wrong with them!

After the letter scene, the audience gave a rousing applause to Poplavskaya

Connect with Facebook