Cast change: Anna Tsygankova to dance the role of Kitri in Don Quixote on 5 January 2015

Principal dancer at the Dutch National Ballet replaces Natalia Osipova.

By Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products)

3 January 2015 at 12.45pm | 48 Comments

Updated 12.45pm Saturday 3 January 2015

Due to injury, Anna Tsygankova will replace Natalia Osipova in the role of Kitri for the performance of Don Quixote on 5 January.

Born in Novosibirsk, Russia, she is a principal of Dutch National Ballet. She trained at the ballet academy in Novosibirsk and the Académie de Danse Princesse Grace in Monte Carlo, Monaco. Before joining Dutch National Ballet she danced with the Bolshoi Ballet, Hungarian National Ballet – where she still performs regularly as a guest artist – and the Wiener Staatsballett. Her wide repertory includes Giselle, Nikiya, Odette/Odile, Aurora and repertory by Balanchine, Van Dantzig, Eagling, Forsythe, MacMillan and Van Manen. Her role creations include Kitri (Ratmansky’s Don Quixote) and Wheeldon’s Cinderella. She has won several international dance awards, including the Alexandra Radius Prize (2008), and was nominated for a Zwaan Award for Most Impressive Dance Achievement for her role as Kitri in Don Quixote in 2011.

Watch a film from 2010 in which Anna Tsygankova and Matthew Golding discuss dancing Ratmansky’s Don Quixote together, and see performance extracts:

The rest of the cast for 5 January remains the same.

Due to injury, Marianela Nuñez replaced Natalia Osipova in the role of Kitri for the performance of Don Quixote on 29 December. Thiago Soares replaced Matthew Golding as Basilio. The rest of the cast remained the same.

If you have a ticket please see terms and conditions of sale.

By Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products)

3 January 2015 at 12.45pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged

1. Nick Byrne responded on 28 December 2014 at 10:16pm Reply

Sad news re Osipova, and for Golding too. I saw Marienela last time round - she's wonderful - but I booked for Osipova for me and a friend so, I'm going to let this one go. I doubt that January 5 is going to happen with original casting so I'll make my mind up later. I was there on the 20th so I'm aware of what happened and I have nothing but admiration for the way she managed till the end of act one, and am full of sympathy for the plight she's in. Nothing to be done. But I'm not so sure that it's fair of roh to still show both her an Golding as still dancing tomorrow in the cast list (it's in the cast change announcement but the cast list still shows Osipova and Golding) until the very last moment when a) it's not the case and b) the casting has been in doubt It's unfair on the probable minority who booked for a specific performer (...and yes I read the small print), whereas the majority is not so worried. It's not so much the money (I only do the less expensive seats in the amphi) it's the fact that so many have booked trains, arranged treats for friends etc etc. I could cope with tbc appearing instead of the injured person's name. And I'd welcome a TIMELY explanatory e-mail - it doesn't need to be apologetic. I've been a ROH regular since November 1976, but I'm starting to get very disappointed in the lack of communication when - ironically - communication has become so easy thanks to social media. Anyway, there are far more serious problems in the world, so I'll look forward to Osipova in Onegin, Swan, Temperaments, Fille...and I'm hoping the second run of Song of the Earth.

• Tim Evans responded on 29 December 2014 at 12:47pm

Just saw your comment and wondered if your tickets are available. This is my wife and my first trip to the ballet and the ROH and we have restricted view seats in the gods but it would be lovely to have a better view..

2. Marilyn weston responded on 29 December 2014 at 9:37am Reply

So sorry that ospisova is injured,but will be coming tonight
    Will there be a cast change for jan 5 th and will there be any seats available if ospisova performs

3. Lambros responded on 29 December 2014 at 9:58am Reply

So sad to not see the scheduled cast...it appears that the bigger the name the bigger the chances of injury.....maybe agencies should be more careful.......

4. joseph alder responded on 29 December 2014 at 3:22pm Reply

I did not see Ms Osipova on the 20th but most of what Nick wrote earlier applies to me too. I have seen Marialena before and will also stay at home. I am also disappointed she was still listed as dancing early yesterday when I suspect it would have been known she would not be.
    It is a pity the Royal Ballet also have so little strength in depth amongst the male dancers to make any particular replacement suitably worth the effort to come and see. I wish Ms Osipova a speedy recovery.
    While I am writing I must add there are many splendid ballet reviews on seenandheard-international.com but they never seem to review the Royal Ballet is there any reason for this?

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 30 December 2014 at 5:37pm

Sorry to hear of your disappointment - we made the announcement as soon as we could.

Best wishes

Ellen

5. Galina Alexander responded on 29 December 2014 at 7:26pm Reply

You so have to announce cast change as soon as you know. I would not have bothered if i knew in advance Osipova was not dancing. Expensive seat wasted. It is a norm to announce such things anywhere, totally uncivilised of ROH.

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 29 December 2014 at 8:25pm

Dear Galina (and others who have commented on this blog post)

We are aware of how keen audience members are to see particular dancers and hate to disappoint. The reason for the announcement of the cast change just over 24 hours before the performance is that we were seeing if Natalia Osipova would be well enough to dance. There is always a balance between giving advance warning and leaving enough time to see if the artist has recovered.

Dance is a physical art form and artists sadly do sustain injuries. We hope that whatever the cast, the quality of a Royal Ballet production will always be high.

Best wishes

Ellen

6. Nick Byrne responded on 29 December 2014 at 10:26pm Reply

Hi Ellen

I do understand how difficult it is to get the balance right. My suggestion would be to put tbc after the injured dancer's name if there's still a glimmer of hope but a cloud of uncertainty. At least those who have still to buy are forewarned, and those who might want to resell can make their minds up earlier. I think it's only the minority who focus on specific dancers (me included!) but we would appreciate regular updates via twitter or mail merge. Greater information wouldn't bankrupt the ROH - we know the terms and conditions of purchase, we're not asking for refunds, and of course we are also aware of the high calibre of repalcements. It's just that some of us would good make use of info updates - I for example probably wouldn't have taken the risk of buying last minute back-up tickets for tonight (In the end I returned them to redistribute for free). If Friends or any of us who are email registered customers could be kept up to speed with developments we could make more informed decisions.

All the best

Nick

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 30 December 2014 at 9:51am

Dear Nick

Thanks for your suggestions - I will share them with the Ballet Company.

Best wishes

Ellen

7. Marilyn weston responded on 29 December 2014 at 10:51pm Reply

Ospisova was sadly missed,nunez was brilliant

8. Lablady responded on 30 December 2014 at 12:28am Reply

Nunez and Soares were on top form this evening as "replacements". How lucky were we? Our Australian relatives' first visit and we were all completely blown away by the wonderful orchestra, the perfection and beauty of the dance but also the acting (easily appreciated from the Amphi). Every single person on that stage is acting 100% of the time and that cannot be easy. Thank you all for your hard work. It is so much appreciated. Seeing it again on Sat matinee and cannot wait.

9. Vicki Lawrence responded on 30 December 2014 at 7:37am Reply

I was at the performance when Natalia Osipova fell and have to agree that the way she continued until the end of the first act was extremely brave. I kept looking at the casting and expected a cast change and feel that it was disappointing that such a late announcement was made but realise that dancers health is priority and why the announcement was held until the last moment. When I got to the Opera House there was a written announcement but all the programmes had the original cast - and this was disappointing. No need to say that Marienela Nunez is a fabulous replacement and she was fantastic as was Thiago Soares but the experience was disappointing - not the dancing - but the general attitude of the Opera House. Whilst on here I would like to make a genuine complaint. The front of the stalls and the side of the stalls circle is nothing short of a disgrace. My seat - against the wall in the front row of the stalls even was sealed with gaffer tape. The board on the side of the stage is tatty and also had gaffer tape on it - that cruel and ugly metal orchestra protection is hideous. The side seats of the stalls circle are now usually unused and tatty and messy. What was once one of the great Opera Houses of the world is now, sadly not so. Come on Opera House - tend to your housekeeping and tidy it all up. £95 is a very large amount of money to sit in what appears to be some kind of prison - and I repeat - gaffer tape on the arm of the seat - disgusting.

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 30 December 2014 at 12:57pm

Dear Vicki

I'm very sorry to hear that you were disappointed, but we do our very best to ensure that the audience see the artists they have booked to see, and we hoped that Natalia Osipova would be better in time. Unfortunately this was not the case, and as it is clear that she needs more time to recuperate we have announced her withdrawal for 5 January. As soon as we have further concrete information we will share it.

The reason why Natalia's name was still on the cast sheet was that the sheets are printed ahead of time. When we need to make an amend we supply cast slips - you should have received one.

Your comments about the seating will be passed on to the Front of House team, and I can only apologise for what sounds like a less than ideal experience. The stalls circle seats close to the stage do suffer a lot of wear and tear as they are removed and replaced frequently in order to accommodate extra orchestra members, but the area should still be well maintained.

Best wishes

Ellen

10. Nick Byrne responded on 30 December 2014 at 12:33pm Reply

Thanks for speedy update - sad news re Osipova Jan 5 - she must be devastated.

11. Sharika teelwah responded on 30 December 2014 at 12:53pm Reply

No absolutely gutted! Natalia Osipova is my idol! I hope she's doing okay, I'm sure she'll be back onstage in no time! Wonder who the replacement will be..

12. Marilyn weston responded on 30 December 2014 at 4:39pm Reply

looking forward to see ospisova in onegin,i do hope she will be dancing again soon,but nunez was wonderful as i have already written,came home and watched her with acosta on the dvd,it was a lovely lovely memorable evening

13. Ali C. responded on 31 December 2014 at 10:17am Reply

I am to fly in from Istanbul on Monday 5th for this performance presumably to see Osipova as Kitri. RB should take notice that other people may have made similar plans and bring in someone of similar status from the Bolshoi or Mariinsky to replace Osipova ..... do you read me RB ??

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 31 December 2014 at 3:36pm

Dear Ali

We will announce a replacement as soon as we can. I'm sorry that your plans have been disrupted - we know that cast changes are disappointing for those who have travelled to watch the performance.

Best wishes

Ellen

14. Joy L. responded on 1 January 2015 at 3:17pm Reply

Ali C need not worry. Carlos Acosta's production has breathed such new life into Don Q that it is worth flying from Instanbul to see it whoever is dancing Kitri. The Royal ballet has no need to bring in someone from Bolshoi or Marinsky - they have their own dancers of superb artistry whether Ali sees a principal or a future star in the making.

15. A morgan responded on 1 January 2015 at 5:38pm Reply

According to your website an email is sent to ticket holders informing them of cast changes as soon as possible. As a ticket holder for the performance on 5 Jan I have received no such info. It is not as though this has not been known about for some days.
    Of course we know that injuries to dancers can occur at anytime but keep people informed. As others have said on this message board there are plenty of ways to let people know in this age of social media.

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 4 January 2015 at 6:58pm

Dear A Morgan

Thank you for your email. We have done our very best to keep audiences informed about changes to the casting on Monday 5 January via social media and on the ROH blog - these channels are always staffed. We confirmed Anna Tsygankova's appearance as Kitri at the earliest opportunity.

In this case no email was sent as we are unable to do so over the weekend.

Best wishes

Ellen

16. Danielle Pereira responded on 2 January 2015 at 11:32am Reply

I am in tears here. I really don't want to go anymore if she is not performing. I wish I had been notified by e-mail so I could have exchanged, how was I supposed to guess and check for injuries 3 business days before the performance?
    What are my options here?

Natalia darling, wishing you a speedy recovery. Well wishes from your big fan Danielle. x

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 3 January 2015 at 9:58am

Dear Danielle

Sorry to hear that you are so disappointed. You can of course return your ticket to see if the Box Office can resell it, but if you do come along you will see a wonderful production danced by The Royal Ballet.

Best wishes

Ellen

17. Emily H responded on 2 January 2015 at 1:45pm Reply

I have tickets to come to Don Q on 5th and am disappointed not to be seeing Osipova. When will the replacement be announced? I understand dancers do get injured and it's just one of those unlucky and unfortunate things. I also just missed Osipova in The Sleeping Beauty in March, when she was replaced last minute by Yuhui Choe (who was outstanding). I've never managed to see her live in ROH and will have to wait a little longer.

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 3 January 2015 at 1:12pm

Dear Emily

We have now announced that Anna Tsygankova will replace Natalia Osipova as Kitri.

Best wishes

Ellen

18. David responded on 3 January 2015 at 12:52pm Reply

Like so many others I booked for Natalia and do so wish her well. But well done RB in securing Anna Tsygankova. I have long wanted to see her dance and she and Matthew are of course long-time partners. I look forward to seeing Natalia latter in the season hopefully in Onegin and Swan Lake but meantime I shall certainly be attending for Anna and an now looking forward immensely to her performance with Matthew on the 5th. I say again - well done RB!!!

19. Nick Byrne responded on 3 January 2015 at 1:13pm Reply

LOL - I'm actually a bit sorry I handed in my ticket for resale - I think it's inspired casting and has that sense of excitement a replacement from another excellent company can sometimes bring. Also great that Matthew can relax in the partnership demands too. And to be honest the RB stand in team of Marienela and Akane must be exhausted.

20. May responded on 3 January 2015 at 2:25pm Reply

Anna Tsygankova is brilliant - how lucky for RB that she is available. It would be her debut on the Covent Garden stage in this production! Toi toi toi to Anna, Matthew and the company for what promises to be a very exciting evening on the 5th!

21. Esther responded on 3 January 2015 at 5:04pm Reply

Wooow reading all this I understand how disappointed people can be...I used to fly over from Amsterdam to ROH London to see principals like Sylvie Guillem dance....whatever....I was fortunate and always saw the cast I planned to see....

Now all I can say is that you can really look forward to this dreamcouple !!! You lucky ones...seeing Anna Tsygankova and Matthew Golding at ROH is a blast!!!! E N J O Y !!!

22. Sue Sharp responded on 3 January 2015 at 7:46pm Reply

Cheers to the RB. Matthew and Anna are magical together. Toi toi toi

23. Karen responded on 4 January 2015 at 12:18pm Reply

That is inspired. (Thanks RB. And Matthew in all probability!)

24. Jan Parker responded on 4 January 2015 at 3:00pm Reply

Yes, well done in the circs BUT I too have booked 5 very expensive seats for a family -all live theatre/dance young professionals - who want to see Osipova in this particular role. What about, as a sense of duty of care to the community scheduling a two or three perf run with Osipova with all seats offered first to those who booked for this? And, putting on Youtube as much rehearsal and stage footage as possible?

25. Stella Noach responded on 4 January 2015 at 3:28pm Reply

Toi toi toi Anna and Matthew!
    People who didn't see them yet dance together before can expect fireworks! Of course a replacement is never preferable, but this is now the perfect cast! I've seen them many times in the Netherlands at Dutch National Ballet and they rock!

26. Valerie Knight responded on 4 January 2015 at 4:34pm Reply

I agree with all the comments of Joy L above. She has expressed my thoughts exactly! We were at Don Q last night to see Akane Takana and Vadim Muntagirov for the first time having seen Carlos and Marianella last year. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole ballet. We have some excellent dancers coming through.

27. Alex wallace responded on 4 January 2015 at 10:02pm Reply

We have been waiting for months to see Natalia Osipova dancing in this particular role.We wish her a speedy recovery but lack of interest and concern for advising loyal ROH patrons is shoddy on the part of ROH.

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 6 January 2015 at 1:48pm

Dear Alex

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that communication has been lacking in this case. We have updated audiences with information as soon as we have had it confirmed.

Best wishes

Ellen

28. Rona Skene responded on 5 January 2015 at 3:16pm Reply

This is the second time I have missed seeing Osipova through injury. She does seem rather accident prone…

29. JC Penman responded on 5 January 2015 at 7:12pm Reply

Let's not forget how sensational Matthew Golding is. I was present when Natalia had the unfortunate injury. Yes, selfishly I was a bit saddened as I had travelled quite a distance to see her BUT it was an accident and must be awful for Natalia. I thought Matthew was just amazing : such a charismatic Basilio and partnered Akane Takada so well, who also was just brilliant. Bravo!

30. Vera Dubrovina responded on 6 January 2015 at 10:01am Reply

I was also initially disappointed when I just arrived to the royal opera house yesterday as I absolutely love Osipova but I didn't need to worry. The performance yesterday was simply outstanding and the fantastic partnership between Matthew and Anna was evident throughout. The energy, connection and love for the dance translated absolutely beautifully for the audience. I understand people may have been disappointed not to see Osipova but we have seen something extraordinary yesterday so thank you ROH for securing Anna, it was a real treat.

31. Judith Carroll responded on 6 January 2015 at 2:55pm Reply

Anna and Matthew danced brilliantly together last night. Anna lit up the stage with her warmth and radiance, she was a joy to behold. Matthew "fed on" her presence, and generated a magical performance for all. An excellent evening. Ryoichi Hirano is the best Espada, and he didn't disappoint last night!
    A truly special evening.

32. Sylvia Reed responded on 6 January 2015 at 8:45pm Reply

I agree that the performance last night was superb. I hope we will be able to see Anna dance again at the ROH although hopefully not through injuries to other dancers.

33. Margaret Corcoran responded on 7 January 2015 at 12:18am Reply

We flew over from Dublin to see the performance with Osipova and was very disappointed to find that she was injured. However, we enjoyed a wonderful production and an outstanding performance from Anna Tsygankova & Francesca Hayward was magical also.

34. Kresser Frédéric responded on 7 January 2015 at 2:02pm Reply

Coming from Paris to see the performance with Osipova we were initially disappointed but we have seen a great performance.A wonderful evening. Bravo à tous!

35. António Pinto responded on 16 January 2015 at 10:33am Reply

We also went 29/12 from Lisbon to London to see Osipova in Kitri's role. She was injured and we loved Marianela. I wonder however if Osipova is already well. We would like very much to see her dance, but only when she is completely recovered. There is no hurry, but is there any prevision?
    António

• Ellen West (Head of Creative Studios and Digital Products) responded on 18 January 2015 at 10:45am

Dear Antonio

Thanks for your message.

Natalia Osipova is doing well and is scheduled to dance her performances of Onegin.

Best wishes

Ellen

36. Morton D. Paley responded on 2 June 2015 at 4:52am Reply

You Royal Balletgoers are lucky to have a company that genuinely cares about your concerns and even replies to them. Here in New York City ABT has replaced the injured Polina Semionova with one of their regulars, H. Seo, in all five of Semionova's scheduled appearance. They did not care to find a ballerina of similar international stature, they do not have a website where interchange of this sort is possible, and they do not reply to emails (not on this subject, anyway).