Cast change: Marco Vratogna to appear in eight performances of Tosca

Due to ill health, the Italian baritone replaces Thomas Hampson in all scheduled performances of Baron Scarpia.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

23 April 2014 at 3.03pm | 6 Comments

This post was amended on 09/05/14 - originally Thomas Hampson withdrew from the first four performances of Tosca, on 10, 13, 16 and 19 May

Due to ill health, American baritone Thomas Hampson has withdrawn from the role of Baron Scarpia in Tosca. The role is now sung by Italian baritone Marco Vratogna on all of Thomas Hampson's scheduled dates.

Marco Vratogna made his debut with The Royal Opera as Paolo Albiani in Simon Boccanegra in 2008 and also performed the role of Amonasro in Aida for The Royal Opera in 2010. He has previously sung the role of Scarpia in Tosca for La Scala, Milan; and in Dresden, Vienna, Valencia, Bari, Berlin, Zürich, Hamburg and most recently in Turin.

The rest of the cast remains the same.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

23 April 2014 at 3.03pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by Jonathan Kent, cast change, Marco Vratogna, Production, Tosca

1. Jessica responded on 30 April 2014 at 9:04pm Reply

What a pity! I planed my trip to see Hampson months ago bought the tickets, the plane etc. and now the change. Really disappointing...

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 1 May 2014 at 3:27pm

Hi Jessica,

Sorry you've been disappointed on this occasion. Unfortunately with the live nature of the art form, cast changes are sometimes needed and we're sure that you'll enjoy Marco Vratogna's performances.

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

2. David Lyndon Hedges responded on 10 May 2014 at 1:23pm Reply

I'm sad that I won't get to experience Mr Hampson's Scarpia next Friday but wish him a full and speedy recovery. I'm sure I'll get to see him perform live one day soon.
    I will now look forward to seeing and hearing Snr Vratogna's performance. I'm certain that he will deliver a fine and multi layered Scarpia.
    Another huge plus is to see Roberto Alagna again.

3. Gill Fletcher responded on 14 May 2014 at 3:26pm Reply

My Dad and I went to see Tosca last night and just LOVED Marco Vragotna as Scarpia. We are not opera experts but difficult to imagine how another performer could have been better. Roberto Alagna also amazing! :)

4. Karen Gordon responded on 20 May 2014 at 9:19am Reply

I too was looking forward to Hampson as Scarpia but last night I was thrilled at Vragotna's performance. Wonderful look, physicality, and great vocal menace. And 14 years after first seeing Alagna's Cavaradossi, I fell in love all over again!

5. Anne Chambers responded on 31 May 2014 at 9:17pm Reply

I was so disappointed to learn that Thomas Hampson had to withdraw as Scarpia! Especially after reading the Tosca reviews! However..... My son (who'd never seen the opera) and I still managed to enjoy the performance of 27 May! Critics can be too harsh! Opera is for the people not just the cognoscenti! And we enjoyed it!! I'd never envisaged Alagna as Cavaradossi (think Domingo and Kaufmann).... but he was wonderful! One slight quibble.... Tosca needed a couple of acting lessons, especially in Act II and III! I'm sure she can work on that!!!! More angst when one's beloved is being tortured perhaps.....