Please do not attempt to make a booking from Sunday midnight - Monday 1.30am (GMT). Due to website updating your booking will not go through.

Cast change: Hikaru Kobayashi to dance in La Bayadère on 9 and 27 April

Japanese First Soloist replaces Lauren Cuthbertson.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

5 April 2013 at 2.54pm | 4 Comments

Royal Ballet First Soloist Hikaru Kobayashi will replace Lauren Cuthbertson in the role of Nikiya for performances of La Bayadère on 9 and 27 April (matinee) due to injury.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

5 April 2013 at 2.54pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged cast change

1. Valerie Knight responded on 5 April 2013 at 4:17pm Reply

I was expecting a cast change as I'd read somewhere that Lauren was injured again. She is my favourite dancer and I'd like to send my best wishes for her recovery.

2. Dragica Petrović responded on 5 April 2013 at 4:57pm Reply

Like Ballet La Bajadere :D :P

3. Robin Smith responded on 6 April 2013 at 1:45am Reply

I've seen Miss Kobayashi at CG many times so know how consistantly good she is. I felt her performance in the Dress Rehearsal for La Bayadere this morning (April 5th) was excellent - the best I've ever seen her. It was enchanting.

4. kj responded on 15 May 2013 at 6:14pm Reply

I was disappointed with Kobayashi, I don't think she is up to the demands of this role and knows it. She literally lent on Acosta in turns and kind of sunk in her body when she was lifted. She lacked endurance or desire it seemed, her solo with fouettes to finish petered out as I willed her on, she looked nervous and lacked sustained acting skill in her face or body, you need one. It was ok she had moments. Her last solo was good but still did not express the choreography as I have seen before in a stretching sinuously way. She is not a leading lady for a role like this. Thank god for Carlos and Nunez who could frankly sleep walk through it. Of note also were the three shades solos, all excellent, the last one Elizabeth Harrod? looked like she had studied Vivianna Durantes interpretation religiously, bravo! I wonder if Kobayashis difficulties is partly cultural with her understated and under attacked approach, hmm, thing is if you can't soar into the role when Carlos lifts you then it looks like your heart really is not in it, maybe its not, so why should ours be? I'm sure other roles would suit and be more enjoyable for her aswell, but I was left with the post Guillem, Rojo and Bussell blues. RB need to invest in stars both brought in and home grown.

Connect with Facebook