Cast change: Bennet Gartside to dance Prince Rudolf in Mayerling on 25 and 30 April

First Soloist to replace Johan Kobborg.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

3 April 2013 at 6.25pm | 10 Comments

First Soloist Bennet Gartside will dance the role of Prince Rudolf in The Royal Ballet’s Mayerling on 25 and 30 April. He will replace Johan Kobborg.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

3 April 2013 at 6.25pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged cast change

1. Judy responded on 7 April 2013 at 6:24pm Reply

Hi, will I be able to cancel my ticket because I don't want to see a first soloist that I have never heard of before in this role? And most importantly will my husband and I be able to get a full refund?

We were paying to see Kobborg- as were many of my friends- should we contact the box office directly to cancel?

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 7 April 2013 at 9:18pm

Dear Judy

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed. Please contact the Box Office to discuss further.

Best

Ellen

2. Rachel responded on 8 April 2013 at 12:21pm Reply

Just a note that Bennet Gartside is a brilliant dancer - see this corroboration from Clement Crisp http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/424794da-69d8-11e1-8996-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2PrzqBRnQ
    I'm very excited to see what he'll make of the role.

3. Judy responded on 8 April 2013 at 8:17pm Reply

Please someone bring back Sergei

4. Phillip Arnold responded on 16 April 2013 at 4:05pm Reply

Isn't it foolish for the Royal Ballet to announce casting so far in advance of performances. It seems as though the scheduled dancers are constantly being replaced. (A friend of mine has told me that dancers often cancel because "they don't feel like dancing"!). The Royal should take a leaf out of Birmingham Royal's book - casting is only announced much nearer the date of the performance - so you can't book for a specific dancer or dancers! Works much better. And they are probably a better company anyway.

5. Shelly responded on 17 April 2013 at 11:41pm Reply

Hi Philip- I agree- I was really looking forward to seeing Kobborg- as were many of my friends- they need to sort out the situation- I've never heard of his replacement before

6. I'm happy to take a chance on booking to see my favourite dancers and am usually lucky. Sometimes substituted dancers have been excellent and become new favourites. Casting lists do state that they may change.

7. Well it looks as though Judy (1st comment) missed out on a fantastic performance. Opera singer Joyce Di Donato wrote on Twitter:

#Mayerling at the @RoyalOperaHouse last night was one of the most sublime, yet shattering evenings I've ever spent in the theater.

@Bennet76 @RoyalOperaHouse Bennet! You were sensational last night!! Kudos to the Company and to YOU!!!! Thanks for giving it your all!

Friends who saw his performance were overwhelmed by the emotion impact from all the cast. Well done Royal Ballet for knowing your dancers and giving Mr Gartside a role that "fitted him like a glove"!

8. Sue responded on 16 May 2013 at 10:31pm Reply

I too was dissappointed that neither Alina nor Johan were dancing, but injuries do happen and I know neither of them would have wanted to miss dancing in this ballet. They both love it. HOWEVER Bennet Gartside was fantastic and I am so glad I didn't forgo my tickets and miss the performance. I hope that in future seasons he will given the role and not just be a replacement. Well done and congratulations to him!!!

9. Anna Smithson responded on 9 June 2013 at 12:03am Reply

I tend to agree with the review from the Dancing Times that, " Gartside was pacing himself too cautiously in this most taxing role, and that he never gave his all, particularly in the many duets, which looked as if they were being performed in slow motion". Please bring back Sergei- I don't think that Sergei even understand the concept of pacing himself!!!

Connect with Facebook