Cast amendment: Dmitri Hvorostovsky to withdraw from Il trovatore

Russian baritone has withdrawn from the role of Count di Luna, with a replacement to be announced in due course.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

8 December 2016 at 4.05pm | 10 Comments

[Edit: 14 December] Following the announcement last week that Russian baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky has withdrawn from Il trovatore, the role of Count di Luna will now be sung by Ukrainian baritone Vitaliy Bilyy.

Due to illness, Russian baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky has regrettably had to withdraw from the role of Count di Luna in The Royal Opera’s production of Verdi’s Il trovatore in January and February 2017.

It was announced in June 2015 that Dmitri Hvorostovsky was beginning treatment for a brain tumour. In a message to his friends, fans and colleagues, the singer has said:

‘It is with great sadness that I must withdraw from opera performances for the foreseeable future. I have been experiencing balance issues associated with my illness, making it extremely difficult for me to perform in staged productions. I will continue to give concerts and recitals as well as make recordings. Singing is my life, and I want to continue bringing joy to people worldwide. With this pause in my operatic career, and more rest in between each engagement, I hope to have more time to focus on my health and treatment. Thank you for all your love, messages and well-wishes. Your support is felt and means the world to me.’

Director of Casting at The Royal Opera Peter Katona said:

'We admire Dmitri's extraordinary courage and positive spirit in dealing with his illness, and hope that with time his condition will improve to allow him to return to the stage. We know that the entire opera world and his London audiences in particular join us in sending him the warmest and most heartfelt good wishes.'

Replacement casting for the role will be announced in due course.

If you have a ticket please see terms and conditions of sale.

By Chris Shipman (Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media)

8 December 2016 at 4.05pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged by David Bosch, cast change, Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Il trovatore

1. Julia responded on 8 December 2016 at 5:00pm Reply

I wish Dmitry Alexandrovich a speedy recovery and return to scene of Covent Garden.

2. Anna Woda responded on 8 December 2016 at 7:29pm Reply

I am so sad to read this as I was so looking forward to Dmitri's Count di Luna on 31st January. Having watched his career since 1987 he is the best! Last saw him in Vienna in May (Simon Boccanegra). I am filled with admiration with the way Dmitri has coped with his illness and treatment and the way that he has really tried not to let his legions of fans down. We are all thinking of him and wishing him and his family strength in his fight. Keep the faith Dmitri, with warmest wishes. Anna

3. Matias Perez responded on 8 December 2016 at 11:11pm Reply

Get well soon Dmitri.
    May I suggest baritone Vitaliy Bilyy, extraordinary, as his replacement.

4. Bea responded on 9 December 2016 at 8:27am Reply

I agree with Anna. I'm so very sad to hear this. Dimitri has been extraordinary in honouring his engagements around treatments; he's an old-school professional with a divine gift and I wish him and his family well.

5. Oleksandr Movshuk responded on 9 December 2016 at 11:38am Reply

Since anouncing the sad news of his health problem in 2015, Dmitry has been extremely professional in honoring his prior obligations. An old school professional, wholly devoted to his numerous fans... So the cancellation is indeed worrying, and I only hope that it does not indicate a sudden worsening of Dmitri's condition, and that we will have many other occasions to hear his beautiful voice. Please get well, Dmitri!

6. Peter responded on 9 December 2016 at 7:02pm Reply

Get well soon, from all your uk fans.

7. Ania responded on 9 December 2016 at 8:47pm Reply

Dimitri Alexandrovich , from the bottom of my heart I wish you speedy recovery !
    Since forever You filled us with joy , peace , moved us so deeply through your performances.
    We think of you , please take good care of you!
    In a meantime we will exhaust the wondefrul recordings that you have made for us!!!!!!!
    We cannot wait to see you well and hear your beautiful voice soon !!!
    Ania

8. Michael Webb responded on 13 December 2016 at 8:41am Reply

Terrible news - many of us must have taken comfort from Dmitri's listing once more on the opera stage, thinking a miraculous recovery had taken place. Sincerest hopes from every quarter that recovery WILL happen in time and that we shall see as well as hear that unique and wonderful artist again, however long we have to wait.

9. Petra responded on 13 December 2016 at 4:54pm Reply

Fully agree with all that was said above. I was devastated when I read the message - not because I will travel to London from abroad and not be able to see Dmitri in Trovatore, but because, like Oleksandr, I sincerely hope it does not indicate a worsening of Dmitri's condition but "only" another stage in the treatment. His health is the most important thing. So, please, Dmitri, take as much rest as you need and whatever time it takes to recover. There are lots of people out there who love you and will be so happy to see you back on stage for concerts or whatever and whenever you feel well enough for it. From the bottom of my heart, lots of love and best wishes to you and your family!

10. Judith responded on 16 December 2016 at 7:31pm Reply

Best wishes for a speedy recovery - fingers crossed and many prayers going up for you. We'll really miss you in Il Trovatore