Carmen Giannattasio replaces Celine Byrne in La bohème

Italian soprano to make her Royal Opera debut.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

18 April 2012 at 11.10am | 6 Comments

Due to health reasons, Irish soprano Celine Byrne has withdrawn from singing the role of Mimì in The Royal Opera’s upcoming production of La bohème. The role will now be sung by Italian soprano Carmen Giannattasio, making her Royal Opera debut.

Carmen Giannattasio has previously sung Mimì in Berlin and Toulouse. Her recent appearances include Violetta Valéry in La traviata in Berlin; Leonora in Il trovatore for Théâtre du Capitole, Toulouse;  Salomé (Massenet’s Hérodiade) for De Vlaamse Opera; and Vitellia (La clemenza di Tito) in Aix-en-Provence.

Her future roles include the role of Elizabeth of Valois in Don Carlos in Berlin as well as her debut at the Metropolitan Opera, New York as Leonora (Il trovatore).  She won First Prize and the Audience Award in Operalia in Paris in 2002.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

18 April 2012 at 11.10am

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged Carmen Giannattasio, cast change, John Copley, La bohème, opera, Production, soprano

1. Toi, Toi, Toi!!!

2. JC responded on 18 April 2012 at 1:29pm Reply

So many changes lately! Why? Personal reasons? Health reasons? I wonder. ROH need to get their house in order!

Wishing Ms Giannattasio well in her debut.

3. S Daniel responded on 19 April 2012 at 1:02pm Reply

I have mixed feelings about this change only because I am too busy here in Ireland to have gone to see Celine Byrne at the ROH, so now I don't have to feel I'm missing her. She is tremendously good, has one cd out that does not capture how good. And I think her voice would be spectacular with J Calleja's. She sang Mimi in Dublin, made us all cry and we loved it. So best of luck to all. (They had good luck at the Met w their Siegfried replacement.)

4. Karlin responded on 24 April 2012 at 11:39am Reply

Really disappointed Celine Byrne won't be there and agree with S Daniel -- she is superb and definitely has a great career before her; have heard her several times in Ireland including a concert with Carreras and as Mimi and was planning to come over for this Boheme to see her (my 1st visit to ROH). Absolutely the best of luck to Carmen :) and toi toi toi -- but I do hope ROH will have another opportunity to bring in Celine Byrne before long. I think we will be seeing her in stage roles around the world in the coming years; a gorgeous voice and real stage charm.

5. Ed Beveridge responded on 28 April 2012 at 11:25am Reply

Celine Byrne was a terrific Rusalka when Camilla Nylund fell ill - however it's great to see Carmen Giannattasio making her ROH debut, and I'm sure she will be superb.

6. Ashley Rich responded on 28 April 2012 at 7:43pm Reply

I am happy about this. Carmen is a beautiful singer/artist. And the cast and orchestra seem to feel the same, having played and sang happy birthday to her the other day. Celine Byrne unfortunately just isn't up to the standard needed here at the ROH. Reading between the lines she was more likely dismissed.