Behind the scenes on Don Giovanni with Gerald Finley

Take a look at a gallery of images from behind the scenes.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

2 February 2012 at 5.17pm | 4 Comments

Don Giovanni is considered one of the most fascinating roles in opera with countless interpretations and productions. But how does the performer prepare?

Photographer Sim Canetty-Clarke recently shadowed Gerald Finley as he prepared for, and sang the titular role in Francesca Zambello's production of Don Giovanni. Part of an ongoing photography project with the singer, her work reveals the transitions and environment that a singing actor encounters when performing such a role - the mystery, comedy and drama of Mozart's Don is apparent even behind the scenes.

Here's a glimpse behind the scenes:

You have one more chance to see Gerald as Don Giovanni in this ROH season when he performs the role on Friday 3 February. From Thursday 16 February the role will be sung by Erwin Schrott.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

2 February 2012 at 5.17pm

This article has been categorised Opera and tagged Backstage, behind the scenes, don giovanni, Francesca Zambello, Gerald Finley, Production

1. Hariclea responded on 2 February 2012 at 6:09pm Reply

This Don can come and sing sotto la mia finestra anytime ;-))))

2. Zanka Dobias responded on 2 February 2012 at 8:47pm Reply

I saw the show on Tuesday and it was amazing. I was amazed how timeless this piece is. Such a pleasure to watch it.

3. Enrica Lusuardi Senatore responded on 2 February 2012 at 11:31pm Reply

I saw the show on saturday 28 invited by the commendatore Marco Spotti. As my friend Marco I come from Parma and I'm used to listen and see opera in our Worldwide kown Teatro Regio. I can say that I saw a big production and wonderful singers. BRAVI !

4. Mr Ashley responded on 3 February 2012 at 9:11am Reply

Wonderful photographs - capturing so much