Behind the Costume: The Lilac Fairy

An in depth look at the new Lilac Fairy costume from The Sleeping Beauty with First Artist Claire Calvert.

By Katie Vernon-Smith (Digital Learning Producer)

24 October 2011 at 9.55am | 8 Comments

Mal Barton, Costume Workshop Manager and Claire Calvert, First Artist with the Royal Ballet talk us through the revived Lilac Fairy costume from Marius Petipa’s The Sleeping Beauty. The materials, textures and made-for-movement design is all explained in detail by Mal whilst Claire demonstrates what the costume is like to move in and how “you can’t help feeling like a ballerina when wearing a tutu.”

Tell us what is your favourite costume in The Royal Ballet’s repertoire?

By Katie Vernon-Smith (Digital Learning Producer)

24 October 2011 at 9.55am

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Claire Calvert, costume, Dance, design, Education, technical

1. Mella Thornton responded on 24 October 2011 at 2:27pm Reply

There are so many beautiful, elaborate costumes to choose from, yet my favourite(s) would be the simple leotards with skirts attached in Song of the Earth.

2. Katie responded on 25 October 2011 at 9:39pm Reply

This is my favourite costume (I love purple_ and Claire looked absolutely stunning. It's lovely to see the technical side of a costume. It just makes my heart soar to see those costumes, they are so perfect.

3. Rachel Miller responded on 26 October 2011 at 4:51pm Reply

My favourites are the Sugar Plum Fairy tutu, Gamzatti's red costume in the final act of La Bayadere and the nightie Mary Vetsera wears when she first goes to Rudolph's apartment in Mayerling. Sure there are loads more though!

4. Carito Angulo Pradel responded on 27 October 2011 at 3:11pm Reply

It's so adorable!

5. Carito Angulo Pradel responded on 27 October 2011 at 3:12pm Reply

I think my favourite costume it's from La Bayadere, and also the always pretty costume from The Nutcracker.

6. The Sleeping Beauty is my vary favourite ballet. The first time I ever saw a ballet is back in March or April 1951 with my great aunt Molly at the old Metropolitan Opera House back in 1951 and from that day on I wanted take ballet classes. When I first saw this ballet the Sleeping Beauty Margot Fonteyn and since then I`ve studied ballet and seen a lot of ballet for at least 25 years mostly through a friend who we had subscriptions to New York City Ballet How I just wish I could someday see the Royal Ballet again in person. I miss going to the ballet, so I watch the Youtube clips of Alina Cojocaru dancing the lea in Sleeping Beauty and I think Alina is so wonderful I just wish I could see her in person someday. Maybe I can get the DVD to play on my tele or on my computer.

7. Sergio responded on 30 October 2011 at 10:51pm Reply

My favorite 2 costumes are: Aurora's tutu in the first act, absolutely gorgeous!! And Lise's dress for the pas de deux in La Fille Mal Gardee.. (Nikiya's first variation's dress is also lovely)

8. My fvorite ballet costumes are all the beatiful tutu cosumes that Alina Caoujuouro were in Sleeping Beauty, Ijust wish I could dance like her, Alina is so sweet and wondrful to watch.

Connect with Facebook