Beatriz Stix-Brunell and Nehemiah Kish to perform in Alice for three performances

Duo to perform as Alice and Jack/Knave of Hearts on 24, 29 March; 3 April.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

19 March 2012 at 3.49pm | 13 Comments

Beatriz Stix-Brunell and Nehemiah Kish are to perform the roles of Alice and Jack/Knave of Hearts for performances of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland on 24 and 29 March and 3 April.

Both dancers will make their Royal Opera House debuts in the roles.

Beatriz Stix-Brunell joined The Royal Ballet in 2010 from Morphoses/The Wheeldon Company. Prior to this the Miami, Florida born dancer trained at the School of American Ballet, the Paris Opera Ballet School and completed her studies with Fabrice Herrault in New York.

Nehemiah Kish joined The Royal Ballet as a Principal in 2010, formerly dancing with the Royal Danish Ballet and the National Ballet of Canada. His other upcoming roles include performing in Christopher Wheeldon's Polyphonia - part of a triple bill with Wayne McGregor, Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt's Carbon Life and a new work from Liam Scarlett - as well as in The Prince of the Pagodas.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

19 March 2012 at 3.49pm

This article has been categorised Ballet and tagged Alice, Ballet, Beatriz Stix-Brunell, cast change, Nehemiah Kish

1. Sandra Davidson responded on 21 March 2012 at 8:28am Reply

Is Marianela injured? No disrespect to Beatriz, but I booked especially to see Marianela as advertised on your original casting, as she is a favourite of my daughter & I.
    Hugely disappointed.

2. Sandra Lush responded on 22 March 2012 at 12:00pm Reply

Me too. No disrepecsct to the replacement dancers, but when you pay a lot of money specifically to see a top dancer, you would rather hope that if they are sadly unable to perform, that they would be replaced by another principal.
    This was supposed to be a family treat not a massive disappointment.

3. Jan Willis responded on 22 March 2012 at 9:18pm Reply

I've also just checked the dancers for the 29th March and am so disapointed that Marianela will not be dancing. I also booked this date especially to see Marianela again. I feel decidedly cheated!

• We saw The Royal Ballet perform Alice's Adventures in Wonderland yesterday afternoon at Covent Garden. We had been unaware that Marianela was injured and that a replacement had been found. Beatriz Stix-Brunell's dancing was utterly amazing and she received standing ovations from large sections of the audience. The quality of the Royal Ballet's dancers is such that I can't see how you could be disappointed by their understudies. I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more from Beatriz in the future.

4. ian lang responded on 23 March 2012 at 10:02pm Reply

As a Friend for well over 25 years, I have long since thought that when you book months in advance you are very unlikely to see the artists advertised.
    If you do, you are quite fortunate.
    Ian Lang

5. Linda Slavin responded on 24 March 2012 at 11:32am Reply

I particularly booked to see Marianela and Rupert on 29th March. I feel I have been cheated and taken for an idiot if the ROH thinks we won't notice our favourite dancers have been replaced. The ROH need to treat their supporters with more care and consideration
    Hugely furious and disappointed

6. Mary O'Mahony responded on 24 March 2012 at 6:53pm Reply

I have just come home from today's matinee of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and found Beatrix's performance absolutely delightful and capitvatiing. It is lovely to see a new talent emerging. I do not feel disappointed or cheated in any way!!

7. Graeme Williams responded on 24 March 2012 at 7:25pm Reply

Disappointment was my reaction when I read the programmme list today (I didn't know beforehand). I too had booked specifically to see Marianela. However, Beatriz performed wonderfully when you consider how much the role entails - the dancer must be onstage for all but 5 minutes of the entire show. That's a lot to learn! We saw Sarah Lamb dance the role last year and I think she had the edge but that doesn't take away from Beatriz's performance. Look forward to seeing you again.
    Laura Morera did a great job of The Queen too. Couldn't one of the three or four bouquets have been directed to Laura?

8. Ashwag responded on 25 March 2012 at 1:03am Reply

Attended the performance on the 24th, they were both amazing. A joy to watch.

9. Andrew Dahl responded on 25 March 2012 at 3:59pm Reply

You are so fortunate to have the opportunity to see Beatriz Stix-Brunell dancing as Alice. Years from now, you will brag to your friends by telling them that you were there at Beatriz' first (of many to come) starring role at the Royal Opera House.

10. Margaret Lauder responded on 26 March 2012 at 1:42pm Reply

I was bowled over by Beatriz on 25 March and look forward to seeing her in other roles. I missed Stephen McCrae's tap dancing skills as the Mad Hatter.

11. Samantha responded on 14 September 2012 at 8:48am Reply

Please, give these two a chance!

12. Harold Pokel responded on 6 June 2013 at 7:57pm Reply

I just chanced on a video of Beatrix Stix-Brunell rehearsing "Alice" with Christopher Wheeldon. I followed that up by reading everything I could about her.

It must have been extraordinary to be present at her first performances. She is an exceptional talent. It is understandable that some would be disappointed by the injury to Marianela. But that could last only until seeing Beatrix. Her talent and intelligence are stunning.