Ballet and Dance 2015/16

Details of The Royal Ballet’s 2015/16 Season have been announced.

By Lottie Butler (Former Assistant Content Producer (News and Social Media))

15 April 2015 at 9.54am | 88 Comments

Autumn Season

Deloitte Ignite 2015

Curated by ROH Learning and Participation

Romeo and Juliet
By Kenneth MacMillan
Music: Sergey Prokofiev

A tragic tale of star-crossed lovers: Kenneth MacMillan’s groundbreaking ballet is a 20th-century classic.

19 September at 7pm
22* | 24 | 26 September at 7.30pm
1 October at 2pm and 7.30pm
3 October at 12.30pm
9 | 23 | 29 October at 7.30pm
17 October at 7pm
3 | 5 | 11 | 20 | 23 November at 7.30pm
1 | 2 December at 7.30pm

*Live cinema relay

Symphonie Dramatique (Linbury Studio Theatre)
By Hélène Blackburn
Music: Martin Tétreault

Québécois company Cas Public dance their vibrant, contemporary reimagining of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet.

23 | 24 | 25 September at 7.45pm
26 September at 12.30pm and 5pm

Chéri (Linbury Studio Theatre)
By Martha Clarke

Martha Clarke’s impassioned work of dance-theatre, inspired by Colette’s novels, charts the doomed love affair between a woman and a man half her age in belle-époque Paris.

September and October

Connectome / Raven Girl
By Alastair Marriott / Wayne McGregor
Music: Arvo Pärt / Gabriel Yared

A mixed programme of ballets inspired by science and fairytale, featuring works from two British choreographers closely associated with The Royal Ballet, Alastair Marriott and Wayne McGregor.

6 | 8 | 12 | 20 | 22 October at 7.30pm
10 October at 1pm
24 October at 12.30pm

Viscera / Afternoon of a Faun / Tchaikovsky pas de deux / Carmen
By Liam Scarlett / Jerome Robbins / George Balanchine / NEW Carlos Acosta
Music: Lowell Liebermann / Claude Debussy / Piotr Il’yich Tchaikovsky / Georges Bizet, arranged by Martin Yates

Carlos Acosta’s new ballet on Bizet’s tragic tale of jealousy and desire concludes this mixed programme, with works by Liam Scarlett, Jerome Robbins and George Balanchine.

26 | 28 October at 7.30pm
2 | 6 | 9 | 12* November at 7.30pm
31 October at 1.30pm and 7pm
*Live cinema relay

Mixed Programme (Linbury Studio Theatre)
Phoenix Dance Theatre
By Itzik Galili / Sharon Watson / Caroline Finn

One of the UK’s leading contemporary dance companies presents an exciting mixed programme featuring works by Sharon Watson, Caroline Finn and Itzik Galili.

11 | 12 | 13 | 14 November at 7.45pm

Mixed Programme: A Passing Cloud (Linbury Studio Theatre)
Royal New Zealand Ballet
by Javier De Frutos / Neil Ieremia / Andrew Simmons / Andonis Foniadakis

The national ballet company of New Zealand performs a mixed programme of contemporary dance that celebrates New Zealand and Pasifika culture.

17 | 18 | 19 | 20 November at 7.45pm
21 November at 2.30pm and 7.45pm

Monotones I and II / The Two Pigeons
By Frederick Ashton
Music: Erik Satie / André Messager, arranged by John Lanchbery

Ashton’s sublime modernist ballet is a counterpoint to the much-anticipated revival of his charming comic romance.

18 | 19 | 24 | 27 November at 7.30pm
4 December at 7.30pm
5 December at 1.30pm and 7pm

The Nutcracker
By Peter Wright, after Lev Ivanov
Music: Pyotr Il’yich Tchaikovsky

A young girl’s enchanted present leads her on a wonderful adventure in this classic ballet, danced to Tchaikovsky’s glittering score.

8 | 9 | 11 | 14 | 16* | 21 December at 7.30pm
12 December at 7pm
17 December at 2.30pm and 7.30pm
18 | 22 | 24 | 29 December at 12.30pm
23 | 28 December at 2pm and 7pm
31 December at 12 noon and 5pm
2 January at 12.30pm
5 | 6 | 8 | 13 | 14 January at 7.30pm
9 January at 1pm
*Live cinema relay

Winter Season

Elizabeth (Linbury Studio Theatre)
By Will Tuckett and
Alasdair Middleton
Music: Martin Yates

Will Tuckett’s opulent full-length work fuses dance, music and theatre in its exploration of the life and loves of Queen Elizabeth I.

January

Rhapsody / The Two Pigeons
By Frederick Ashton
Music: Sergey Rachmaninoff / André Messager, arranged by John Lanchbery

Ashton’s celebration of virtuoso dance creates an elegant counterpoint to his charming, light-hearted romance.

16 | 30 January at 12.30pm
20 | 26* | 28 January at 7.30pm
23 January at 2pm and 7pm
*Live cinema relay

After the Rain / NEW Christopher Wheeldon / Within the Golden Hour
By Christopher Wheeldon
Music: Arvo Pärt / Mark-Anthony Turnage / Ezio Bosso

The Royal Ballet celebrates the acclaimed choreographer Christopher Wheeldon with this mixed programme of three one-act ballets, including one world premiere.

12 | 16 | 17 | 19 February at 7.30pm
13 February at 12.30pm
10 | 11 March at 7.30pm

Giselle
By Marius Petipa, after Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot
Music: Adolphe Adam, revised by Joseph Horovitz

The greatest of all Romantic ballets, Peter Wright’s production of Marius Petipa’s classic is a tale of betrayal, the supernatural and love that transcends death.

26 February at 7.30pm
27 February at 7pm
17 March at 2.30pm and 7.30pm
19 March at 12.30pm
22 | 23 | 29 | 31 March at 7.30pm
28 March at 2pm and 7pm
1 | 6* | 9 | 15 April at 7.30pm
2 April at 7pm
*Live cinema relay

Spring Season

The Winter's Tale
By Christopher Wheeldon
Music: Joby Talbot

Christopher Wheeldon’s three-act ballet adaptation of Shakespeare’s tale of love, loss and reconciliation is a triumph for The Royal Ballet.

12 | 13 | 18 | 20 | 21 | 27 | 28 April at 7.30pm
16 April at 12.30pm
30 April at 1.30pm and 7pm
21 May at 7pm
1 June at 7.30pm
7 June at 2pm and 7.30pm
10 June at 12.30pm

Frankenstein NEW
By Liam Scarlett
Music: Lowell Liebermann

The world premiere of Liam Scarlett’s new full-length ballet, inspired by Mary Shelley’s Gothic masterpiece.

4 | 6 | 17 | 18* | 20 | 24 | 25 | 27 May at 7.30pm
7 May at 1.30pm and 7pm
*Live cinema relay

Summer Season

Obsidian Tear / The Invitation / Within the Golden Hour
By NEW Wayne McGregor / Kenneth MacMillan / Christopher Wheeldon
Music: Esa-Pekka Salonen / Mátyás Seiber / Ezio Bosso

Three ballets from three very different choreographers, all closely associated with The Royal Ballet: a world premiere from McGregor, dark drama from MacMillan and acclaimed ensemble work from Wheeldon.

28 May at 7pm
31 May at 7.30pm
3 June at 7.30pm
4 June at 12.30pm
11 June at 1.30pm and 7pm

The Royal Ballet School Summer Performance
9 July at 11.30am

By Lottie Butler (Former Assistant Content Producer (News and Social Media))

15 April 2015 at 9.54am

This article has been categorised Ballet, Dance and tagged 2015-16, Ballet, booking announcement, Linbury Studio Theatre, season announcement

1. Fantastic! Some good things in here. I am looking forward to the full length ballet offerings (Romeo and Juliet, Giselle, The Winter's Tale) in particular.

2. Rob G responded on 15 April 2015 at 11:04am Reply

A bit disappointing compared to the well balanced opera programme announced. Think I will be spending more money on the opera than ballet (normally the other way round). Not sure why we have afternoon of a faun in a different mixed programme again. The same trick was played with song of the earth in spring and summer this year and looks like done again with within the golden hour next year. Quite a lot by resident choregraphers - hope they can produce! Not that much Macmillan or Ashton. Happy that Winter's Tale is back not so sure about some others. Thought it would be time to show Bayerdere again also Las Hermanas, Ondine, Marguerite & Armand and concerto?

• Francois Girardot responded on 17 April 2015 at 4:48pm

I'm excited by the opera season but I don't think it is well balanced. There's no German sung opera: only one Wagner (Tannhauser) and only one Strauss (Ariadne auf Naxos) that's all! No Entfuhrung (or Zauberflote), no Fidelio, no Freischutz, no Lulu (or Wozzeck) etc. 2 for the entire year, I know it's not selling as much as la Traviata or Tosca but it's a bit disappointing. I'll have to travel to Berlin, Munich, Vienna and Paris (die Meistersingers, Roesnkavalier, Capriccio) again :-)

3. Dana responded on 15 April 2015 at 11:29am Reply

Some really great contemporary works here; looking forward to Frankenstein, Carmen and Raven Girl. Had hoped to see more variety with the classics - if you're a regular it's looking like a re-run.

4. Joan Hopton responded on 15 April 2015 at 11:47am Reply

Very disappointing compared with the excitement of the 2014/15 season. Surprised Giselle is revived so soon after it was previously performed. Would have preferred Bayadere or Mayerling, building on the wonderful dramatic performances in Manon and Onegin. In fact would have loved to see one of these ballets again to allow the debut casts of which there were several, to broaden and deepen their already wonderful interpretations. It is difficult when you only get to perform say, 3 performances and then don't get the chance again for at least a couple of years. Very little here to tempt me to make the long journey to London apart from possibly the Rhapsody/Two Pigeons double bill. I was really pleased when I noticed several matinees scheduled for this bill but they are all on a Thursday when I work; no Saturday matinees at all. At least I can see it at the cinema.
    Do we know when casting for the autumn season will be announced?

• Chris Shipman (Interim Head of Online Content) responded on 15 April 2015 at 11:50am

Hi Joan,

Casting isn't yet available but will be announced (as soon as possible) in due course.

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

5. Ruth Elleson responded on 15 April 2015 at 12:38pm Reply

Are the dates correct for The Winter's Tale? It seems unusually spread out, and doesn't 7th June evening performance clash with a Nabucco?

6. Ruth Elleson responded on 15 April 2015 at 12:39pm Reply

(Ignore what I said about clashing with Nabucco - I went and re-checked. Winter's Tale still looks like an oddly-arranged run...)

7. Lyn responded on 15 April 2015 at 1:33pm Reply

As for me, a perfect season! A night full of Wheeldon, another full of Zenaida and Carlos, and a horror ballet done by none better suited to the genre than Scarlett! Plus the chance to relive the Winter's Tale which I loved, a very intriguing Cheri, and a new McGregor even... I'll be coming a lot.

8. Li responded on 15 April 2015 at 1:44pm Reply

Very excited to see Two Pigeons, and lovely also to see the Tchaikovsky PDD - I had a suspicion after the inclusion in the Life Reimagined gala! I do, however, share the disappointment at the same piece being included in different mixed programs.

9. Sandie responded on 15 April 2015 at 2:51pm Reply

Very disappointed with the new season. Looking forward to seeing a full-length Liam Scarlett ballet, but sadly very little else. Why so many repeats of R&J and Giselle when both have featured so recently? I love the classics but would have preferred to see something different in 2015-16, say Mayerling and Bayadere, neither of which have featured for several years.
    Not thrilled about the new system of repeating a ballet within two different triple bill programmes either. Surely the Royal has a big enough repertoire that this should not be necessary.
    Apart from Frankenstein, I'm afraid you will have to rely on the lure of the wonderful Natalia Osipova rather than the season's programme to tempt me into making the journey to London.

10. Mr Peter Annells responded on 15 April 2015 at 4:39pm Reply

Raven Girl !!! Is it finished yet?

11. Lizzie responded on 15 April 2015 at 8:52pm Reply

Very excited to see the new season listings. Giselle is my favourite ballet and not performed frequently enough for me! Really looking forward to the shorter works too, and Frankenstein. I will be coming a lot!

12. Michael Lipschitz responded on 15 April 2015 at 11:01pm Reply

NO -not Raven a Girl again!!!!

13. ML responded on 16 April 2015 at 1:08am Reply

Looking forward to The Two Pigeons, and very excited about After the Rain and Within the Golden Hour being performed by the Royal with a new work by Chris Wheeldon! Cheri is a very exciting prospect, and hope to be able to get tickets for The Winter's Tale this time. I'm curious to see what Carlos' version of Carmen will be like too!

14. Peter West responded on 16 April 2015 at 11:33am Reply

As a frequent member of the audience for the Royal Ballet Triple Bills, I feel a little cheated when confronted with the same piece in two programmes in the same season. Is this now the standard policy? I also appreciate that the original production costs of Raven Girl need to be recouped in future ticket sales but I wish the management all the best of luck in trying to shift those! The work was a triumph of style over substance. However, on a more positive note, I am overjoyed to see The Winter's Tale in the forthcoming season; narrative ballet at its best!

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 18 April 2015 at 9:28pm

Dear Peter

More rehearsal time is required for the increased amount of new work being created and also to introduce a greater number of new casts into certain ballets. Therefore, in order to alleviate pressure on the dancers at certain times during the year one or two ballets may be repeated within the Season. In the 2015/16 Season, of the two ballets being seen twice, Frederick Ashton's The Two Pigeons re-enters the repertory for the first time in 30 years and Christopher Wheeldon's Within the Golden Hour, enters the repertory for the first time.

Best wishes

Ellen

15. Ian Slade responded on 16 April 2015 at 12:07pm Reply

All jolly good. However, don't suppose I'll be seeing much of it as you persist in allowing the very highest level of Friends to buy out all the available Stalls Circle Standing. I go to everything and these are not just my preferred places, they are all I can afford that are close enough to actually see the ballet. Even as a Supporting Friend (£380 a year...) they are all sold out when booking opens.

16. MM responded on 16 April 2015 at 4:30pm Reply

No, please, not the Nutcracker AGAIN! And to make matters worse, there are no other ballets in the latter half of Dec. Last year for the holidays you showed Alice, the best ballet I've ever seen.

17. Joy McCann responded on 16 April 2015 at 5:54pm Reply

Will Carlos Acosta actually be performing in Carmen?

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 16 April 2015 at 9:16pm

Dear Joy

Although casting has yet to be announced I believe that Carlos will be performing in Carmen.

Best wishes

Ellen

18. Bob Long responded on 16 April 2015 at 9:35pm Reply

Oh No - Not Raven Girl. This is the worst ballet I have ever seen. I thought it had been put straight onto the scrap heap.

19. Janet responded on 16 April 2015 at 9:46pm Reply

Agree with previous comments about poor choice of classics. Would love to see Sleeping Beauty for instance, and Cinderella at Christmas rather than Nutcracker again. Please could we have more Weekend matinee performances for those who have to travel to London and back in one day eg to avoid expensive accommodation costs or for family commitments.
    I'm not sufficiently inspired by the choice of ballets or performance times to renew my membership. I'll rely on the cinema relays instead.

20. David Gifford responded on 17 April 2015 at 10:29am Reply

Delighted to see that Liam Scarlett is being allowed to blossom. He goes from strength to strength, and has a special talent for narrative. But Raven Girl? I thought it would die the quiet death it deserves. Wild horses wouldn't drag me to it again (and I bet a lot of others) - not that one could see it through the murk in the first place. And last year's interminable Raven Girl exhibition in the amphitheatre gallery only served to reinforce bad memories. Successful art? Yes. Successful ballet? No.
    Wonderful to see A Winter's Tale back, however.

21. Beverly responded on 17 April 2015 at 10:31am Reply

Having just seen the new programme, we are left feeling very disappointed.
    Where is Coppelia, which has not been performed for years, Bayadere, which is only seen rarely, and Mayerling? Please can we have more variety in the classical ballet programme?

22. Marian Mulady responded on 17 April 2015 at 3:10pm Reply

A disappointment for all of these reasons already posted."Raven Girl"AGAIN it was bad enough the last time.Unbalanced triple bills and not enough of the classics not seen at the House for some time.Nice to see some matinees,shame about the programming.

23. Martin Wiggs responded on 17 April 2015 at 4:05pm Reply

Will any Russian ballet stars be appearing in 'Romeo and Juliet?' Diana Vishneva , for example.

24. Jane Brown responded on 17 April 2015 at 6:06pm Reply

Thrilled to see Winters Tale back - it was a triumph! I shall certainly be revisiting that one.
    Am in agreement with those who have commented there are a few too many triple- bills (often a bit unsatisfying) and not enough full-length, classical ballets.

25. Mike responded on 18 April 2015 at 2:57am Reply

Wish there was more classical ballet, but a big cheer and thank you for Nutcracker! Christmas just isn't the same without it, and last year I had to suffer going to ENO instead, which wasn't even half as magical. And Alice for 31 Dec was good fun, but I couldn't make a habit out of it.
    This being said, does anyone at ROH ever consider bring back Fledermaus for New Year's Eve? I know it happened many years ago, I've seen a beautiful recording with Domingo and Te Kanawa.

26. Vera Dubrovina responded on 18 April 2015 at 6:31am Reply

Do we have confirmation if Bolshoi or Mariinskii are coming in August 2016 as we are already missing them this summer?

• Martin Wiggs responded on 23 April 2015 at 1:37pm

These Russian dancers are AMAZING! 2016 would be great ASAP!!!!

• Kadeem responded on 4 August 2015 at 5:42am

Hi Vera, I was just checking the Bolshoi's website and there it says that they will be in London from 25 July - 13 August! Not sure if this is confirmed but you can check their site! :) x

27. Pat responded on 19 April 2015 at 4:35pm Reply

I've taken some time to collect my thoughts on this upcoming season. What is missing - Fokine / De Valois / Nijinska / Ratmansky / Tudor / Bournonville / Nureyev / Petit / Corder / Van Manen / Hynd / Brandstrup. One ballet each by Ivanov / Petipa / Robbins / Balanchine - so much rich repertoire cast aside for the new -some of which failed before. As Ashton used to say - where are the steps?

28. Robert Clifford responded on 19 April 2015 at 8:08pm Reply

I think the program could have done with one more full length classics like Coppelia especially in place of the very poor Raven Girl. I am probably not the only one who is wondering if Wayne McGregor's Woolf Works will be any better.

29. Helen Gregory responded on 19 April 2015 at 8:51pm Reply

What a superb programme. Romeo and Juliet, The Nutcracker, Giselle, A Winters Tale. Looks as though I'll need to put The Royal Opera House as a second address!

30. Lynne responded on 19 April 2015 at 11:04pm Reply

Slightly disappointing. As others have commented, not enough full length, classical ballets, and no full length Ashton - I was really, really hoping for Cinderella this year. Great to see Rhapsody and Two Pigeons, but I really don't like ballets being repeated in different triple bills (no matter how much I love them) - makes me feel short-changed. Good to see Winter's Tale back and also to see Liam Scarlett being given the chance to choreograph a full length work (especially as I understand it will be more faithful to Mary Shelley's novel, with some romance running through it - rather than a pure horror story!).

31. Kadeem responded on 20 April 2015 at 11:06pm Reply

Hi, I was wondering when the student amphitheatre performances would be announced?

Please, please, please let one of them be for Romeo and Juliet as I've gotten my friends to say yes to coming if it's given the amphitheatre performance!

Thank you!

• Chris Shipman (Interim Head of Online Content) responded on 23 April 2015 at 4:25pm

Hi Kadeem,

These will be announced in due course - keep an eye on your emails if you've signed up!

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

32. midsman responded on 21 April 2015 at 2:46pm Reply

Delighted to see Pigeons returning in what mainly looks a doom and death season

33. midsman responded on 22 April 2015 at 7:10pm Reply

Am I right?apart from Nutcracker,not a tutu in sight all year???

34. Bette Lindsey responded on 24 April 2015 at 1:35pm Reply

When will we see Francesca Hayward in a major role again as she was brilliant in 'Manon'?

35. Sue responded on 24 April 2015 at 2:57pm Reply

Received book this morning, very disappointed not to have any ballet casting for the Autumn season. How long are we going to have to wait for it to be announced? Sincerely hope it's before booking starts! We too need to plan ahead!

36. Denise Edwards responded on 25 April 2015 at 9:15pm Reply

Some good ballets BUT what has happened to matinee performances on Saturdays. Not much on offer for those of us who work during the week and rely on the Saturday matinee.........disappointed!

37. Anne Battye responded on 26 April 2015 at 11:04am Reply

Very pleased to see that I can celebrate my 70th birthday at a performance of Two Pigeons, one of my Ashton favourites.

38. Valerie Knight responded on 29 April 2015 at 8:33pm Reply

Looking forward to The Winter's Tale again and I have always wanted to see The Two Pigeons. Interested to see Carlos Acosta's Carmen. I too would like to see Coppelia again and can't see too many Onegins! I hope to see a ballerina other than Osipova in some of the film relays next season.

39. Daniel S. responded on 3 May 2015 at 8:47pm Reply

I can't believe that nobody in this comment section has even mentioned the revival of MacMillan's The Invitation! I'm absolutely thrilled that this important work is being brought back to the stage and giving a new generation of audiences a chance to see it. That being said, the only other MacMillan offering is Romeo and I'd like see a little more representation in the future. Las Hermanas or La Fin du Jour? Concerto? Certainly there can be room enough for an All-MacMillan mixed bill in upcoming seasons. Also I agree with Rob G. for commenting that Ondine is due for a revival as well.

40. Laura responded on 6 May 2015 at 12:33am Reply

Crossing my fingers for a student amphitheatre performance of Frankenstein - it would fit so well with the Romantic literature side of my degree!

41. Mrs. A .S. Riddle responded on 6 May 2015 at 5:26pm Reply

Not enough full length clasisical ballets in the next programe. People living a long way out of London need more longer ballets e.g la bayedre Sleeping Beauty or Manon.

42. J responded on 17 May 2015 at 5:12pm Reply

Please please please can we have Ashton's brilliant 'Tales of Beatrix Potter' next year? The video performance was such a large part of my childhood, but I've never seen it live...

43. Carol Hayes responded on 25 May 2015 at 7:20am Reply

As a new comer to ballet, I was disappointed to see the Nutcracker again at Christmas. I was hoping for something different this year such as Cinderella or the sleeping beauty.
    Will be giving the ballet a miss this Christmas, sadly

44. Aline Jewell responded on 1 June 2015 at 11:59pm Reply

Why can't ROH provide the crucial information about ticket prices for the shows? Please do so in future as it is important for me to have an idea in order to plan ahead my budget.

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 4 June 2015 at 4:39pm

Dear Aline

Thank you for your message.

You can find the pricing for Autumn Season on the section of the site that carries Seating Plans (you can find it in the footer of the website). Here is the plan for the forthcoming Season:

We will release the same details for later Seasons as they go on sale.

Best wishes

Ellen

45. LUDMILA responded on 11 June 2015 at 6:24am Reply

Good Evening!!!How can i do to buy a ticket to Romeo and Juliet?

46. Beth Hawco responded on 22 June 2015 at 2:39pm Reply

Are all of the taped performances going to be made into DVD's? Im from Canada, and I was heartbroken when we stopped screening the royal ballet performances. I actually cried for half an hour when I saw that Natalia Osipova and Steven McRae would be performing the Tchaikovsky pas de deux, and now I am praying that it will be made onto DVD so I can order it and see it. If someone could please let me know, I would appreciate it with all my heart. seriously, this is a dream come true for me and I would give anything to see it.

• Chris Shipman (Interim Head of Online Content) responded on 23 June 2015 at 10:43am

Hi Beth,

Not all of our taped performances are necessarily released on DVD, but many are.

Do keep an eye on this site and social media pages for details should a release be confirmed.

Thanks

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

47. Ana responded on 1 July 2015 at 10:00pm Reply

Hi everyone,
    I´m Brazilian girl and I would like to know if: Are there some tour including Brazil in the next years?
    I would like to see Natalia and Carlos Dancing here in São Paulo.
    Regards!

• Chris Shipman (Interim Head of Online Content) responded on 2 July 2015 at 11:14am

Hi Ana,

Currently there are no tours confirmed.
      Watch this space for future years though.

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

48. Miranda mack responded on 4 July 2015 at 9:06am Reply

Oh no Nutcracker again for the December period?! How very disappointing and short sighted.why has this become the ballet every year when sleeping beauty or Cinderella would be equally fantastic at this time of year and would make a refreshing change from the, at least, fifth year running of the nutcracker?

49. Mette Westjordet responded on 14 July 2015 at 3:41pm Reply

I would normally come to London from Norway at least twice a year to see ballet performed at the Royal Opera. This seasons program is not a program to acknowledge regular visitors and is not much to travel such a long distance for.
    Also for several years there has been a visit during the late summer from either the Bolshoi or the Marinskij. What happened to this part of the program? I appreciated the concentrated program of fantastic performances.

50. penelope simpson responded on 14 July 2015 at 6:34pm Reply

Delighted to see Winter's Tale returning, but Raven Girl? As other posters have said, good luck with that. Some times it is just better to cut your losses!

Gripes: Very little Edward Watson as far as I can see. And please can we have Mayerling back whilst this great dancer is still at the height of his powers. I, too, would like more matinees. Getting too old to get home at 03.00 after a ballet performance - we don't all live in London, you know.

51. Tomo responded on 15 July 2015 at 2:17am Reply

Ear ear Miranda, enough nussknacker!

52. Petunia responded on 27 July 2015 at 12:39pm Reply

I have a question regarding the cinema screenings: there don’t seem to be any of them scheduled in Germany for next season, why is that?
    I live in Berlin, and without the performances I was able to see as a broadcast at the movie theatre in the past, I wouldn’t have become the Royal Ballet fan that I am now.
    :-(

• Sarah Walsh (Cinema Account Coordinator) responded on 27 July 2015 at 3:14pm

Hello Petunia,

We are still working with our international partners to get all of our cinemas confirmed for next season and very much hope that we'll be screening in Berlin again. Please check on our cinema website regularly because as soon as we have any updates the information will be made available there - http://www.roh.org.uk/cinemas

Best wishes,
      Sarah
      Cinema Account Coordinator

53. Maurice responded on 21 August 2015 at 6:17pm Reply

I am yet to see if the London Royal Opera/Ballet would continue its live cast screening to US cinemas. Any updates?

• Sarah Walsh (Cinema Account Coordinator) responded on 24 August 2015 at 11:08am

Dear Maurice,

Yes, we will be screening our live cinema season in the US. Our cinema partners there are finalising which cinemas as we speak and we hope to have all the information available on our website in early September, if not sooner - http://www.roh.org.uk/cinemas

Best wishes,
      Sarah
      Cinema Account Coordinator

54. Teresa Tse responded on 24 August 2015 at 7:08pm Reply

Hello Sarah,
    I'll watch for the cinema schedule in Portland, Oregon. Thank you.
    Best wishes,
    Teresa

55. Pippa Daniels responded on 25 August 2015 at 10:14am Reply

I am really missing Cinderella. When might we expect to see it again?

• Chris Shipman (Interim Head of Online Content) responded on 25 August 2015 at 11:26am

Hi Pippa,

I'm afraid no performances are currently scheduled, although you never know what future seasons may bring

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Content Producer

56. Margarida César responded on 21 September 2015 at 5:31pm Reply

I was quite disappointed to know that Osipova is not dancing Romeo and Juliet in the Autumn Season, as scheduled before (when I bought the ticket). What were the reasons for this change?

57. Bridie Macmahon responded on 29 September 2015 at 1:11pm Reply

I have been unable to book tickets for Elizabeth since all the performances are sold out. I see that it says 'filming' next to some of them. Does this mean that it will be available to watch on film at some stage?

• Chris Shipman (Interim Head of Online Content) responded on 29 September 2015 at 4:33pm

Hi Bridie,

Any filming/relay details will be announced via these page and our social media channels once confirmed.

Thanks,

Chris
      ROH Digital Producer

58. Monique Marti responded on 9 October 2015 at 7:17pm Reply

Last season I was so delighted to view your great programs on film at the AMC theatre in Torrance, California, USA. Where are you showing the 2015/2016 season? So far I have not been able to receive any information locally. I would appreciate a reply. Thank you in advance,
    Monique Marti

• Sarah Walsh (Cinema Account Coordinator) responded on 12 October 2015 at 10:21am

Dear Monique,

Cinemas can vary per season but there are a few cinemas close to Torrance who are screening some, if not all, of the titles in our 15/16 season. They include Cinepolis Pico Rivera 14, Playa Vista a9 on Jefferson Blvd and Huntington Beach 20 to name but a few.

You can find more information on which titles they're screening on our website - http://www.roh.org.uk/search/screenings?location=Torrance%2C+CA%2C+USA

I hope some of these options will be suitable for you and that you enjoy the screenings.

Kind regards,
      Sarah

59. Bette Lindsey responded on 21 October 2015 at 12:52pm Reply

How can one find out in advance if an understudy is replacing a principal dancer for a performance? I believe Francesca Hayward is to be an understudy for Giselle this season and would love an opportunity to see her dance that role. Thanks.

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 21 October 2015 at 1:12pm

Dear Bette

There is no list of understudies available in advance. We flag Principal cast changes at the earliest opportunity, but in the case of a dancer being indisposed or injured it may be that another member of the Company will dance the role, or that another dancer performing during the run will set in - there are a lot of variables in play.

Best wishes

Ellen

60. Pauline D responded on 14 November 2015 at 6:00pm Reply

When are you going to put on Cinderella again for the Christmas period ? In London this year we have The Nutcracker on Ice at The Royal Albert Hall , the ENB Nutcracker at Coliseum & yet another season of The Nutcracker at The Opera House, please bring back Cinderella .

• Ellen West (Head of Online Content) responded on 15 November 2015 at 2:22pm

Dear Pauline

We actually rested Nutcracker last year and showed Alice's Adventures in Wonderland instead, but many people were disappointed not to be able to see our production. Our Christmas offer for 2016/17 will be announced in spring with the rest of the Season.

Best wishes

Ellen

61. Julian responded on 19 November 2015 at 6:23am Reply

Really missed The Nutcracker last season, Christmas is just not the same without it, and other companies productions do not come close. Delighted it is back, not long now! In fact it is the highlight of the 2015/16 RB season for us, and we go to almost every ballet.

62. Moira Sexton responded on 9 December 2015 at 12:26am Reply

***** Carlos Acosto's CARMEN *****
    A return of Carlos Acosto's Carmen would make the season all the more perfect. x

63. Yes, as mentioned before, why do not the Royal Ballet set up Tales of Beatrix Potter again? I really think that would be a huge success for all ages and people.

64. Brian and Pat Tucker responded on 3 January 2016 at 9:59am Reply

We are so pleased that The Invitation is being performed again. We first saw it with Lynn Seymour and Desmond Doyle in the 60s. Their superb acting and dancing made this a very memorable performance. We also loved the music and have been trying to get a recording but have failed! We are very much looking forward to booking our tickets.

65. Rachel responded on 15 February 2016 at 11:22am Reply

Would be grateful if you could confirm when we can expect casting information for The Invitation. I believe tickets start selling tomorrow and, whilst not essential, it is always nice to book for favourite performers, in particular Alexander Campbell and Yuhui Choe, if they will be appearing in this production. Thank you.

• Chris Shipman (Interim Head of Online Content) responded on 19 February 2016 at 10:56am

Hi Rachel,

Casting for The Invitation will be confirmed very soon - watch this space

Thanks,

Chris

66. Kassandra responded on 1 March 2016 at 10:08am Reply

Hi Chris

Is there an update on casting for the Bolshoi season?
    THanks
    K

• Chris Shipman (Interim Head of Online Content) responded on 1 March 2016 at 6:06pm

Hi Kassandra,

I'm afraid confirmed casting has not yet been confirmed by the Bolshoi. Watch this space!

Thanks,