Antony and The Johnsons: Swanlights to be staged at Royal Opera House

Performance piece featuring dramatic light-show will be accompanied by Britten Sinfonia.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

9 May 2013 at 9.59am | 10 Comments

The Royal Opera House will present the first London performances of 'Antony and The Johnsons: Swanlights', with the Britten Sinfonia on 25 and 26 July.

The performance piece was originally commissioned by the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York, and was presented at Radio City Music Hall in January 2012 to great acclaim. The piece enjoyed further success at the 2012 Melbourne Festival.

A meditation on light, nature and femininity, Swanlights features songs from all four of Antony and The Johnsons's albums to date and is backed by the Britten Sinfonia and orchestral arrangements by Nico Muhly, Rob Moose and Maxim Moston.

The piece features dramatic lighting and special effects with a large 'crystal' centrepiece absorbing the performers, with the show described by lighting designer Paul Normandale as a 'series of reveals'.

Antony says:

'When I find the Swanlights, my eyes cry species, casting green and gold upon the black water.''

Tickets for Antony and The Johnsons: Swanlights are on sale now.

By Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News))

9 May 2013 at 9.59am

This article has been categorised Music and tagged Britten Sinfonia, by Antony and the Johnsons, Concert, Maxim Moston, Music, Nico Muhly, Paul Normandale, Production, Rob Moose, Swanlights

1. Anwar responded on 10 May 2013 at 11:56pm Reply

Am I the only person who is really unhappy at having not been given advance notice of this event? I'd hoped as a Friend to have received some kind of Email. I've just booked to attend... but am not pleased with my tickets.

2. George Giddings responded on 19 May 2013 at 12:36am Reply

Really looking forward to this!

3. What an amazing opportunity to watch this huge artist... Thank you

4. I am a friend of Carl Robertshaw who makes those chrystalline structures for the show. I am going as his guest....can't wait to see the show.

• Bob responded on 11 July 2013 at 3:43pm

You're so lucky to have been invited for free and to be the friend of the person that made the wonderful background of the show.

5. Jo responded on 13 July 2013 at 8:08pm Reply

This will surely be sensational. Such a treat to see Antony live with Levine's light work nice combo.

6. Would like to be at this one!

7. Eesa responded on 23 July 2013 at 7:41pm Reply

I'm gonna be there on Friday & I can't wait. I even bought myself a new pair if socks especially for the show

8. this is a truly amazing show - i saw it in Paris last year and at the royal opera house it will be totally mind blowing.....beautiful. and a special hurray to my friend Carl Robertshaw who is the man behind the gorgeous set........

9. Rich responded on 8 August 2013 at 11:40am Reply

Antony Hegarty and Chris Levine two of the most original artists of our time. I was upset to miss it but saw it in NY and it was spectacularly sensational. Defied category.