2012/13 season announced: Ballet and Dance

Details of the new season, which features six world premieres and two works new to the company.

By Royal Opera House

14 March 2012 at 10.14am | 31 Comments

Ballet and dance productions to be staged as part of the 2012/13 season have now been announced. Opening on the main stage with Swan Lake, Kevin O'Hare's  first season as Director features six world premieres and two works new to the company. Three ballets will be screened as part of the Royal Opera House Cinema season.

Updated 22 April 2012: You can now watch Kasper Holten and Kevin O'Hare talk about highlights of the Royal Opera House 2012/13 season

Tickets are not yet available with booking details yet to be announced. For more information, please register your details.

Ballet and Dance

All main stage unless detailed

* = world premiere

Three & Four QuartersROH2/Linbury Studio Theatre*
Choreo: Mats Ek, Javier de Frutos, Luca Silvestrini and Didy Veldman.
7 | 8 | 10 | 11 Sept

Swan Lake
Choreo: Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov.
8 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 mat and eve | 15 | 17 mat and eve | 23 | 25 | 27 Oct
6 | 9 | 10 mat and eve | 15 | 22 | 24 mat and eve Nov

Phoenix Dance Theatre Phoenix Dance Theatre/Linbury Studio Theatre
Choreo: Ana Luján Sánchez, Henri Oguike, Sharon Watson and Kwesi Johnson.
25 | 26 | 27 Oct

Viscera/Infra/Fool’s Paradise
Choreo: Liam Scarlett, Wayne McGregor and Christopher Wheeldon.
3 | 5 | 7 | 8 | 12 | 14 Nov

FAR and 3 new works* Wayne McGregor | Random Dance/Linbury Studio Theatre
Choreo: Wayne McGregor, Robert Binet, Alex Whitley and Paolo Mangiola.
15 | 16 | 17 Nov (FAR)
21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Nov (Triple bill)

Concerto/Las Hermanas/Requiem
Choreo: Kenneth MacMillan.
17 | 21 | 27 | 29 | 30 Nov
5 Dec

Be Like Water ROH2/Linbury Studio Theatre*
27 | 28 Nov

The Nutcracker
Choreo: Peter Wright after Lev Ivanov.
8 | 10 | 11 | 13 | 14 | 23 mat | 27 mat and eve | 28 | 31 Dec
1 | 2 mat and eve | 5 mat | 8 | 12 mat and eve | 15 | 16 Jan

The Wind in the Willows ROH2/Linbury Studio Theatre
Choreo: Will Tuckett.
12 | 13 | 14 | 15 mat and eve | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 mat and eve | 27 mat and eve | 28 mat and eve | 29 mat and eve | 30 mat and eve | 31 mat and eve Dec
2 mat and eve | 3 mat and eve | 4 mat and eve | 5 mat and eve Jan

The Firebird/In the Night/Raymonda Act III
Choreo: Mikhail Fokine, Jerome Robbins and Rudolf Nureyev after Marius Petipa.
22 mat | 29 mat and eve Dec
4 | 9 | 11 Jan

Onegin
Choreo: John Cranko.
19 | 22 | 23 | 25 | 26 mat | 30 | 31 Jan
1 | 2 mat and eve | 5 | 7 | 8 Feb

La Valse/Méditation from Thaïs and Voices of Spring pas de deux/Monotones I and II/ Marguerite and Armand
Choreo: Frederick Ashton.
12 | 13 | 15 | 21 | 23 Feb

Apollo/New Wheeldon*/New Ratmansky*
Choreo: George Balanchine, Christopher Wheeldon, Alexei Ratmansky.
22 | 23 mat February
7 | 9 mat | 14 Mar

Ballet Black ROH2/Linbury Studio Theatre
February and March

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
Choreo: Christopher Wheeldon.
15 | 19 | 21 | 23 mat | 25 | 27 | 28 Mar
2 | 6 mat | 11 | 13 Apr

The Metamorphosis ROH2/Linbury Studio Theatre
Choreo: Arthur Pita.
16 | 17 | 18 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 mat and eve Mar

La Bayadère
Choreo: Natalia Makarova after Marius Petipa.
5 | 9 | 12 | 20 mat | 27 mat Apr
1 | 2 | 6 mat and eve | 13 | 14 | 22 May

Mayerling
Choreo: Kenneth MacMillan.
19 | 25 | 30 Apr
3 mat | 30 May
1 mat and eve | 5 | 6 | 10 | 12 | 13 | 15 Jun

Raven Girl*/Symphony in C
Choreo: Wayne McGregor and George Balanchine.
24 | 28 | 29 mat and eve May
3 | 8 mat and eve Jun

New Scarlett Linbury Studio Theatre
Choreo: Liam Scarlett. May

The Royal Ballet School Summer Performances Linbury Studio Theatre
3 | 4 | 5 | 6 mat and eve Jul
Main stage | 14 Jul

1. Rachel Miller responded on 14 March 2012 at 11:25am Reply

Great, lots of matinees. Excited to see Onegin, Ashton & MacMillan mixed programmes and Symphony in C.

2. I wouldn't like to be too negative, but did you know there are other modern choreographers in the world apart from McGregor, Scarlett and Wheeldon? Is it necessary to be British to work at the Royal Ballet? Are they just alibis to avoid a real modern repertory?

• Matthew responded on 15 March 2012 at 1:38pm

Ratmansky is working with the company.

• Ken D responded on 15 March 2012 at 5:32pm

Quite right. It's not well know that Alexei Ratmansky was born in Cleethorpes.

• Do you call Mr Ratmansky a modern choreographer?

• Red Shoes responded on 7 June 2012 at 10:47am

Musicasola,
      Wonderful dancers such as Cojocaru, Rojo, Nunez, Kobborg, Acosta, McRae, and others...do not appear to have been born in the UK, so your question: "Do you have to be British to work with The Royal Ballet?" appears out of place. Perhaps you did not phrase it correctly and you only meant to refer to the choreographers?

3. d barry responded on 14 March 2012 at 9:38pm Reply

would be nice to see a mcgregor triple bill

4. Matthew responded on 15 March 2012 at 1:39pm Reply

A very exciting and balanced season. I am looking forward to it.

• Joan Hopton responded on 15 March 2012 at 4:13pm

Really, really pleased to see Onegin back comparatively soon after it was last perfomed. It is my favourite ballet and I would love to see it recorded. I believe there are possible issues relating to this, but it would have been great to see it on the big screen especially as the ballets chosen for cinema have all been shown on tv or cinema quite recently.

5. J Gingell responded on 16 March 2012 at 11:17am Reply

It looks as if the change of director is bad news fpr Ashton fans. Just one programme from the wonderful output of the founder choreographer of the company is very little - and where should we see it, if not at the Royal Ballet? I'm so disappointed.

6. Stephenph responded on 24 March 2012 at 8:26am Reply

I agree that Mc Millan and Ashton are in a different league from the others and should always feature in a Rh ballet season.
    Swan Lake and Nutcracker again! Classics, yes but they really dominate Christmas schedules.
    Pity you cannot fit in Sylve Guillen's extraordinary new "6,000 miles away" especially the imaginative Mats Ek final ballet "Bye" to the haunting last Beethoven piano sonata. It got a standing ovation in Paris last Thursday, ...
    Oh of course Sadler's Wells, beat you to it last year, and Sylvie, an ex Royal Ballet principal dancer........!
    lets hope the new broom is not one for the worse!

7. Sandra Lush responded on 28 March 2012 at 12:56pm Reply

Excited that Bayadere, Mayerling and Onegin are all back in the same season. Add in Alice and I think you have pretty much all my favourite full length ballets! I too would love to see Onegin recorded; Cojocaru/Kobborg were absolutely brilliant last year.

8. Sheila Goldberg responded on 1 June 2012 at 8:15am Reply

After suffering yet another production in the semi-dark at Sadler's Wells, please Mr O'Hare, keep the lights on - your customers are not 18 years old with great eyesight

9. Alexandra responded on 8 June 2012 at 6:09am Reply

Alina Cojocaru + Onegin = HEAVEN!!!!!

10. Clive Burton responded on 18 June 2012 at 2:30pm Reply

It is not until one looks abroad that one realises how (comparatively) limited a choice the Roya Ballet repertoire offers. We have some excellent dancers, so why not use them more in great (imported) full-evening works such as the Paris Opera Ballet does so successfully? And ABT's repertoire is astonishingly varied, balancing old favourites with worthwhile new work that won't frighten the horses! A few Gala-style multi-work evenings at triple bill prices might also encourage classical newbies into the House?

11. Ghost_13 responded on 3 July 2012 at 11:39am Reply

It is a pity that Apollo is being danced again, as everyone seems to have danced it in the last 12 months - it would be nice to see a triple of Scarlets or McGregors without Wheeldon. Would love to see the Royal tackle something like Afterlight.
    Btw hasn't Cojocaru joined the ABT on a semi-regular basis, she spent alot of time dancing for them last season.

12. Janine Smith responded on 20 August 2012 at 10:46pm Reply

I would like to see Daniel Proietto dance at the ROH again. He is the most beautiful, most expressive dancer that I have seen. He combines the greatest expression with technical perfection. He thrilled and moved us in Afterlight (Spirit of Diaghelev and Men in Motion), not to mention bringing the house down. He is sorely missed on the London dance scene.

13. Swan_love responded on 9 September 2012 at 2:28am Reply

I find the classical ballets scheduled are great.
    I love classical ballet so I'm satisfied with the titles.
    Contemporary ballet I find it very difficult to understand and enjoy....so I don't go.
    I prefer the classics.Only within the classics you can see the true potential of a principal dancer.
    I believe that having Swan Lake ,La Bayadere and the Nutcracker in a season is fabulous. I'll wait for next year Sleeping Beauty, to see again Roberta Marquez, (my favourite of all Auroras I've seen ) and it will give me the opportunity to see my favorite dancers in those roles. ( Lamb, Cuthbertson ,Nuñez and Yuhui Choe) But I wait with great expectation the assignment of roles to La Bayadere. I'd love to see Cuthbertson and Nuñez as Nikiya and Gamzatti, it would be the performance of the season¡¡¡ my two favourite dancers on the same stage and same time¡¡ memorable performance for sure¡¡

Another thing is that Paris will be given the Don Quichotte,next december, which I will not miss,of course¡¡, and I wonder when will be given Don Quichotte by the Royal Ballet??
    I read months ago in a fantastic book of the fabulous, friendly and excellent ex-principal dancer Deborah Bull, that she danced Kitri years ago substituting in very last minute a scheduled dancer while on tour with the Royal Ballet, so that means that Don Q was part of the Royal Ballet repertoire, and why not now??Even Darcey Bussell said Kitri is the role that had always wanted to dance but that for various reasons failed to dance while in the company.
    Seeing the energy and excellence of the dancers of the Royal Ballet, I'm sure they could offer a superb series of performances of Don Quichotte, I'm sure¡¡ Morera, Cuthbertson,Nuñez,Márquez would be excellent and fabulous Kitris¡¡ and Steven Mcrae , my favourite EVER dancer would be a WONDERFUL Basilio¡¡¡ Please, schedule Don Quichotte¡¡
    Don Quichotte is a wonderful ballet .It is great to see it performed by The Maryiinsky or the ABT, of course it is, BUT it would be doubly great to see the whole ballet danced by the principals of the Royal Ballet and the entire company¡¡

14. Valerie Knight responded on 8 October 2012 at 8:44pm Reply

I agree with comments about Onegin =

15. Marc responded on 29 October 2012 at 2:38pm Reply

i'm sad to see that 1) Galeazzi's no longer doing Onegin, 2) Nunez no longer doing Alice.

• Chris Shipman (Content Producer (Social Media and News)) responded on 29 October 2012 at 5:14pm

Hi Marc,

Unfortunately, with the live nature of the art form, casting is subject to change. We're sure the casts that are performing will give great performances.

Thanks,

Chris
      Social Media Manager

16. I just saw a Youtube video of Swan Lake of which I thought was the ROH,but I soon relized I was watching The Royal Swedish Ballet version of Swan Lake instead. Seems to me their version of Swan Lake looks so much lighter and more pleasing to the eye than the ROH version. The ROH version is so dark and heavy-handed with the swans who have to wear headresses of jules than soft white feathers and long tiles instead of short white base tutes, I even recently saw an old Youtube vide of Anthoiny Dowel and Natalya Makarova that featured tha swans wearing the short white tutes and soft white feathers instead of thoise ugly headresses the swans of the ROH wear now that look to me like the bike helmet you wear for riding a bike, even the scenire looks so dark and for boding too. I thgink the ROH needs to lighten up in Swan lake and the Sleeping Beuty to. Also in the first act in Gisel,insead of the brown and tan dress Gisel wears could also lighten up too with blue and white skirt. ""astetically, ROH should lighten up from an audence point of view for a more astetically pleasing look",think about this and how and audience would want to wach a ballet siting in one fo those seats being in the at the Ryoal Opera House.

17. gail astle responded on 4 December 2012 at 12:13pm Reply

Love the new seasons programme.....but would love to see La Fille Mal Garde included sometime soon....

18. Terry Carch responded on 3 January 2013 at 9:36pm Reply

Sorry about mispeled words,but I still think the Royal Ballet should lighten up when it comes the audience watching a ballet be it sitting in the front row or sittimg way in the back,etc.

19. Cindy responded on 12 January 2013 at 11:02am Reply

Booked to see Nunez dancing last night 11th only to find there was a cast change. No explanation: SO disappointed!

20. Sergio Galvez responded on 17 January 2013 at 4:31pm Reply

I'm really excited about watching Marianela Nuñez and Carlos Acosta, as well as Matthew Golding in La Bayadere... Can't wait to see them!

21. Gaynor Yates responded on 29 January 2013 at 6:16pm Reply

We took 45 children aged 7-11 yrs to see Onegin today. It was a fabulous performance - amazing dancing and choreography. For most pupils, this was their first experience of classical ballet - they loved it!
    It is a fantastic opportunity from the ROH to offer heavily reduced tickets to schools. The day was so well organised from start to finish - THANKYOU!

22. I've always wondered why we see so few performances from ROH on the BBC , or indeed any of the main channels? No wonder opera & ballet is still perceived as being elitist.
    I recently enjoyed the new Eugene Onegin & also the Cranko ballet of the story.

Hope the speling is aceptible!

23. vivien saxby responded on 2 April 2013 at 3:20pm Reply

I saw Alice in Wonderland at the Picturehouse Stratford last Thursday with a number of friends I had persauded to come and we were just blown away by the whole thing, dancing, costumes, scenery and production. Thanks so much - please do it again some time so the rest of the world can enjoy it.