Colleges will undertake their own shortlisting process, selecting finalists for each category.
Students will need to submit entries to their college first. Colleges should then send the following materials for each finalist to the Royal Opera House via the Submittable platform:
- A 90 second video of the student pitching their design. They should use their sketchbook to help demonstrate how they have responded to the brief and the Director’s Vision
- Three photos of the student’s completed design
- College judging notes about the entry, including why they have been selected as a finalist or runner up.
For further information on shortlisting and submitting entries, please download our judging guidelines for 2017/18.
Please download our judging template for your internal judging process.
Things to consider
- How can you make the judging process as creative as the design process and celebrate all the entries?
- How can you celebrate all the entries within your college and local area?
- Who will your judges be? You could invite a local designer or director, course tutors, or Heads of Faculty. Please download our template letter for external judges here.
- Have you considered the design process as well as the final design in your selection?
- Has the student shown how they came to their final design and have they demonstrated their research techniques and understanding of the process?
- Does the student take the brief on a creative journey of exploration based on the Director's Visions?
- Does the portfolio demonstrate the wider design or technical assumptions the student has made in order to achieve their final piece?
- Does the final design fulfill the needs of the project (for example, does it reflect the Director's Vision and technical requirements, such as movement for costume design or relevant information for marketing strategy)?
- How can you provide feedback for students?
When your students have completed their final product, they can be presented with a participation certificate, downloadable here: participation certificate.
Get in touch
If you have any questions, please contact the Design Challenge Team on 01708 891200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.