An adventure in creative learning for teachers and their schools.
- Write an Opera is a professional development programme for teachers
- Following an intensive residential course in August, teachers lead an in-school project where the students devise and stage their own opera from scratch
- Write an Opera equips teachers with the skills, resources and inspiration to support students’ learning across the curriculum through the arts and creativity
"This is easily the best course I have ever been on and will have a massive impact on both how I teach and on my school." Sophie Alcock, Charles Dickens Primary School, London
Write an Opera course in 2014
In summer 2014 the Write an Opera course will be taking place 9th – 13th August. There are still a few spaces for teachers in England.
The cost is inclusive of tuition, accommodation, food, resources and support for your in-school project, including two workshops with professional artists*.
*In-school workshop available for schools in England.
Application deadline: Friday 27 June 2014
Please download and complete an application form. Please note, our applications are displayed as PDFs. Get a free PDF reader.
For more information please contact email@example.com or call 020 7212 9410
Who can apply?
Any teacher with an enthusiasm for, interest in or a curiosity about the arts and creative learning. We’ve worked with everyone from primary, secondary and special school teachers with little or no experience of the arts to Advanced Skills Teachers of music. Write an Opera is suitable for teachers working with students at all key stages.
Previous participants have found a colleague’s support invaluable, so we recommend that two teachers from the same school attend the course.
On the course, you will:
- Attend a week-long residential course with other teachers from across the UK in beautiful surroundings with good food!
- Work alongside professional artists with extensive arts education experience.
- Undertake practical workshops that introduce you to every aspect of devising and staging an original opera.
- Receive extensive written materials and other resources to support your understanding of the process.
- Have opportunities to explore your own creative development.
After the course, you will be able to help your pupils:
- Learn through experience as they collaborate on all the processes involved in creating and performing a piece of music theatre.
- Generate a new piece of music theatre or opera based on their own experiences and interests, leading to maximum involvement and sense of ownership.
- Take responsibility for devising the story, writing the text, composing the music, designing sets, costumes and lighting, marketing and performing their opera.
- Develop team and interpersonal skills as they form their own production company.
- Basing their roles on professional models, they will gain an understanding of the performing arts and a variety of possible arts careers.
Take a look at our frequently asked questions.
Listen to teachers, composers and designers discussion their experiences on Write an Opera:
All course fees are heavily subsidized. A limited number of bursary places may be available to teachers in England. Please contact the Learning & Participation team for details.
Generously supported by Mrs Lily Safra, Teale Foundation and the Banham Charitable Trust.